• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hartford Open

Shame he's gonna get the homer excuse for winning. Although it's probably Somewhat true. Except for the safari holes. I'd guess u can't prepare for that

Bobby C., while from CT is not really a "homer" (OK, more so than someone NOT from CT but he plays Wickham probably only a few times a year - spends most of his time at Cranbury). He's the type of player who can get REALLY hot and REALLY not (see Cedar Beach results from the previous weekend). I've played tournament rounds with him; focuses well, Buzzz's excellently, and CAN get stooopid hot putting...or not.

Karl

Bobby C (the "Cannon") deserved this win. He played lights out all 4 rounds. He had low score on each round (different layouts) on Saturday and then shot a 65 (all rounds were 22 holes) on the extra long "Burnside" layout, surpassed only by McBeth @ 64 and Will @63. Then on the 7-hole Safari layout, with a number of 1200' bomber holes (with lots of OB), he shot a 28 (to Paul's 27 and Will's 27) which included a couple of "safe" lay-ups as he was protecting a ~ 4 shot lead. Bobby had an awesome "par safe" on one of these holes that had gone into the woods on roller with as he threw out with a left-handed forehand roller (Bobby is right-handed) that rolled ~ 150' right to the pin.

Obviously there is some advantage to being familiar with a course. However, Wickham is not a typical New England course with a ton of wooded holes that greatly help knowledgeable, well-practised "locals". There are a ton of long, open (but sculpted around turns, up and down some impressive rolling hills) holes that clearly favor a world class "long arm". McBeth, Ulibari, Koling, Will and Cam were all able to practice the tournament layout for a few days so none were playing it blind. Bobby C plays Wick a couple of times a year but is no "local" and was actually receiving input on a couple of changes to the course (pin movements, new tees, etc) before round 1 that he was not familiar with.

FYI ... Bobby is naturally left-handed, but from playing baseball (where he bats left-handed), just developed the right-handed throw due to the similar body movement. Hence, those of us who know him well, knew that when he was stuck on the right hand side, the "secret weapon" was coming out. He's got a fantastic left handed scramble flick/roller.

Just to echo Karl and Kaboom, Bobby has been one of the best disc golfers in New England for MANY years, and has gone toe to toe with Brinster several times. To everyone out there, check out this video:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10201192065540352

Bobby is the first to tee off. A genuinely humble guy, and you had to be there to hear the "Bobby" roar when he laid in the last putt. One of the best things I've ever seen/heard on the course. A non-touring pro lays the beat down on the biggest guns in the game.

If I had a course in my back yard and beat either McBeth, Shusterick, or those other top pros it would be a complete miracle. Doesn't matter if it is your home course (which this isn't for Cowperthwait from what I understand), beating the best is always impressive.