• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

High Speed Understable Disc

Airfishey

Par Member
Recently, I've really started to like my Sidewinder, but I'm just not getting as much distance as I'd like. So I'm looking for a high speed (10 or 11), understable disc. Looks like a Monarch might be a canidate, but I'm looking for other suggestions. If you have any ideas, I'd be glad to hear them.

Recently, I've really started to like my Sidewinder, but I'm just not getting as much distance as I'd like. So I'm looking for a high speed (10 or 11), understable disc. Looks like a Monarch might be a canidate, but I'm looking for other suggestions. If you have any ideas, I'd be glad to hear them.

My RoadRunner goes very far.

A Beast or Roadrunner is your best bet. It doesn't always mean discs with a higher speed you will be able to throw farther.

speed != distance. Look at all the current and past world record holder disc and you will see slowish medium speed discs. High speed discs are designed for high speed arms. They are designed to do their 'flight pattern' at a certain miles per hour coming out of your hands. If you fail to get the disc up to this design speed then you will not see the 'flight pattern' that the disc says it will perform.

Lower speed discs are design to come out of your hands at a lower arm speed...and then perform their flight pattern...if you start flipping these over...you are pulling thru faster than the design specs of the disc...hence why we start hyzer flipping the discs...we point the disc closer and closer to a 90 degree angle with the ground..throw..and the disc will flip up flat and then fly its designed flight path.

So..don't think like every other disc golfer on the planet and think that the latest and greatest will fly farther...only to be disappointed when your new disc doesn't fly like it was advertised...however... high speed disc tend to 'hide' bad form...so a lot of new players will claim what I just said as BS.

Hyzer-flipping my monarch is my longest throw.

I'm about to go try my longest throws...just received my 150G R-Pro Bosses...in white, yellow, blue and red....see which colors cause the stability that I would prefer the most. My normal distance on flat ground with no wind is about 330-350 with a First Run Force...however...a few weeks ago I achieved my longest throw with a 20mph tailwind throwing slightly downhill...at ~500 feet a struck a large oak in the center of the fairway with an ESP Meteor. Yep...it's a midrange..but throwing down wind..the thing will float forever....you can call BS if you wish...I would...but you should have seen the surprised look on my face when it went that far...and yes..it was my 3rd or 4th throw from the tee as I was warming up for the round...and no...when I tried the same shot a few minutes later when it was tournament time...it didn't go that far...only about 300 feet.

Monarchs are great fast long distance drivers. They are pretty stable, so releasing them flat gives them long glide and only a slight turnover. I also just got new R-Pro Boss' and I love them. I got a 140, 150 and 161 gram and the 140 is too unstable, but the other ones are definitely unstable but I got used to them pretty quick. They need a hyzer release and will glide on a line drive longer than Destroyers or Champ Boss'. They are tricky to throw being so light but no wind or down wind they are awesome!

Monarchs are great fast long distance drivers. They are pretty stable, so releasing them flat gives them long glide and only a slight turnover.
?

Sidewinders have less turn and mine will become a roller if I don't give it at least a little hyzer.

not everyones arm is the same for sure...a sidewinder is nothing but a roller or anny disc for me..why do people throw in downhill on distance?...flat ground or it doesn't mean much..i can thor a putter 500' downhill, big deal..i suggest lighter weight plastic or move up the scale so to speak...try a starfire, beast, wraith...

How far are you throwing your Sidewinder?

He can get more distance with his surge/avenger. He's just looking for something to take a solid turn before fading while still getting good distance I believe.

I'm pretty sure his distance is around 325 when he gets the release right so it doesn't turn over too far...Correct me if I'm wrong though Mike. I'm just bored so I thought I would advance this along a bit without you.

Last edited:
Roadrunner will likely work for you -- those fly very predictably for a lot of folks, and should be longer than the sidewinder. Beast isn't a bad suggestion either. If you go with anything faster than that, get a light disc. A wraith is probably the fastest thing I would suggest anyone moving up to... until you have the armspeed for a wraith, you probably aren't ready for anything faster.

I just got a 168g Monarch i traded my e series voodoo for it i might have to much of an arm for it but tailwind + hyzer flip = long distance but it still cant beat my 2 year old beat to hell 175g beast i want to try an R-Pro Boss but funds are low since i leave for the Air Force at the end of this year.

Roadrunner will likely work for you -- those fly very predictably for a lot of folks, and should be longer than the sidewinder. Beast isn't a bad suggestion either. If you go with anything faster than that, get a light disc. A wraith is probably the fastest thing I would suggest anyone moving up to... until you have the armspeed for a wraith, you probably aren't ready for anything faster.

Yeah I'm thinking about getting a Roadrunner. As Jake (jdggna) previously said, I can get alot more distance with my Surge and Avenger, but I wanted to get another disc that isn't too hard to get a nice S-curve on it. I haven't quite been able to master getting an S-curve on my more overstable discs. But once I do, look out KC. (obviously sarcasm)

I throw RHFH, and I get some real nice S curves with my Banshees, TeeRexes, and I've finally started to figure out the Groove a little bit.
I used to love Discraft's Reaper...but somewhere along the way, we must have had a falling out because now I have 5 of them and none of them work for me...don't you hate it when you can never replace a lost disc???

I can throw a beat leopard as far as I can throw a sidewinder, roadrunner or monarch. I do have a dx 150 beast that I could out throw the leopard with, but it's gotten so beat it's all over the place. My dx eagle has now gotten to be a pretty decent understable disc. The champ panther works pretty good on those tight fairways. Been working with a dx wraith some, but only in field practice. I am still not getting it up to proper speed. But on those rare occasions I do....wow, it flies nice.

I throw RHFH, and I get some real nice S curves with my Banshees, TeeRexes, and I've finally started to figure out the Groove a little bit.
I used to love Discraft's Reaper...but somewhere along the way, we must have had a falling out because now I have 5 of them and none of them work for me...don't you hate it when you can never replace a lost disc???

I have a Banshee, and it is probably my favorite fairway driver. Never have used it to get distance though...