• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Grip EQ A-Series Large Tour Bag

Thanks for the replies! I wasn't sure if any of them worked better or worse with the bags side pockets.

On another note, I feel knowing which direction the bag tips naturally helps with how you set it down on inclines. And I would also prefer wet and dirty discs to a wet back
In my opinion the Roll-A-Stool is the best on the market. Its popular for a reason & they're easy to acquire. Since I posted in the thread that mattc linked to I have tried a few other stools & I like the Roll-A-Stool best. The LSDiscs, DD (Dynamic Discs), ACERUN & Huk Lab stools are just Roll-A-Stools with their logos on them. There are quite a few disc golf companies that put their logo on the Roll-A-Stool. You can get a Roll-A-Stool a lot cheaper if you get one that doesn't have a disc golf company logo on it. I paid around $40 for my Huk Lab stool when it would of only been around $25 if I would of gotten one not from a disc golf company. Take it from someone who has spent to much $ on stools & disc golf equipment in general, just get a Roll-A-Stool.

Last edited:
i like having a shorter stool so the rain fly will cover it
thats why i got the really short one
if i ever buy another one, i would like to have a walk stool

most times when my bag tips over, i expect it to be a yard sale, but to my surprise nothing ever falls out

New Grip owner

Well, I know I'm late to the party, but I just picked up my new all black Grip A from a local shop. I'm thrilled to be part of the owner's club, and I think I'll keep the bag mostly stock. No sharpie, no speaker mod...maybe snap-on clips and pulls and that's about it. I've been wearing the bag around the house to annoy my fiancee because there's 796 feet of snow here and it's 3 below. Loving it so far.
My only complaint is that this thing collects pet hair like it's its job. :)
Anyway, my disc golf brethren are the only ones who really understand. Non discers don't really get why I'm nerding out on a backpack, so I'm bringing my enthusiasm here.

Attachments

• CYMERA_20140301_111930.jpg
    CYMERA_20140301_111930.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 61
Well, I know I'm late to the party, but I just picked up my new all black Grip A from a local shop. I'm thrilled to be part of the owner's club, and I think I'll keep the bag mostly stock. No sharpie, no speaker mod...maybe snap-on clips and pulls and that's about it. I've been wearing the bag around the house to annoy my fiancee because there's 796 feet of snow here and it's 3 below. Loving it so far.
My only complaint is that this thing collects pet hair like it's its job. :)
Anyway, my disc golf brethren are the only ones who really understand. Non discers don't really get why I'm nerding out on a backpack, so I'm bringing my enthusiasm here.

You will be loving it for a long time to come....just like me. I also wore mine around the house when I first got it, mostly to see how it felt. So comfortable right? I would have 24 discs in the bag and it doesn't even feel heavier than my schoolbag with a laptop inside. I wouldn't know about the pet hair thing, but I am so meticulous about getting the bag dirty....I even bring a stool out to courses, not for me to sit, but to prop up the bag so it doesn't have to sit on the ground.

I can appreciate being meticulous about keeping it clean. That's actually why I ended up with black because some of the gray ones I saw were showing dirt more easily on the bottom. I don't think I can fit 24 in mine with the putter and mid lineup I have. Maybe it will stretch out a bit over time to allow a couple more? But even still, I have two more in it than what I was carrying in my latpro and it's noticeably more comfortable and feels lighter. I also like that I don't have to bend over as far to pick it up off the ground.

I can appreciate being meticulous about keeping it clean. That's actually why I ended up with black because some of the gray ones I saw were showing dirt more easily on the bottom. I don't think I can fit 24 in mine with the putter and mid lineup I have. Maybe it will stretch out a bit over time to allow a couple more? But even still, I have two more in it than what I was carrying in my latpro and it's noticeably more comfortable and feels lighter. I also like that I don't have to bend over as far to pick it up off the ground.

I have 3 putters in the quiver pouch. I can have up to 20 discs in the main compartment, but as you said it might have been because of use and stretching. Right now, I only have 18 discs in the main compartment, because its easier to pull discs out. I have my teebird and destroyer in the disc slot above the main compartment. And I have the Roc3 in the little pocket between the disc slot and quiver pouch (the one meant for cell phones and keys). You should be able to get 24 discs in as well.

Anybody hade a or have a hyzer bomb flak 3 and a grip a. If so how do they compare?? It's between these to for me. Plus hyzer flak 40$ cheaper....

Anybody hade a or have a hyzer bomb flak 3 and a grip a. If so how do they compare?? It's between these to for me. Plus hyzer flak 40$ cheaper....

