• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

how far would you go to get your disc back??

^^^That is a hard one to beat guys....GLONG...I think in America you have it won but when you start bringing poisonous snakes into the mix when trying to get a disc back I think raises the bar just a tad bit...plus there are so many different species of snakes that can kill you....damn dude..good luck finding your discs and brings lots of anti-venom

i shanked 2 different disc in a man-made pond from 2 different hole. both disc land about 2 or 3 feet from the edge. i left them there until i finished my round. i got the first one out no problem. while i was looking for the 2nd one my face was maybe 2' from the water and a snake pops his head out of the water and scared the crap outta me. needless to say, i didn't get the 2nd one back. no disc is worth getting snake bit!!!:eek:

Unfortunately, anti-venin is quite possibly one of the most exspensive liquids known to man. Also, it is not commonly available for ALL varieties of snakes. I had a buddy get bit by a small copperhead a couple of years back, and his bill was more than $100,000 for the anti-venin treatment (2 vials). I'm sure his insurance carrier loved him! And that was for a fairly common and only slightly deadly variety of snake. Dang, Australia, you certainly have something to think about every time you do ANYTHING outdoors!

thanks for the props, guys, but my story is a bit different in the sense that i didn't intend to go through such hell to get the disc back. most of the area near the shoreline at schumaker is actually very tame. in some places you can walk 60-70' out and not sink deeper than mid-calf. the area that i got stuck in is relatively small...it collects runoff from a hill where the long basket for #4 sits, the sediment is funneled down and collects in an area that is no larger than 30'x50'.

i had been told to stay away from there, and intended to. but as i said, one bad step led to another and then i slowly started getting stuck. i was stupid enough to go out there by myself, and even left my phone on the shore so that it wouldn't accidentally get wet. i was fortunate that the weather was nice that day, so i knew someone would be out there and see me within 30 minutes or so. i was only stuck by myself for about 10-15 minutes so i never really had time to get scared about the situation. plus it took me a long time to get as badly stuck as i did. if i had stayed in one place i could have been pulled out much easier. but trying to move around and get my legs free only made the situation worse. and WOW were my legs dead tired for about two days. quicksand is no joke. if you get stuck in it, the best move to make is no move. you will only get stuck to a greater degree and exhaust yourself.

there was a pic on the course bulletin board for a long time with something like 'this is what happens when you go in the pond near the basket on hole 4' - i achieved a minor celebrity status for this exploit :p

See it? Get it!

If I can see the disc in the water, I'll try to get it back (long sticks, golden retriever, wade in, etc). If I know where it went in but I can't actually see it, forget about it. It's gone!

I've been deep in briars (out of bounds) twice at Brevard College at hole #9 and have fished out my discs from the creek on the 9th hole as well at Western (Catamount Links) just last week.

I have dove a pond to find a disc and walked away from numerous others, it all depends on the disc and the spot. The disc I did swim after I never found either.

I did drive 200 miles to get a champ groove back, no snakes and it was realy nice out. Just doesnt compete with the other posts here.. oh wait.....nope got nothing.

I am glad there is no water where I play otherwise im sure I would be fishing my discs out, but other than that its just trees really, i've got some stuck in a few tricky places that I spent over an hour trying to get down but that's about it... I always leave a tent pole and baseball in my truck....one of those usually does the trick

i got stuck in the muck at schumaker pond a few years ago when the pond was drained. i went looking for the disc in an area that i was told to stay away from because the bottom is like quick sand. i did my best to stay away, but took one bad step and then another and was stuck. ended up sinking up to about my belly button in some nasty, nasty quicksand/mud. i was in there for over an hour and ended up getting dragged out by 4 dudes with a tow rope just as the fire dept/rescue squad pulled up. it was in january but the air temp wasn't bad that day. i didn't get really cold until my arms/chest got wet when someone suggested i try to unlace my shoes and try to break the suction on my feet. i got mild hypothermia but was fine after a few hours. i've attached a crappy cell phone pic for your lulz.

Too bad the Bear dog wasn't around to rescue you. :D

Before I had alot of discs I once climbed a pine tree over 50 feet for a disc. that was crazy and yes I have been in water numerous times, but now adays I just dont go after them if there not visible and i make sure to have 2 backups of every disc so I can re think some recovery options.

About 15-20 years ago I climbed the tall pine that you have to annie around on Delaveaga #15. I don't remember how high it was but it but it had to be at least 40'. It took a week to wash all of the sap from the pine off. :doh: