• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

High status/ Famous people on the course?

At a get together after a Phish concert i convinced Mike Gordon (Bass player) to try some putts on my friends practice basket. Does this count?

...So this brings up something I've thought about quite a bit in the year that I've been playing. I think there are a lot of DGers (DGCR members most likely being exceptions) who are for some reason self-conscious about playing. They don't go out and talk about it in the workplace or even with friends. I don't know if it is a by-product of perceived negative public views of the game and those who play it, a fear of being marginalized or stereotyped, but there is something there. I've been surprised by the number of people I know who have been playing for years who never mentioned it to me. And given the industry I work in, we attract those interested in things outside the mainstream which surprises me even more. Once they learned I had started to play, suddenly it becomes a regular subject of conversation, as though they had desperately been looking for someone who understood. I, on the contrary, can't shut up about it.

Curious about the thoughts of others...

Some people may be embarrassed to admit they play disc golf. It doesn't bother me to tell everyone, but one of my other obsessions is metal detecting, and everybody knows those guys are just plain weirdos.

I used to be very self conscious whole metal detecting, but now I just really don't care how it looks.

While I've seen threads about famous people playing disc golf, I've yet to see a thread about actually meeting them on the course. Has anyone ever met a famous person or a person of high status on the course?

I was playing a round last August when I saw two non locals on a course and showed them the course. They were really cool guys and about halfway through the round they told me they were country singer Billy Curringtons stage crew. They said he throws with them occasionally and ended up offering me tickets for showing them around.

I know people are all "roadies...ugh..." but I am a "roadie" and I play all the time when at home and on free days on the road. I am a Monitor Engineer meaning I mix what the artists hear on stage. I've toured with Devo, Beck, Snoop Dogg, the Wailers and Lee "Scratch" Perry, Blondie, and Merle Haggard (to name a few). I'm not famous but a lot of my friends are and there are a few of them that play. Now, time for you guys to rip me apart...;)

I know people are all "roadies...ugh..." but I am a "roadie" and I play all the time when at home and on free days on the road. I am a Monitor Engineer meaning I mix what the artists hear on stage. I've toured with Devo, Beck, Snoop Dogg, the Wailers and Lee "Scratch" Perry, Blondie, and Merle Haggard (to name a few). I'm not famous but a lot of my friends are and there are a few of them that play. Now, time for you guys to rip me apart...;)
Actually a big fan of Matt Mahaffey/sELF and a home studio guy... we should play sometime and shoot the sonic ****!

While playing a course in MA last year, a buddy of mine ran into Teddi Bruschi. I don't think he was playing though, was just visiting the park.

It's the same park where Leo DiCapprio filmed scenes for Shutter Island. Rumor has it that his stunt devil was seen playing a few holes.

You need to give me a shout if Scratch comes anywhere near the Midwest. He's not going to be around much longer and he's tough to see; as he doesn't do a lot of shows.

While playing a course in MA last year, a buddy of mine ran into Teddi Bruschi. I don't think he was playing though, was just visiting the park.

It's the same park where Leo DiCapprio filmed scenes for Shutter Island. Rumor has it that his stunt devil was seen playing a few holes.
I don't think Tedy Bruschi plays; he doesn't need any more strokes... :p

OK, I admit that was bad... :\

My stunt double is terrible at DG.

Actually a big fan of Matt Mahaffey/sELF and a home studio guy... we should play sometime and shoot the sonic ****!

I am always down for making new friends, playin rounds, talking sonic shop. Maybe if the weather doesn't sh*t on Austin all week, we could shoot for Thursday!

the gentlemen

I came up on a group of guys out at my local course (Richmond Hill). I was throwing by myself so I asked if I could join them. They laughed & said do so at your own risk. "We arent that good!"
One or two of the guys could throw pretty decently. The rest were hackers but it was still a fun time! At the end of the round one of the guys says "Hey, we are in this band "The Gentlemen" & here is one of our CD's."
thegentlemen_zps2f7a8e7b.jpg

I didnt put too much faith in the music after seeing them throw but was I wrong! It turned out to be some of the best music I had heard in a long time! Very creative & unique sound!
I'd love to go to a live show & I tried to find out more information on the band but I was unsuccessful. :|

singer/songwriter/musician, Zach Deputy and a couple of his roadies were playing at Barnett Park last year while he was in town for a show and I was playing solo and caught up to them. They let me play through and I kinda did one of those, "hey, you're Zach Deputy right!?.. cool! nice to meet you! thanks for letting me play through, enjoy your round and good luck with your show tonight!". He's a super nice dude and supports DG big time. Zach Deputy Disc Jams @ Suwannee Music Park is coming up in March and I hope to be there.

Other than that, I've met a few top pro disc golfers here and there. Ken Climo tagged along with our MA1 card for about 6 or 7 holes last November at the Coachman Classic Am weekend, mainly because one of his local poker buddies was on my card. I led the teepad the entire time he was with us and sunk a few long birdie putts outside the circle which was a great confidence boost for me that day. Definitely didn't want to play like a scrub while the Champ was hanging out with us! lol I think a couple of the other guys let it get in their heads.. maybe they were nervous playing in his presence or something... but the champ is actually a fairly laid back nice guy IMHO.

Latest posts