• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Getting my six year old started in DG.

Diskhunter

My boy just turned 6 yesterday! He wants to throw with us at the park and DG track when we go. He can throw a regular sport disc really well (for 6). He does play in a modified ultimate league with us. What transition Kids disc's should we look at? He has a Innova Birdie, Sonic, and DX Shark (in 150g) in his bag right now. Should we stay with those? I would like to keep it as simple for him as we can. Any suggestions form those who have kids or taught the same age? Thanks for the help!:)

Attachments

• Calebs 6th birthday 064.jpg
    Calebs 6th birthday 064.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 24
I have a six year old boy as well. He throws a Cobra because it looked cool and it was the lightest disc at the shop (19th Hole in Sylmar, CA). He throws about 40 ft. Good enough to beat my wife. His fav part is maken sure his disc is first in the basket, whether he throws or runs it in.

I hope he will get more interested in the rules soon.

There is a local guy here who has a 6 year old that can throw almost 200ft. This kid is amazing to watch. His father takes him out to play at least 3 times a week.

You might try the Ultralights by Quest AT, They do have some in the 130's. I started my daughter(9) with one of those and a 150 Teebird and made her use the 175 Gateway Magic putter right off. I wanted her to learn to throw straight first and I wanted her putting to always feel the same as she grew up. She now throws 165ish weights best and loves the Teebird still. She is now 12. I don't know if this helps, but there you go.

150g discs sound good. My daughter is 7 and I have bought her an Aviar, Polecat, Shark, and Cobra, all in the 130's range. Plus, my 4 yr old son will throw them, too.

My son and I play all the time!!!! He is 6 also!!!! I try to let him use the lightweights!!! But most of the time he goes with the coolest looking one!!!! He tops out about a hundred ft!!!! He loves the dragon!! And believe it or not, he uses a putter and rolls a lot of discs!!!!!! Over a 100ft!!! JUst bring him out with you and let him rip it!!!!!!

I would say what he has now is great for him until he starts throwing closer to 200', then you could try something like a 150 class leopard.

My boy just turned 6 yesterday! He wants to throw with us at the park and DG track when we go. He can throw a regular sport disc really well (for 6). He does play in a modified ultimate league with us. What transition Kids disc's should we look at? He has a Innova Birdie, Sonic, and DX Shark (in 150g) in his bag right now. Should we stay with those? I would like to keep it as simple for him as we can. Any suggestions form those who have kids or taught the same age? Thanks for the help!:)

My 5 year old throws a 110 g polecat I found one day on Discgolfcenter.com. 150 is a little heavy, don't you think? If you were going to do 150, I'd get a stingray-you'll get more glide. The sonic is a good idea too. My 3 year old plays with a mini, when she gets out of the stroller.

Thanks everyone for the help. Looking forward to a few years of DG with my kids. Keep them throwing. He currently throws a 150 g ultimate sport disc well. He maxies out a good drive about 110'. We will try some of the lighter weights. Thanks for the help!

My son just turned 7 and has been playing with me for the last year. He throws with 150 weights and when he tries can throw about 50 to 60 feet with no problem. He likes the Valkyrie but I think it's just because I do. He also has a viper, roc and an aviar putter that is 138g. The important thing is just let him play and enjoy the time spent together. He will come into his own in no time. Another couple years he will be outdriving you off the box.

My son just turned 7 and has been playing with me for the last year. He throws with 150 weights and when he tries can throw about 50 to 60 feet with no problem. He likes the Valkyrie but I think it's just because I do. He also has a viper, roc and an aviar putter that is 138g. The important thing is just let him play and enjoy the time spent together. He will come into his own in no time. Another couple years he will be outdriving you off the box.

o yea! The time together is what it's ALL about. He loves the disc sports whether its ultimate or DG. He seem to have passion in all he does with the discs. I hope he stays with it, as a lot of the courses in our area are a great work out too. You can kill two birds with one stone. Thanks for the help.

My son is also 6, and been trying to get him out playing, although right now the weather has not been helping. When I "cash out" at tournaments, I go and look for the lightest discs I can find, and if there are some 150g or less, I'll get some for him. Right now he's got a 130ish archangel, a valkyrie,a roc, an r-pro dart, and an r-pro aviar in 160ish. He's starting to get throwing down, and actually has good accuracy, just not a lot of distance, and like the others posting, he's not really about the rules yet....but at least he's out, and playing. Looking forward to the weather drying out and warming up so we can get out and play again!

Latest posts