• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Going to Denver this winter, what courses are typically good to play?

Also, just an FYI for the OP.

With nice roads and light traffic the drive from Vail to Denver is probably just under two hours.

Sprinkle some winter weather and ski traffic in and you can likely add an hour to that trip or more. It's literally taken me four and a half hours to get from the tunnel to my house due to traffic and Vail is west of the tunnel.

That's true, it can very often be a nightmare on I-70, especially on a Sunday when everyone is driving back to Denver. Factor in crappy weather and you can easily spend most of your day going bumper-to-bumper for 5 hours on a trip that should take two.

Timely thread. I'll be in the Centennial area the week after Christmas. I saw some courses in Parker and Aurora. Are any of them good to play in late December (weather permitting)?

Timely thread. I'll be in the Centennial area the week after Christmas. I saw some courses in Parker and Aurora. Are any of them good to play in late December (weather permitting)?

If I was in Centennial I'd consider making the short drive to Elizabeth and play Prickly Pines.

If you didn't want to do that then Westfork or Village Greens are probably the closest. I'm not a fan of either of those though.

Fehringer isn't too far from Centennial either.

If I was in Centennial I'd consider making the short drive to Elizabeth and play Prickly Pines.

If you didn't want to do that then Westfork or Village Greens are probably the closest. I'm not a fan of either of those though.

Fehringer isn't too far from Centennial either.

Prickly pines is really an outstanding course.

And, as someone mentioned above, I don't necessarily think there are any "must play" courses in the Denver area.

There used to be! Colorado Heights was awesome, one of the better city park courses I've ever played. Fortunate enough to have been able to play a bunch of rounds out there!

Also, just judging off your DGCR courses played it looks like this may be your first time playing at elevation? Just as a heads up, discs will be WAY more stable than you're used to in Alabama, even on the non-mountain courses (though not quite as much). Expect a 2 disc difference in Denver, 3 in the mountains. I was throwing DX discs I hadn't touched since I first started playing and they were still finishing left.

You are correct! I haven't been able to head out west much so I don't have experience at elevation. Thank you so much for the advice. I will only be able to take 4 or 5 discs since we are flying. I definitely would've taken the wrong discs! 80% of my bag is OS so I will have to dig out some US stuff to take with me.

Jonny Roberts is your best bet for a decent short course on the north side of town, and has perhaps the longest history of any Denver area course, although I never understand the oft heard sentiment:

IMO Jonny is more of an Avoid-Play any time other than winter - when the course isnt totally overcrowded

The course used to be really fun and longer when it played by the river. Was one of my favorite Colorado city courses back then. But there was safety concerns with other park users and they changed it to a pitch and putt course. So that old sentiment should probably be RIP'd as well.

Lots of good advice here based on my limited CO experience. Worst case you have an awesome ski trip with tons of snow. Generally speaking the city courses I have played are pretty ho-hum, not many trees some play close to sidewalks and other park activities and are mostly rolling hills with tons of wind. The really must play courses are in the foothills and mountains and really can only be played in summer/fall range.

Plan on just bagging some courses to say you did. Ken Caryl may be 1st CO dg course, or one of the first, short 9 holer only need 2-3 discs. Dry Dock if you like beer, course on site 9 hole can be played backwards as full 18. Some fun, gimmicky shots. Expo park is nice especially if snow covers goose poop. Good luck and hopefully you get some decent weather in Denver as the mountains get blasted. :thmbup:

Also, just judging off your DGCR courses played it looks like this may be your first time playing at elevation? Just as a heads up, discs will be WAY more stable than you're used to in Alabama, even on the non-mountain courses (though not quite as much). Expect a 2 disc difference in Denver, 3 in the mountains. I was throwing DX discs I hadn't touched since I first started playing and they were still finishing left.

I mostly play at altitude but recently played very close to sea level and also played down at about 1000' of elevation as well.

I don't know if I'd say there was a drastic difference in disc stability but it is definitely noticeable.

I have had the chance to play here with people visiting from lower elevations and I always smile when they throw a big hyzer OB when their favorite hyzer flip disc just holds hyzer and fades.

Oddly, I don't change discs when going from 5000' to 10000' and don't see a drastic difference in my flights but dropping from 5000' to 60' I really had to stable up to avoid turning things over or even throwing those unintentional rollers I've always heard people talk about.

We took a trip to visit some Colorado friends in May and I was in a similar situation. I had one day where I'd be able to squeeze in a round, but it had to be near Denver, Colorado Springs, Boulder, or Nederland since we were visiting friends in all those areas. I chose Wondervu and it did not disappoint. The views were incredible, the course was fun, and more importantly it was on our way from Colorado Springs to a friends place above Nederland.

I need to go back and set aside more time to play Bailey and Bucksnort. I heard lots of good things about those two as well.

I would say, bring a few discs with. Check with a local shop or look here for the most recent reports on courses. At best, you get to play. At worst, you have a ton of awesome skiing to look forward to.

Weather is stupid nice these days. Albeit windy, but hey, if you practice to play in the wind the wind becomes a lesser entity!

That wind can just go back to Kansas or Wyoming where it belongs.

Well true. I do have to say there are a few courses that are pretty nasty in the Parker area that seem to be their own wind farms.

I think the course that almost constantly has the most wind in the Denver metro area has to be Birdsnest.

I think the course that almost constantly has the most wind in the Denver metro area has to be Birdsnest.

I "might" have to agree with you on that although I have a feeling that Westcreek in Parker might have to be a strong competitor as the "windiest"!

I "might" have to agree with you on that although I have a feeling that Westcreek in Parker might have to be a strong competitor as the "windiest"!

I can't argue with that because I've only played Westcreek once. That's the one on the south side of the metro area with the really weird pars? Like a 7,000 foot course with a par 63 or something?

Latest posts