• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Highbridge Hills - Wisconsin

So let me get this straight. Johnny has a website called Highbridge Hills Sports Complex telling you to play his course at Lake Superior View Golf Course. The course is 40 mins from (the real) Highbridge Hills Disc Golf Megaplex, but his 'office' is run out of the Honka house.

Does anyone know who has the rights to the name Highbridge Hills? He's staking claim to the whole property with his pos honka house, which is what comes up on Google, and trying to divert people to a course he scraped together in Washburn. It's sad really, but confusing for people unfamiliar with this drama.

https://www.highbridgehillssports.com said:
We now host disc golf in Washburn Wisconsin, which is a central location offering convenient driving distances to all the wonderful natural areas and lodging/camping in the Lake Superior/Apostle Islands/Chequamegon Bay area.
Lol. In what bizzaro world is Washburn a central location to anything?

Looks like DGCR still has the courses linked to John's website, anyone know how to go about correcting that?
Is there a new website outside of mountain man's facebook page for the course?

DO NOT start writing bad reviews for Lake Superior View Golf Course in Washburn (where DG course JJ setup), do not hurt their business.. they are probably honest hard working people and dont know exactly what they got themselves into with JJ putting a disc golf course on their property. I know for a fact others have contacted them and explained their experience with JJ already so its totally on them if things don't go well there, they have been warned already.

what an embarrassment for disc golf to the state of Wisconsin, sad to say i live in this state. Glad im moving soon.

Among other things....some people might actually want to play that course, particularly if they're in the area. Some might end up happy that there's a course there.

Keep the reviews honest. Think of the readers, not JJ. Maybe include a note that this is not the famed Highbridge Hills, but leave it at that.

what an embarrassment for disc golf to the state of Wisconsin, sad to say i live in this state. Glad im moving soon.

LoL. Using the upper northwoods of WI as a representation of the state JUSSSSTTTTT a bit of a stretch.

Northwoods is cray, yo. Nothing like the rest of the state.

LoL. Using the upper northwoods of WI as a representation of the state JUSSSSTTTTT a bit of a stretch.

Northwoods is cray, yo. Nothing like the rest of the state.

You're right, there is some amazing disc golf in Wisconsin that is run well and respectable but no one focuses on the good things. Everyone pays attention drama it seems like :doh: We should be promoting the good and burying the bad.

Perceptions of those outside who frequent the forums and see the Wisconsin thread drama may not know how good things really are here.

Couple weeks ago i took a week long vacation to southern Missouri and played some disc golf down there (AMAZING down there by the way, well maintained and very professional, good facilities and pro shops, most the players had carts and it felt like golf course quality), we ran into a group of 4 other traveling disc golfers from Arkansas and the perception of Wisconsin disc golf to them was drama, drunk people, and a perception that we don't have our acts together, 2 of them had been to Wisconsin and they actually laughed, were not impressed at all with the disc golf they played there.

Just think if some of the highest rated collection of disc golf courses in your state was the equivalent of junk yards (HBH) and swamps (RR)? (< I just made probably 100 enemies there) :\ I can tell you from first hand experience just about everything is better in every way at the many courses I have seen in my traveling and then to add this drama on top of it?

Good news is the potential is there, once people start seeing results (which i know we will with MM in charge) things will turn around and perceptions can change in time. :thmbup:

You're right, there is some amazing disc golf in Wisconsin that is run well and respectable but no one focuses on the good things. Everyone pays attention drama it seems like :doh: We should be promoting the good and burying the bad.

Perceptions of those outside who frequent the forums and see the Wisconsin thread drama may not know how good things really are here.

Couple weeks ago i took a week long vacation to southern Missouri and played some disc golf down there (AMAZING down there by the way, well maintained and very professional, good facilities and pro shops, most the players had carts and it felt like golf course quality), we ran into a group of 4 other traveling disc golfers from Arkansas and the perception of Wisconsin disc golf to them was drama, drunk people, and a perception that we don't have our acts together, 2 of them had been to Wisconsin and they actually laughed, were not impressed at all with the disc golf they played there.

