• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hanging my head in shame.

Yeah knowing actual distance can be tough to figure. I normally figure mine on what hole #1 on my home course is marked as and assume they are within 10' of the right number. I do the same with baseball fields but with those I'm about 95% sure they put up distance signs for looks lol.

If you can, find a pro, and play a round with them.. it might require you too lose some cash to them but the knowledge you will gain is great. I am sure after you play with them you will figure out its mostly putting that dominates the game, although getting off the box and setting yourself up is key.

When my friend and I play, I will out drive him on almost every hole. He is really good at his approach shots, and puts himself in position for par on most holes. In this case, the extra 50' that I get on my drive doesn't really matter unless the hole is around 300' to allow for an easy deuce for me.

I have found that if you can throw your drive down the fairway and you have very good approach shots, you will do much better than the guys that can reach back and bomb a long drive but can't do much else.

I think you can add 10' to your putting game quicker than adding 10' to your drives.

I've never really found flat open field D to have much practicality when you apply it to actually playing a course. If a would be 350' drive and a would be 275' drive strike a tree head on at 150', the result is the same.

What you should be doing in that open field is watching the trajectory and direction of your shots and adjusting your form to see whats nets yourself the best result. Take care of that and the D should fix itself.

Latest posts