• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How you can tell course ratings are BS on here

The 1600' hole is defined by the runway lights and if you go outside you are OB. It is roughly 90' wide which sounds generous but it is harder than you think when you are throwing as hard as you can. Most go out at least once.

Yes, 90' wide looks awfully narrow even 300' from you.
I putt for six 20'-40' out both rounds, missing both but no OB along the way.
The OB near the pin adds good risk reward to the approach as well.

It amazes me the amount of people on here judging this course without even playing it. I understand the complaints coming from some people who have yet to experience Flyboy, and I'm sure many of them are coming from people pissed off that their favorite course got bumped down a spot or two in the rankings. I'm a pro who's been playing for 11 years now, have played 50+ courses across the country, and 3 of the other courses in the Top 10, and Flyboy blows them out of the water. Completely. People hear that its a private course in a neighborhood and think thats a bad thing. Hell no it's not. It ensures that everyone treats the course with the utmost respect. Those that come out to play do not litter and they dont behave like the jackasses that you might find on other courses. And there are really only a few holes that play near enough to someone's property where you would actually notice it. Plus, its not hard at all to set up a round out there. Contact Kelly and you're good to go. No hassle at all. There's also planes taking off periodically, but its not like it's an ongoing thing. I've played 10 different rounds before without seeing one plane, and other times they fly around all day, but the inconvenience of having to move off of the runway for 2 minutes while a plane takes off or lands is so so tiny when compared with the joy and novelty of playing the world's longest hole. Not one person whose played in any tourney out there has ever complained. Tee pads and signage is not an issue either. In the pics you see laminated signs next to rubber tee pads and automatically start bitching. I'd say 90% of the rubber tee pads are set up just fine and I've never had any issue with footing. They allow for the course to be constantly tweaked. And the signage, although not metal, features hole lengths, decriptions, and aerial shots taken from a plane above the hole. Where the hell else in the world will you find that? Nowhere, and that is why Flyboy gets all these 5 star ratings. Other complaints about no dual tee pads? How about a dual course? Kelly recently added 6 extra baskets in strategic places that enables you to play the course BACKWARDS!!! It flows seemlessly, is also a par 101, and actually plays even harder than the original 27 with numerous shots that the original layout doesnt have. So that makes for 54 incredible holes that you can come play on any given day. Sure, a lot of the people who post reviews only write a paragraph or two. Some people are either not gifted writers or they just dont like to write, but the fact that they felt compelled to actually take the time to log in and write a review speaks volumes about the quality of the course. Kelly is not sitting there at the hangar telling people to go write 5 star reviews. He encourages reviews but has never solicited a positive one in order to move up the ranks on DGCoursereview. He is all about the experience, and no one leaves Flyboy without feeling like they just left disc golf heaven. The course, the amenities, and the experience are all top notch. And the fact that numerous touring pros have played the course and instantly put it in their top 5 should make the naysayers question their preconceived notions. If you havent experienced Flyboy for yourself I encourage you to do whatever it takes to get down there. And if you're one of those people who feels the need the bitch and moan about every little detail without having ever seen the place and don't believe a course is 5 star rated unless it fits perfectly into your set definition then well, it's duly noted. But know this: Flyboy is better than your course:D

now just because there are no hills anywhere on the land it automatically can never be a 5star? thats not fair. by that logical there is no course in Kansas that could every be a 5star.
Correct. Nature isn't fair and I don't believe a flat course can be rated 5 discs which includes BRP.

i dont think its fair to rate a course less because the land that was set aside for it isn't a mountain or fantastic park. more important is how they used the land available and the features on it. BRP is basically flat as heck but every natural/unnatural feature is full utilized. at no point playing that course did i think moving the hole this way or that way would improve the course. now just because there are no hills anywhere on the land it automatically can never be a 5star? thats not fair. by that logical there is no course in Kansas that could every be a 5star.

Sure it is, it's called options and variety. However my need to have elevation, water, woods, on a course is a preference. But having played over 100 courses, and having options available to go where I want, that needs to be reflected in my ratings and reviews. I don't care that the land was well utilized, if it's flat and not littered with ultimate variety, it shouldn't rate high. It is very possible Kansas has no 5 disc courses. By converse logic, you're saying as long as the course did the best with what's available, would you give an uncharacteristically high score to a course that essentially circled some sports fields on school property? After all, that is the how they were directed to use the available land.

I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree that you don't think I should have terrain and natural features play a vital role in my rating scale. There are courses out there on amazing and unique physical wonders of natural properties. Many are probably private, but they exist, and I'd rather play them over any flat course (even BRP) if nothing else mattered (travel time, money, etc). That has to factor into ratings.

Surprisingly, the runway is not even close to level except side to side. There's about 15-20 ft elevation drop from tee to pin. Hole 21 is probably the biggest bomber downhill hole that uses the other end of the runway which runs downhill heading toward the FlyBoy hangar which is about 1/3 of the way down the runway and at the lowest point along it.