Just think if some of the highest rated collection of disc golf courses in your state was the equivalent of junk yards (HBH) and swamps (RR)? (< I just made probably 100 enemies there) :\ I can tell you from first hand experience just about everything is better in every way at the many courses I have seen in my traveling and then to add this drama on top of it?

Good news is the potential is there, once people start seeing results (which i know we will with MM in charge) things will turn around and perceptions can change in time. :thmbup:

While I agree on the premise of social media carrying too much weight in today's society, I think you are overgeneralizing....by a lot.

I think that disc golfers that even know DGCR exists, is tiny. I think most of those few that do, can evaluate the HBH thread for what it is.

I think a bigger problem than the HBH thread, is people who think the interwebz is a real representation of life.

My goodness, that's a lot of hyperbole. I've traveled around a decent portion of the country (and some of Canada), and there's not a lot of places that measure up to WI frolf.

You kind of just sound ridiculous.

JJ is operating his illegitimate Highbridge Hills course with misappropriated baskets at Lake Superior View Golf Course in Washburn. I just visited their FB page and let them know why I will never play there. Perhaps everyone should do the same. Don't be mean, just explain why you think they should reconsider their deal with a known criminal con artist. Explain how the consequences and repercussions of a barrage of bad reviews can have a devastating effect on a popular golf course.
The elderly couple (73 and 78) who own the course and do all the work themselves, work 12-14 hr days and only get a break when it rains are being conned by John and Abby. I have warned them about these two weasels and apparently so have Roger and Ann. They have a breakable contract with John until Oct 15, but Abby slithered her way into a job at LSVGC and is manipulating the owners from the inside on Johns' behalf. The ball is on the owners tee now, they have the facts and it's their decision to make but a law suit to retrieve those baskets is probably inevitable.

The elderly couple (73 and 78) who own the course and do all the work themselves, work 12-14 hr days and only get a break when it rains are being conned by John and Abby. I have warned them about these two weasels and apparently so have Roger and Ann. They have a breakable contract with John until Oct 15, but Abby slithered her way into a job at LSVGC and is manipulating the owners from the inside on Johns' behalf. The ball is on the owners tee now, they have the facts and it's their decision to make but a law suit to retrieve those baskets is probably inevitable.

It seems like a busy JJ 40 miles away is a lot better alternative than an on-site JJ with idle time. Seems like 18 old baskets is a small price to pay to keep him occupied elsewhere.

My goodness, that's a lot of hyperbole. I've traveled around a decent portion of the country (and some of Canada), and there's not a lot of places that measure up to WI frolf.

You kind of just sound ridiculous.

You don't have to agree with me, i dont push group think, no hyperbole intended. :eek:

Everyone has a different idea of what a course should "measure up" to.

Dude, he talked to like 4 people.

That's like, Science.

Just like my own opinion, these are all opinions of other people:

https://www.discgolfscene.com/courses/USA/top-rated (the only one listed is Rolling Ridge)
https://udisc.com/blog/post/top-10-disc-golf-cities-usa-7 (wheres WI?)
https://udisc.com/blog/post/top-disc-golf-cities-usa-top-10-recap-11-50-revealed (two low ranking cities in the top 50?!)
https://udisc.com/blog/post/top-10-disc-golf-cities-usa-so-far (??)
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/topcourses/topcourses_2017.php (RR, and HH)

Not many places measure up to WI disc golf huh?

If this sounds ridiculous then maybe I've begun to make my case for Wisconsin disc golf

Wow . . . I didnt think it was possible for the story to get worse. I guess with someone working inside the golf course there is potential for that to happen but if john just said I have these baskets, I want to put disc golf on your property, in exchange for X Y or Z then its a done business deal. I suppose if there was a way to "Hide" rounds played then it might be a con.

I wish them luck and hope at the very least the business agreement works for the golf course owners. I don't care what happens with JJ and Abby Im just glad MM has taken over on the hill. I cant wait to come play in August in the tourney but I want to come up to play a tourney of my own if there are any dates available otherwise to plan it out for next year.

