• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

how do you react when people throw in on you?

medicinalfunk

* Ace Member *
everyone's local courses are plugged up with new players with more beer than discs throwing all over the place. it's bound to happen eventually and to some of us, happens almost every round. sometimes it's harmless, a bunch of high schoolers forehanding shots 100 feet off the fairway while you are about to putt. not really a big deal

but what about when someone launches a drive that flies/skips past you or even hits you? how do you react?

i've been thrown in on when i was having a bad day as i was lining up my putt. i was about to release the disc and a yellow blur zipped by my leg. i threw the disc back down the fairway over the guy's head 100 feet behind him. it was probably my best throw all day. i've been with people that have picked up people's discs and put it in their bag or picked it up and threw it into the rough or down a ravine of trees.

I usually try to talk to them, nicely first. If they throw on me again all bets are off. The disc is mine if I dont decide to try and have them arrested or deal with it personally. Not big on the physical side of it, but if my kids are on the course with me I grow from the little 5'6" 125lb guy to a 6'11" 275lb roughneck with an attitude if thrown on. Still nice at first but dont test me twice...

The first time it happens, they get a shout that the hole isn't clear. If it happens again, I'll walk back up the hole and have a polite conversation about the etiquette of the sport, and let them know they can play through if they wait patiently. I've never had it go beyond this. Honestly, I rarely get thrown on. I play fast to begin with, and I'm always watching behind me so I'm quick to let faster groups through.

I usually try to talk to them, nicely first. If they throw on me again all bets are off. The disc is mine if I dont decide to try and have them arrested or deal with it personally. Not big on the physical side of it, but if my kids are on the course with me I grow from the little 5'6" 125lb guy to a 6'11" 275lb roughneck with an attitude if thrown on. Still nice at first but dont test me twice...

how could you have them arrested?

I wouldn't do anything, in my area, the people who throw far know better. Let them forehand their champion apes 100ft into the shule while I am holing out.

I usually start with the sideward evil glare. From there I slow my game to make it look like I am a professional player that needs his time to concentrate and that they have just pissed off a pro. Then missing the shot because of my normal skill actually appears that their intrusion is what caused me to miss it. A nice digusted shake of a lowered head usually seals the deal. Most of the time this awards me a "sorry dude." Not a big fan of the dude part but the fact that a confrontation was avoided on both our ends is usually a good enough heads up for that group to slow down themselves and be more considerate.

By nature I do not like confrontation because it really is not worth my time. Most of the time I am a very fast player so usually the situation is reversed. I am the one catching up to these groups, not vice versa.

Had a couple of 2 disc'n frats in hot pink Wayfarers and popped collars (you know the type) throwing on me and my homey yesterday. After a few glares they got the idea and skipped to the next hole.

sometimes it's harmless, a bunch of high schoolers forehanding shots 100 feet off the fairway while you are about to putt.

Hey hey hey, i'm a high schooler, and i have much better etiquette than most people on the course any given day. And sometimes I go out on the course with just two discs, does this make me a douche?

But, at my local course, everyones a tool. If it hits close to me, I make my anger visible. One time I was trying to get a disc out of a tree by shaking it when someone rockets a roc from 250' in the 6" gap between my hands in front of my face. So I put my bag on top of his disc and let him look for a while :p

I look back yell....and I mean YELL!!!

"NOT CLEAR!!!" -- usually

Last time though....

DX viper tossed from a group of about 10 -- teenagers, one disc a piece, beer, being extremely loud and that had jumped to hole 15 and started following us (in order to know the course I presume) -- disc lands about 10 ft. behind me and a bud. I pick it up, raise it in the air and start walking toward them....

"WHO THREW THE VIPER???? .... WHO THREW THE VIPER???"

Throw the disc back their direction into the dirt and yelled "that was too close motherf*#$^#r!!!"

They parked their group in silence on that hole as they let us get about 3 holes ahead of them.

That was the end of that.

the end

yeah, yelling back at them is probably one of the more sane options. i wouldn't take time out of my day to go back and have a polite conversation with the people that threw in because they probably don't care to begin with. sometimes i see throwing in while i'm putting as a sign of someone in a hurry trying to squeeze in a round. when this happens i always let them play through on the next hole

these sort of things only happen when i'm with groups. i have yet to be thrown in on playing solo on a hole that wasn't 500+ feet

it happens to us quite a bit. our home course is riddled with blind holes. i've yet to be hit, but thrown on quite a bit. they usually see us after they throw and give the general "sorry dudes, couldn't see you" speech. but when they CAN see us we usually yell "not clear" or "hold on". try to be somewhat nice about it and keep the douche baggery to a minimum. i have yet to find a group that will continually throw on us. we usually yell "clear" after the hole to let them know. most the people in my area have at least SOME etiquette

14079_sweetchinmusic.jpg

I look back yell....and I mean YELL!!!

"NOT CLEAR!!!" -- usually

Last time though....

DX viper tossed from a group of about 10 -- teenagers, one disc a piece, beer, being extremely loud and that had jumped to hole 15 and started following us (in order to know the course I presume) -- disc lands about 10 ft. behind me and a bud. I pick it up, raise it in the air and start walking toward them....

"WHO THREW THE VIPER???? .... WHO THREW THE VIPER???"

Throw the disc back their direction into the dirt and yelled "that was too close motherf*#$^#r!!!"

They parked their group in silence on that hole as they let us get about 3 holes ahead of them.

That was the end of that.

the end

The best way to handle most situations is just to spaz the **** out incoherently. That way its safe to assume that not only do they not respect you, but ussually think your a douche.

i just let them know how bad they coudl really hurt someone with a fast disc like that

This is now an everyday occurence here. I was running through my putt routine just the other day and got nailed in the foot. I bagged the disc, nailed my putt, and walked to the next tee. I stood on the tee and watched the guy who hit me look for his disc for about 5 minutes then let him know I had it. After I told him to wait until holes are clear and yell 'Fore' if it's close to someone, I gave his disc back. His group then left a 3 hole buffer between our groups for the remainder of the round.
I now bag every disc I'm hit or thrown on with and let them come to me to receive their lecture before giving the disc back. It's a bit mean, but it's working.

I just go to their disc and pinch a load on it. Some might think this is extreme but it really would make them think twice. Nobody has actually done this to me in my 8 years of playing but at least I have a policy.

Latest posts