Totally forgot about 21. 23 is a good downhill too and probably my favorite.

Ya know, I used to think the top 10 fighting was complete lunacy created by some lunabats and HBB. Now I understand the dynamic...

1) Course gets immense popularity because it really is a great course
2) People see that and immediately think conspiracy theory and set out to trash it
3) People who are passionate about said course come to defend it
4) People get curious and go play said course and become "converts"
5) Return to step 1

I do not live near flyboy...its almost a 70mi drive from my house and it truly is a full day commitment and we have only played once and yet I defend it like I do...don'tcha think it might've just affected me just a little?

I think owners, including Parks Depts, of 27-hole courses that are pay for play should consider breaking them into two courses of 18 and 9 holes for marketing purposes. Better to have two courses to play when you are going to a venue, expecially one that charges. FlyBoy is already set up where hole 18 comes back to the hangar so the nine hole loop after that is all ready to go. We're thinking about doing something similar with Kaposia so it's an 18 and a 9 there.

I think this is the way to go as well

especially if you have a beginner relaxing niner and then a tougher pro level course

really comes down to land though

Flyboy has a signature 18 layout....I did the map for it:
5bb6db5d.jpg

Looks like you will get some exercise here...I am wanting to play this pretty bad now. 4 of my buddies from UGA played the collegiate open and all of them said it was amazing super duper sweet course. Best they have experienced.

Looking at the Top 10 list, we still have the issue of apples to oranges in the form of golds to blues. Flip, Blueberry, BRP and Deer Lakes are blue level courses. FlyBoy, Hornings, Idlewild and HB Gold are gold level courses. I don't know the other two. I listed them in descending order as they are rated so far within their blue or gold category. My order for the four courses in each category wouldn't be the same but I also wouldn't have them merged on the same list either if I had my druthers.

I always answer the question "did you find this review helpful" with a "no" if the clown reviewer whines or complains about tee signs, tee pads, distances or bag holders.

I always answer the question "did you find this review helpful" with a "no" if the clown reviewer whines or complains about tee signs, tee pads, distances or bag holders.

What do you constitute whining versus pointing out things about a course?

Looking at the Top 10 list, we still have the issue of apples to oranges in the form of golds to blues. Flip, Blueberry, BRP and Deer Lakes are blue level courses. FlyBoy, Hornings, Idlewild and HB Gold are gold level courses. I don't know the other two. I listed them in descending order as they are rated so far within their blue or gold category. My order for the four courses in each category wouldn't be the same but I also wouldn't have them merged on the same list either if I had my druthers.

The love for Deer Lakes is that it's a pleasant play and not as grueling as nearby Moraine...Ive noticed theres 2 camps in west PA Deer Lakes and Morraine.

This is another reason why some type of classification for challenge would benefit this site IMO...even if it is user driven and not precise

This thread is perhaps becoming thread of the year in my mind. Full introduction to a great course; and advanced discussion of what constitutes high ratings.

Unless this changes:
"Absolutely no walk-ons. Contact owner for permission to play and directions."
it should not be a true 5.
I think a course regularly accessible to the public with normal hours, whether pay for play or not, should be worth a quarter to half a disc, at least on the overall scale used here. As usual, the design and amenities get jammed together so you don't know if a 4.5 star course like FlyBoy (IMO) has a 5-star design and 4-star amenities or vice versa.

While I value your opinion, I don't agree with this. Whether you can walk on to the course or not would not influence how I rated a course. For me, it's all about the golf. Considering access (allowing walk-ons) is akin in my mind to geography. "That course in Oregon can't be a 5 to me, because it's too hard to get there." "Flip City/Idlewilde/Flyboy/WHATEVER can't be a 5 because I can't afford the gas to get there, or take the time to make proper arrangements to play there." Neither of those statements are anything other than bogus, in my mind.

It's all about the course for me. Access isn't an issue. Sure it would suck if the best course in the world was only available to be played one day per year (Winthrop Gold?), and it cost $100 to play, the question in my mind wouldn't be about access, it would be about the quality of the design, and how much fun I was having. I won't knock anyone for giving a course like Winthrop Gold a 5 disc rating, even though I wouldn't personally, I can still understand how someone else would consider it "the best of the best".

What do you constitute whining versus pointing out things about a course?

I often see complaints about tee pads being to short or too narrow. No distances or tee signs. Once you are off the tee you don't have the luxury of distances or proper footing. That sort of stuff has no actual bearing on whether a course is good or not. And bag holders? Does anyone really want to lift their bag up and hang it on every hole? Just not important.

As the OP indicated, a course should have everything to meet the 5 disc standard. Normal accessibility is a basic element of that which is in the Amenities category. A design might be a 5 (even though it's not yet at FlyBoy) but the lack of some amenities moves it down from a 5.