You might consider me biased based on the fact that I live here. But I mostly formulated my opinions when I lived on the other side of the river, in a place where I was born and raised to despise cheeseheads. And an opinion that was formed after having played 48 states, including a majority of the top 100 rated courses, and well over 1000 courses total. The opinion to which I refer is that Wisconsin is at the top of my list when it comes to the number of quality courses.

Highbridge has a significant impact on this opinion, say what you will about the place/management and just look at it. So many Amazing courses, nearly each course on its own could make its way into my top 10. The fact that all of them remained remotely playable over the years is quite significant. Bear - Gold - Granite - Blueberry all phenomenal.

Now, that's not the only one. Let us now look at Mont du Lac - Holy Bleep! This place is serious. Three incredible courses, camping, cabins, bar, Bryan has got something going. Rollin Ridge, I've watched that place come a long way since the beginning, 3 baskets, 3 tees, clubhouse, bar, camping, ongoing improvements and maintenance, wow. Justin Trails, amazing. Standing Rocks, Tower Ridge, Zobel, Sandy Point, Axldog, Tjader's, Vet Hills, Wilderness, Pathway of the Gods ;)... and on and on

I've been a lot of places, and there's not much that compares as a whole state. NC might have an argument...

You might consider me biased based on the fact that I live here. But I mostly formulated my opinions when I lived on the other side of the river, in a place where I was born and raised to despise cheeseheads. And an opinion that was formed after having played 48 states, including a majority of the top 100 rated courses, and well over 1000 courses total. The opinion to which I refer is that Wisconsin is at the top of my list when it comes to the number of quality courses.

Highbridge has a significant impact on this opinion, say what you will about the place/management and just look at it. So many Amazing courses, nearly each course on its own could make its way into my top 10. The fact that all of them remained remotely playable over the years is quite significant. Bear - Gold - Granite - Blueberry all phenomenal.

Now, that's not the only one. Let us now look at Mont du Lac - Holy Bleep! This place is serious. Three incredible courses, camping, cabins, bar, Bryan has got something going. Rollin Ridge, I've watched that place come a long way since the beginning, 3 baskets, 3 tees, clubhouse, bar, camping, ongoing improvements and maintenance, wow. Justin Trails, amazing. Standing Rocks, Tower Ridge, Zobel, Sandy Point, Axldog, Tjader's, Vet Hills, Wilderness, Pathway of the Gods ;)... and on and on

I've been a lot of places, and there's not much that compares as a whole state. NC might have an argument...

^^All of this; and another over 900 courses played in 43/44 states, guy here; and yes, Wisco golf as a whole; is as strong as anywhere.

(Lot's of courses; in many states; "under water" this year.)

Speaking from a total picture, well rounded, quality property, updated modern championship level design, amenities as well as clean and family friendly experience, etc..etc.. i would rate WI EASILY near the bottom currently.

Especially considering many of the best courses at HH aren't entirely playable anymore and need to be redesigned to avoid private property issues. so if we cut those out of the picture and then you have to drive to RR (apparently the best single course WI has to offer) to get your feet soaked.. however, if you can look past all of that and then drive to wilderness and actually play some great disc golf then i could see how you would believe that.

have you traveled to all these destinations in the last 3 years or is this from 20+ years history that you guys are touting? in the past 3 years i have been to courses (some of which didn't even exist till 1-2 years ago) in minnesota, colorado, missouri, kentucky, and Iowa that are rating way higher than anything that has been put up in wisconsin in the past 5 years! (the exception being wilderness and i have not played whitecap yet)

Does wisconsin even have a National Tour stop, or even a DGPT stop? where are all the top pros touring in WI at all of our amazing selection of courses? not that that matters, but surprising if we are really the gold standard here.

anyways it doesn't really matter, this is all just opinions anyways.. maybe i need to try the cheese curds you guys are eating :D

Latest posts