• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How many others will be banned?

I'm just never going to advocate carrying a bunch of different molds on a message board...kind-of for the same reason I don't curse in movie theaters during Disney movies. :)

Very well said, and great rationale. That's why I tried to give so many examples of different ways to play practice round -- must of which emphasize minimal discs and learning how every disc you have flies for all possible types of shots.

I think one of the best things most people could do for their game is play for a few months with just a putter. Then add a midrange and play that way for a month or two, then add a neutral driver and finish out the year with those three discs. It would be a hard challenge for most people, but I think if you did it with friends, it would be fun and keep the competition lively.

I could see a 123/321 challenge being a great idea. You and your friends all make a six-month commitment. For the first three months you get one disc (putter), for the next two months, you get two discs (putter,midrange), for the last month, you get three discs (putter, midrange, neutral driver). At the end of six months, you get your whole bag back... if you want it. I bet most amateur players would learn more in six months than in their first few years of play.

i know this post is SUPER old, but i stumbled across it and found it fascinating. I think the PDGA were wrong to eliminate quest discs.

the way my bag plays is 'survival of the fittest' if i have a good success the disc stays, so in the case of banning the wheel / turbo putt it should be decided by shop floor sales and discs in bags not anyone else.

as for disc selection bags that represent disc emporiums vs mold minimalism, survival of the fittest, is some sort of middle road here.

I must say that since I have been a member, this is one of the better threads I have read. Thanks to all who participated. It is a shame that half of the conversations (on other threads) are useless to say the least. I hope we continue talking about all the aspects of the game, not the same redundant bull$#!% that pops up from time to time. Keep it up fellas. Good on ya!

This is a sweet discussion. I finally learned what TL's, SL's and FL's are. i've been wondering that forever.

still, i would like to know how to tell the difference between an L mold and an X mold. if anyone knows, that would be awesome.

I have heard about the 'tee-rex' fiasco (i think threeputt mentioned it). I dont know what happened, but i heard that innova got the tops muddled up. how can i tell the difference between t-rex's and were the accidental change approved, or are the discs not legal?

My other question would be how on earth could you muddle the tops up!??!

I have heard about the 'tee-rex' fiasco (i think threeputt mentioned it). I dont know what happened, but i heard that innova got the tops muddled up. how can i tell the difference between t-rex's and were the accidental change approved, or are the discs not legal?

My other question would be how on earth could you muddle the tops up!??!
If you are wanting the TeeRex to be the wind-buster overstable driver it is supposed to be, get the ones with the sharp wings. Avoid the blunt-nosed TeeRex, especially the blunt nosed DX TeeRex.

If you want to impress you friends with how you can throw hyzer-flips with an overstable disc, look for the blunt-nosed DX TeeRex. :D

How did they muddle the tops? Good question. I have no actual knowledge of this, so this could all be made-up bunk...Innova has more than one mold piece for a lot of their molds. At some point they made a replacement piece for the "record" or "zipper" top (if you run you finger across the top it makes a sound like running a needle across a record) and put it into use. Unfortunately, it must not have been sufficiently tested, as the discs resulting form this mold piece were not as stable as they needed to be. The disc that was most notably impacted was the Viking, which was produced for several years with the defective top. Innova did not figure it out until people started complaining about the TeeRex. To make things worse, my understanding is that the "record" top was available the whole time. They just were no using it. Again I must give the disclaimer that I have no direct knowledge of this, although Dave Dunipace admitted to some of it on the PDGA site at one point.

This is a sweet discussion. I finally learned what TL's, SL's and FL's are. i've been wondering that forever.

still, i would like to know how to tell the difference between an L mold and an X mold. if anyone knows, that would be awesome.
Usually there is a stabilizer on the wing like a notch on the X molds VS the L molds that make them more overstable.

quest makes garbage discs anyways
From what I understood, Quest uses aluminum molds which they can make quickly and cheaply, but if you use a very dense plastic in them they will easily warp and distort. That was the reason I heard why the crappy SRP plastic was the top of the line Quest plastic last year. They have been releasing discs in improved plastic this year, but I noticed that the only Quest disc I have much experience with (the Inferno) has a different mold now in the premium plastic and flies like dung. I'm not sure if they had to make new molds out of a more durable material to stand up to the denser plastics, or if they just cut new molds all the time to account for the aluminum molds they trash. Anyway, I was not impressed with the premium plastic Inferno. They have been messing around all year with the Defender, which is STILL not PDGA approved. I'm beginning to think they are not going to get their discs approved and just sell them to the recreational market.

Latest posts