These are the two that I narrowed mine down to eventually. I liked the look of the Hyzerbomb and the top storage, but I asked this same question and received no response. Ultimately, the popularity of the Grip, because of performance, durability, company reputation, warranty, etc. led me to conclude that it's what I wanted. And, I like the fact that the Grip will carry a stool and umbrella without sacrificing a cupholder. Hopefully, someone can answer your question for you. All I can say is that when you get a brand new awesome bag in February and it's still below zero with at least a three foot snowpack, it's a total buzzkill. LOL. All I want to do is walk around a course with my new bag, but alas, I just carry it downstairs and set it next to me while I make my little fifteen foot putts.

Edit: Also, one of the big factors for me was being able to try on the Grip. I don't like spending that kind of money on the hope that it fits and is comfortable. I was able to try on the Grip and the Ranger, but not the Hyzerbomb. The Grip, once I put it on, became basically a no-brainer. That, and the thing just feels solid in your hand. You can tell it's quality material when you see and touch it.

i have both bags and can say that its a spit down the middle. The grip bag is better construction from the stand point of the bottom with the feet and the hard insert being held in place. The top spot for the putter is also better. The down fall to the grip is overall storage. I can hold more in a flak by five discs if i recall. my biggest problem with the flac was the top storage being velcrowed in place. However the last update to the bag has changed that to a zipper. Might want to check with the boys if the new run is fully running that way.

What i have come to is on a normal round i would use the grip due to being able to run to the car. As for tourny rounds i think the flak wins out with the ability to keep everything i might need and then some.

bty flak rides better on the back.

I'm a little surprised the Flak rides better for you. I would not have thought that in reviewing the pictures of it. Of course, every body is different.
Good for them if they're making an awesome product. It helps all of us. I don't regret going with Grip, but I'd still be curious to get my hands on a Flak to check it out.

i would have thought the same thing. The flak just forms a little more to the back where the grip is kind of vertical. now that i have around 75 to 100 rounds with the grip the padding is starting to form a little more and feeling better on the back. Only time will tell on them both.

We'll hell bound let me ask you this. If you could only keep one bag which would it be flak or grip. And also dose the flak bag sag???????????��������

man thats a hard one. Yes the flak does sag some but not like you think. Its hard to just pick one but if i had to i would say go with the grip for everyday play. How ever the prodigy bags are looking like they took the top compartment of the flak and added it to the grip bag might be something to look into when they come out.

I would not go with the sailent bag. I seen them last weekend for the first time and they look like a cheap knockoff of a flak.

man thats a hard one. Yes the flak does sag some but not like you think. Its hard to just pick one but if i had to i would say go with the grip for everyday play. How ever the prodigy bags are looking like they took the top compartment of the flak and added it to the grip bag might be something to look into when they come out.

I would not go with the sailent bag. I seen them last weekend for the first time and they look like a cheap knockoff of a flak.

If all of the information I have is correct, then Salient bags are exactly a cheap knockoff of a Flak.

I think that, all else being equal at the moment, Grip is a better buy.

Other companies will catch up -- at least in theory -- but right now, Grip has a longer track record, a larger distribution base and has put out the highest quality product available in the backpack market.

Smaller companies are great. I prefer to support them as well, but when you're going to spend so much, you want something that you know is going to last. Something that's going to show up in use-able condition (I'm thinking of the Flak issues that people had to fix just to make it use-able).

And for $222 you can't beat the price right now. It's a bit more expensive, but it's going to last.

i would have thought the same thing. The flak just forms a little more to the back where the grip is kind of vertical. now that i have around 75 to 100 rounds with the grip the padding is starting to form a little more and feeling better on the back. Only time will tell on them both.

Does the Flak have an internal frame like the grip does? I wonder if that's why you get the sag with the flak and the initial stiffness from the grip.

Bottom half on the outside and the top pocket is only on the window. I wish the grip would try to use some of the dead space they created for storage and add a few d rings on the outside of the bag for towels and tags. Go with the grip for sure. I love the hyzer bomb and am looking at getting the bag with a cooler for shorter rounds and hot days. Btw the stool or umbrella storage on the ground of the bag does not work all that well. I kept having to screw my seat back together every time I would store it when I was not using it. Should pass that on to the boys. I'm sure they would love to have the feed back.

Salient bags do look a lot like the flak bag with a 50.00 lower price point.

I went ahead and bought a green/gray Grip A series so I guess ill need to sell my Ranger now. I had no complaints from the Ranger but after reading about the Grip extensively, and the sweet colors, I decided to make the switch. Main attractions for me were the quiver pocket and the rainfly. Buuuut its gonna suck waiting until April 20th now....

Latest posts