• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hardest Course Ever

A difficult hike and a difficult disc golf course are not the same thing

I'm still working on growing my list, but playing Nockamixon this summer was the biggest challenge I've ever faced on the course. Every hole seemed relentless, and I was thrilled when I had a chance to putt for par.

Sounds like I really need to make an effort to get out to those WV courses in 2017 though. Been on the list a while now, just need to commit to a weekend and do it!

Of the courses I've played,
Snow Bowl in Flagstaff AZ is hardest to breath.(even harder than the Colorado courses I played)
Buffalo ridge is hardest on gear.
Poli Poli is the hardest to find and get to. (they sure want this to stay private)
Vision quest or Blue Ribbon Pines were the most challenging overall.

A difficult hike and a difficult disc golf course are not the same thing
If you're referencing Wilder, its a difficult hike because of elevation, density of low undergrowth, canopy and downed trees. These do affect the difficulty of the course.

On the other hand, sagebrush mandos and javelinas definitely don't count.

Birds has always intrigued me, I bet it's beautiful and brutal. I know that it is private, but it's strange that only 62 people have it marked as played. probably will not ever make it there but one can dream.

I wanted so much to play it, drove right by on the highway, called and was told it wasn't open that day. And it's too far off the beaten path to return to.

SSA came in around 72 for the 18 holes we played today at Lake Marshall.

I saw Trey post that the par is 70 and from your post par would come in somewhere around 1015 rated, Maple Hill territory. I can't wait to play it. Is the layout you played yesterday going to be the permanent layout for the course?

Courses in southern MO where they hold the Ozark Mountain Open by Gateway. Private land and the big course "Ozark Mountain" is a Par 72 I think and a legit one at that. The other two courses are no cake walk either.

Courses in southern MO where they hold the Ozark Mountain Open by Gateway. Private land and the big course "Ozark Mountain" is a Par 72 I think and a legit one at that. The other two courses are no cake walk either.

yeah, the big course was 72 last i was there, its no joke

I saw Trey post that the par is 70 and from your post par would come in somewhere around 1015 rated, Maple Hill territory. I can't wait to play it. Is the layout you played yesterday going to be the permanent layout for the course?

No- what we played yesterday was half of the eventual "Lions" course which will come in with SSA around 72 and half of the eventual "Lair" course which will be the easier course and come in somewhere in the mid 60's I'm guessing. The third eventual course "Lambs" will be an easy one for the beginners. I expect to be playing some sort of hybrid course down there for the remainder of 2017- there are various bits and pieces in 3 and 6 hole increments that can be played or left out to get to 18 holes out of the 27 in place.

I think yesterday's numbers were probably inflated a bit by the fact that everyone was basically seeing the wooded Lair holes for the first time as well as a new pin on Hole 10 that took it from one of the easier Par 3's there to one of the more difficult Par 4's.

Brown Deer Park in Milwaukee is absolutely the hardest course I've played. It's just plain brutal. A nice course however, but it will beat you down!!!

That's my favorite Milwaukee course, but nowhere near the hardest I've played. HBH - The Bear could be the most demoralizing course I've ever played, especially in the very wet and unable to be mowed condition it was in last spring.

Ozark has consistently had the highest per-hole SSA since it opened. This has not changed.

The only course that comes close is Winthrop Gold when certain scoring rules are in place.

Any other course is based on opinion. For my region, it's Iron Hill.

SSA came in around 72 for the 18 holes we played today at Lake Marshall.

Lake marshall (the laurels layout) is possibly the BEST course I've ever played. I can't wait to see the completed complex and play some big tourneys there. This place is technically challenging, beautiful, and most importantly fair. It seems "fair" and Biscoe go hand in hand.

I'd like to see what Harmony Bends in Columbia measures out to in the Gold layout. DGCR says SSA is 63 from the blue (which I think is too low, I think a 65 or so would be SSA) and the gold pins are in some very tricky and potentially punishing spots.

That's my favorite Milwaukee course, but nowhere near the hardest I've played. HBH - The Bear could be the most demoralizing course I've ever played, especially in the very wet and unable to be mowed condition it was in last spring.

Yup. Very much concur. Just a nonstop, relentless beatdown. It tries to be funny and give you a couple shorties in the middle, and then goes back to kicking your arse. 9 holes over 500' (8787 total), and deep trees on almost every side of every fairway. Oh, and elevation.

3bd1cade.jpg

Typical shot. Imagine a whole course of these. DGCR SSE of 70.3. Par 71.

Brown Deer, especially in the longs, is tough...the new water holes don't take away from that at all. But it's got nothing on many courses in WI, especially The Bear.

Last edited:
I think you mean Iron Hill territory, not Maple Hill which has an SSA of 60.

Latest posts