• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How long can you stomache going solo?

About 2/3 of my rounds are solo. I like playing with my son or friends, but I also enjoy the peace and solace of playing by myself. I find I can usually focus on my game better playing solo.

The only drawback for me is I get used to playing at that pace.

I first met you IRL at... Trinity I think it was... I was in a group and you were solo with that sweatshirt of yours with the no bullspit patch...

heh... I just remembered that.

One of the best parts of playing alone is the high probability of making new friends when you encounter another group and they ask if you would like to join up rather than play through. I have many good friends who I met under those exact circumstances.

I end up playing a lot of solo rounds. The people I played with in the past have moved away, work opposite shifts of me, or health keeps them from playing.

So when I can play with others I do try to win, but solo is great for trying different shots and not slowing the game up. A hole you normally toss a safe up the gut shot? Well, toss that shot, but try thay big hyzer over the top. Don't feel comfortable going for that 60 foot putt? Try that putt three times.

My suggestion on solo rounds are:

bring 3 putters. Throw them at every hole. Too many people try to get better by driving farther. The people that are the best are the ones that are automatic in the circle.

Get some behind the neck headphones. I've never had an issue with mine catching or incumbering my shots ever. And your music choices won't bother other players.

Try new shots. The only way to get better is to expand your repitoire.

Most important, and the one I have the biggest problem with, slow down. When you play with others you never drive, walk straight to your shot, throw an upshot, walk straight to it, putt, step over to the next tee, and repeat. Take a second in between shots and gather yourself.

So it is unseasonably warm here and going to be tomorrow but the fiance works and my regular disc golfing buddies are busy, but I plan on getting to the course at 8 am, playing until around 11, meet my fiance for lunch then back to the course 12-4 to try to get my fill in; even more than my fill if possible to brace for the comming winter.

I was wondering, how long have you played solo before? Im thinking I will want my headphones.

I do have a buddy that has a new girlfriend and I just showed him disc golf at the beginning of the summer and now he just texted and it sounds like he is going to bring her out for part of my afternoon session. Never met her before and I will be going on 5 hours of playing when I do. :gross: lol

There's no end to.how long incan play solo

Five years, nine months, fourteen days, seventeen hours and 33 minutes without a post and suddenly its alive again. I guess some threads are worth bumping.
:eek:

But back on topic, I've done over 200 holes in day solo on a few occasions. Doing a feat like that with others on board is a bit difficult.

I play solo every morning. I'm retired and there's usually no one else around to play with, but I hate people so it works for me. Plus I can crank the tunes up full volume and I don't have to listen to motormouths. Most of the golfers in my area are 30-40 years younger than me anyway, and have nothing to say that I want to hear.

I enjoy playing with my buddies but my "home" course, Cedar Hills Rotary Park, is one we have all played at least 500 times so they don't really play there anymore. I only play there during the week because it is halfway between the office and home. The courses the boys play during the week are 30 minutes from my work and almost an hour from home. So I usually play solo on weeknights and with buddies on the weekend.

Imo, solo rounds are the rounds where you actually get to practice. You can take time to think about each shot, throw extras, etc. Playing in a group there is too much talking and socializing to actually practice. I try to find a good balance between solo/group rounds.

I play 1-3 solo rounds a week. I work 3 miles from Schenley Park DGC, and am done with work @ 3:00/3:30 every day. So most people can't meet me that early. My solo rounds usually take 45-60 mins., so if I can get there early enough I can get 18 in and be home before rush hour. :thmbup:

Five years, nine months, fourteen days, seventeen hours and 33 minutes

I thought that was just a really specific answer to the thread title.

I play solo a lot but almost everyone I know and now play with it is because we bumped into each other while one of us was playing solo and ended up finishing the round together.

I normally throw multiple drives, usually because I shank one or two, or I want to try a different disc or line on a hole. Then I always try and score the first drive and may or may not play out the others. I always play both my putters, and usually just mentally tally the first putt, some rounds I'm hard on myself and I have to make both putts to count it. When i'm in that mood throwing so many discs on each hole sometimes I want to keep playing that way and don't want to interfere with another's round.

