• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Got shut down at Walden Park today

One great big festering neon distraction, I've a suggestion to keep you all occupied.

I hear ya. Believe me, I'm already sorry I even mentioned it to this crowd. Although being told to die along with pretty much everyone you know as the Pacific swallows us up did seem a tad excessive. I guess I must the a-hole for attempting to share an experience I thought was interesting.

Too much "shepherd" and not enough "bad mother f***er."

:D

A: Walden Park was the second choice for a course in Walnut Creek.

B: It's really small and can only hold so many players/park users.

C: An old lady gave you a bad look and you didn't want to play? Sad day for disc golf.

Let's face it, in this day and age, as soon as someone sees another person enjoying themselves, they're bound to find reason to object.

How's the saying go...? Can't please all the people all the time, so ignore them and be happy anyway...or something like that.

I hear ya. Believe me, I'm already sorry I even mentioned it to this crowd. Although being told to die along with pretty much everyone you know as the Pacific swallows us up did seem a tad excessive. I guess I must the a-hole for attempting to share an experience I thought was interesting.

Ah, don't let it bug ya. We're like Statler and Waldorf from the Muppet Show: fancy ourselves witty and scathing we do, but mostly we're harmless. As for oddjob, he's from near Nashville. 'Nuff said.

You should have played anyway! Don't forget you have a bag full of hard plastic you can throw at your disposal! Old granny's reaction time isn't quite what it used to be.
I can't let this go without my favorite angry old lady tale. It was the mid 70's as we headed from the mall into the local subdivision in my buddy's Vanagon. We came to a very large traffic circle and, not having seen it before, decided to make a few rounds to see how the van handled. During the 2nd lap I could see an old lady coming down the sidewalk towards the circle, leaning on a 3-footed cane. On the 3rd lap she was just reaching the circle. On the 4th lap, she was STANDING in the lane of the traffic circle, yelling at us and trying to hit our van with her moss-covered, 3-handled family gredunza. We threw in the towel and left.

Last edited:
I'm not quite grasping the scenario here. You pulled into a parking lot that was too crammed to fit into, and an old lady glared at you... So you immediately decided that it was because you're a disc golfer? Most of us find way too much of our identities as disc golfers, but how on earth did she even know why you were there? Do you have a big flashing sign on top of your car that says "I'm here to play disc golf and ruin your neighborhood"? I hope so. I really do. But despite my facetious attitude, I have to wonder if maybe grandma was just having a bad day... Or she thought that the lot was too full and didn't need another car... Or maybe her car was one of the ones blocked in and she was pissed that you would make it worse. Based on the details in your story, I doubt it had anything to do with what you do for fun.

Ftr, this pansy ass **** is the reason for my first post ITT.

It was the way the old lady was glaring at me combined with the articles I read where people in the neighborhood didn't want disc golfers coming to "their" park from out of town. I imagine she was one of those people...

If you really want to grow the sport, next time just mow that old lady down with your RV. J/K ;)

Sounds like to me that you missed out on a hell of an opportunity to educate and expose those who don't get what our sport is and how much those families could also enjoy it at their park. My little cousins have been having a blast with me and never met someone who tried DG and hated it.

Suck it up get some balls and do something proactive not reactive.. Those people obviously dont understand and you will get no where with an us vs them mentality... Its a community park bud' do some community service and quit whining. Its the fact we have to face with this sport and can only be changed by those who play it.

Us 20-30 year olds need to step our game up and im not talking on the DG course- in life. Be a man'

Or get some cheese and go home'

Last edited:
2416594-captainamerica.png

this

My "Home Course" has a pavilion that can be rented, $125-$250, depending on if you live in the city or not. Anyway, it was rented once and on of the regulars came out to play a round. The person who rented it told him he couldnt not play because he rented the PARK!? The regular informed him he rented the PAVILION, NOT the PARK. Sadly the the renter called the cops. The cop told the renter that, yes, indeed, he only rented the Pavilion. Who the HELL thinks gou can rent the whole park? Let alone for "Only" $125 to $250!? SMH.

My "Home Course" has a pavilion that can be rented, $125-$250, depending on if you live in the city or not. Anyway, it was rented once and on of the regulars came out to play a round. The person who rented it told him he couldnt not play because he rented the PARK!? The regular informed him he rented the PAVILION, NOT the PARK. Sadly the the renter called the cops. The cop told the renter that, yes, indeed, he only rented the Pavilion. Who the HELL thinks gou can rent the whole park? Let alone for "Only" $125 to $250!? SMH.

The exact scenario happened at my home course. It was Easter and they had hidden Easter eggs on hole 15, even a couple in the basket. :wall:

best solution to an encounter with disgruntled people is to start a thread about it

(and come on, who isn't disgruntled these days?)

yes, i have encountered situations where somebody gave me the stink eye when i was trying to play a local course. i just smiled and blew them a kiss. fight anger with love