• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How far do you throw?

How far do you throw?

• Total voters
Until going crazy watching vids and working on form, I was maxing at 375' and averaging around 340' on holes that could yield it. I've always felt there was more that could be done and finally had a few aha moments this season. This year, from an elevated tee with a tailwind I broke 500' (505'). Even though the situation was in my favor, it still felt great walking up to it, I knew as it went it was the longest thing I'd ever thrown. I voted 350-375', but I can now hit 400' flat using a Lace with a growing measure of control and consistency and feel there is more yet that can be done. Reaching back, pulling through on a line (don't go around your body) and accelerating into the hit --- it really works.

I've found big distance throwing to be a regional thing. Most of the areas that have short technical courses don't have many people that throw very far. Here in Phoenix a 400' drive is nothing special, as our courses are pretty wide open and fairly long. I would say to compete as a pro or advanced level player you would need at least a 400' drive to even be competitive.

That's a really good point. Here in West Virginia we have mostly hilly wooded courses with not alot of big open holes. And if my 300' of power is enough to win a tournament, I'm pretty happy with that. Of course, I'm going to continue to work towards 350' and maybe eventually 400'. Maybe.

Flattened chi-square distribution. I guess not very surprising.

The regional thing is interesting too...I RARELY (as in maybe a few times in 3 years) see people break 400' here in SW michigan. Even throwing beyond 300' is seen as something mildly spectacular to the more casual disc golfers in the area.

as a slight thread drift, average driving distance doesn't really concern me that much, but average putting distance does. what is your average "comfortable" putting distance? at what distance does it feel like you are straining to make a putt? is there already a couple dozen threads about that?

as a slight thread drift, average driving distance doesn't really concern me that much, but average putting distance does. what is your average "comfortable" putting distance? at what distance does it feel like you are straining to make a putt? is there already a couple dozen threads about that?

I can only pitch putt from about 35' in calm conditions. Outside of that I am having to spin putt up to about 60'. I really only expect to make the ones inside the circle, so my comfortable putting distance is only about 33'.

I can comfortably throw right around 425', with longer drives on really good days.

Like Hammer said, driving distance varies by region, and I think the importance of it varies by region too. Out west you have to throw longer to compete, in the midwest and southeast you need technical skills more than length.

I can comfortably throw right around 425', with longer drives on really good days.

Like Hammer said, driving distance varies by region, and I think the importance of it varies by region too. Out west you have to throw longer to compete, in the midwest and southeast you need technical skills more than length.

Elevation also plays a distance in throw distance. When I was in the black hills of South Dakota, I was throwing between 430-460' and maxing out between 475'-500'. Since I came to Cincinnati and am about 3000' lower, my average went up to about 450-475' and my max up to about 530' or so.

Flattened chi-square distribution. I guess not very surprising.

The regional thing is interesting too...I RARELY (as in maybe a few times in 3 years) see people break 400' here in SW michigan. Even throwing beyond 300' is seen as something mildly spectacular to the more casual disc golfers in the area.

I parked one on hole 1 at knollwood the other day. Not a very far, or difficult hole. A couple of guys were watching and seemed overly impressed. I'm disappointed if I'm not birdying every hole at knollwood.

BH i can consistently get them out 450+ and for longer holes i can throw to 500 when needed, ive birdied a good amount of 450ft+ par 3s and with SA i usually adverage 320+ no where above 350ft

I can throw Destroyers out 400 on a controlled line, and 450 for max distance. Unless it's a pretty open shot though, I'll still throw teebirds though since I can be even more accurate and still get them out to 350-375.

Having to switch back to throwing off-hand has dramatically lowered my distances, at least today it did. If I were told that I broke 300' today I'd be surprised. Rough.

I voted before reading. I can consistently drive around 325-350 but I maxed out at 380 the other day. I was using that 360 degree driving technique for the first time and after about 6 throws, I tore a pec muscle. lol I feel so confident that I'm going to hit 400ft tomorrow. I hope 2 days is enough healing time. =/

Latest posts