I play solo most rounds since my kids were born. I used to play with my wife a lot, but now she only plays once a month, if that. I still play with a couple friends once a week, but our schedules don't always work out. In the winter I play even more solo rounds because I can go to a course near my work and play a round without getting sweaty. I use those rounds for practice mostly, but every once in awhile I will slow down and try to take a solo round seriously to try to beat my course records.

I would think I would end up playing a lot less solo than with people, mainly because if I'm solo and the course isn't backup, I'm more likely to throw 2+ discs on almost every shot.

Grip lock a drive into a tree, lets try that again so we feel what a good shot is on that tee pad.

New discs, throw a few different ones, see how they react.

I look at it as practice, try different things, maybe you were torn between a couple of discs, threw one, not so hot, ok, see how the other reacts.

So, playing solo, finishing a round is probably closer to playing 2.

I think it is important to balance that against playing with someone and just playing straight up.

For serious work, solo all day. I don't mind a fun casual round with friends once in awhile, but prefer competitive play whenever possible.

Rarely play solo. I just don't seem to have as much fun without having a few of my good DG buddies on the course with me. Especially my local courses.

Sort of a "If I have a great shot/round/ace and nobody sees it.... did it really happen/matter?" syndrome.

With that being said... when I travel for work I always try to squeeze in rounds and I often find myself playing surprisingly well when I'm playing a course blind and I have a 'don't care' attitude that comes from playing solo. So I'm much more apt to hit the course solo when Its not my same local track.

I find playing solo great practice, so I will go out of my way to get in solo rounds periodically. I like being able to stop myself in the middle of a round while I'm playing, if I recognize a part of my game that's just not working, and throw a whole bunch of different shots until I am able to rectify a problem. It's not just one thing I could practice later... try once in a while doing a whole round where every time you make a mistake, you stop and throw it again until you're getting it right and feeling confident. This is where I've really moved forward on the weaker parts of my game this year, like forehands and overhands and so on.

Also it's therapeutic. I put my cell phone on airplane mode and just daydream and think. Playing with others is fun, playing by myself is the most truly relaxing form of the game.

I tend to throw alone more than with people, it's usually just how things end up happening. I'm not strongly opposed to either. There's a good deal a person can learn from throwing with better players. It helps me gauge what I'm good at and what I still need to work on.

Lots of solo rounds, but rarely more than a couple of hours at a time (which is what the O.P. was asking). Though back when I was traveling and bagging courses I'd play more, and almost all of those were just myself.

In my current role as course bagger host, I've encountered plenty of folks who've notched 3, 4, even 5 courses in a day, mostly playing solo.

I actually prefer to play with people because I do not put as much stress on myself to make the perfect shot. When playing solo, I demand on myself to make a perfect shot every time because I know I can. However, when playing with people, not only are we being sociable, but I can see others making mistakes, making mine more tolerable.

However, rarely does my schedule jive with others, so I do find myself playing numerous rounds per week solo. Normally these only last just about an hour and it never feels like enough. I feel like I am forcing myself to leave when I know I could throw more. However, if time is not an issue, I find that I start getting mentally burned out at the conclusion of the second round (regardless of time). A third often feels like a chore because at that point I am just trying to improve upon what I have already done that day.

So far me in regards to solo play, it is not so much a matter of time but how repetitive the day becomes.

Last winter I played an endurance marathon where I completed 263 holes in 29 hours - keep in mind we are talking about winter and the course was definitely not a dinker loop. The first 40-60 were just fine, but after that it really became a chore. Only the last 28 were fun as I was rejoined by friends at that point.

I first met you IRL at... Trinity I think it was... I was in a group and you were solo with that sweatshirt of yours with the no bullspit patch...

heh... I just remembered that.
There's blast from the past! That was my very first road trip taken specifically for DG. I'd just finished playing Highland and basically tripped over the bunch of you (you, Juke, NAP/GDBP, Mash, WCG) in the parking lot... which was a pretty random occurrence given that I hadn't reached out to any locals.

paraphrasedconversation said:
Me: "Any of you guys on DGCR?"
Chorus: "All of us are on DGCR!"
One thing led to another and... "Hey, we're headed over to Trinity Links. Wanna come with?" or something to that effect. :hfive:

Last edited: