• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hyzer vs. Anhyzer

Bglo

Par Member
I throw right handed fore hand, and i was just wondering what the difference between a hyzer and an anhyzer?

It has to do with the direction the the disc is spinning. A hyzer turns into the spin and an anhyzer turns away from the spin. For you a hyzer would be a right turning disc and an anhyzer would be left. For a Right Hand Back Hand (RHBH) it is the opposite.

actually hyzer and anhyzer refer to angle of release, not to the direction the disc turns.

a hyzer release for rhfh would be with the side of the disc away from your body angled downward, anhyzer would be the opposite. these most commonly translate into a shot which would turn right for hyzer and left for anhyzer but not necessarily so- the hyzer flip where one throws an understable disc with a hyzer angle but has it flip up to go straight or even turn left (again for rhfh) is one of the most useful shots for negotiating tight holes.

so for a layman Anhyzer is is wrist cocked non grip hide pointing up
Hyzer is wrist relaxed disc pointing down.

actually hyzer and anhyzer refer to angle of release, not to the direction the disc turns.

a hyzer release for rhfh would be with the side of the disc away from your body angled downward, anhyzer would be the opposite. these most commonly translate into a shot which would turn right for hyzer and left for anhyzer but not necessarily so- the hyzer flip where one throws an understable disc with a hyzer angle but has it flip up to go straight or even turn left (again for rhfh) is one of the most useful shots for negotiating tight holes.

Dead on, but if I may elaborate, a description that might be more universal for both BH & FH releases might be:

Hyzer: The disc is released with the edge opposite of where the disc is being gripped, below the point where the disc is gripped.

Anhyzer: The edge opposite of the point being gripped is higher than the point being gripped.

The terms can even be applied to to thumbers and tomahawks, except you might have to substitue L & R for above and below - point is, just like FH & BH throws, overhead throws are similarly affected by the angle of release.

Technically speaking, Hyzer and Anhyzer, shouldn't be used to describe the disc's flight, but people tend to do so because most people know what a "typical hyzer shot" will do. A very overstable disc could be released with significant Anhyzer, and if you didn't see the angle release, the flight might appear to go straight initially and simpy fade L or R as expected, looking all the world like an ordinary hyzer thrown with a stable (rather than over or under) disc.

Hyzer-flip and Flex shots each refer to a specific combination of release angle and disc choice.

Hyzer-flip: The angle of release makes it a hyzer. What makes it a "flip" is disc choice. This shot is thrown using an understable disc, which is where the flip comes from - as the disct "turns" (as an understable disc will), it goes from a hyzer angle to flat, or maybe even turns over a bit. The same shot, if thrown with a stable disc, would simply be a hyzer.

Flex-shot: This is nothing more than an Anhyzer release, but thrown with an overstable disc, so that the discs overstability pulls it back to flat from the anhyzer angle. Again, the same shot thrown with a stable disc would simply be anhyzer.

In these types of shots, the thrower is using a hyzer or anhyzer angle to offset the over or under-stable flight cahracteristics of the disc.

The amount of hyzer or anhyzer used (angle imparted) should corrsepond to how much you want to affect the disc's travel (L or R) from how it would travel if you threw the same disc flat.

Sorry about the long windedness. A habit of mine (that bugs a great many) is: I try not to communicate in a way that can be understood - but do try to communicate in a way that cannot be misunderstood.

Last edited:
actually hyzer and anhyzer refer to angle of release, not to the direction the disc turns.QUOTE]

Good point. I was thinking more of Bglo's forehand vs my backhand. Thanks for clearing my fuzzy headed post up. (I gotta stop posting before coffee.)

great post bogey

Dead on, but if I may elaborate, a description that might be more universal for both BH & FH releases might be:

Hyzer: The disc is released with the edge opposite of where the disc is being gripped, below the point where the disc is gripped.

Anhyzer: The edge opposite of the point being gripped is higher than the point being gripped.

The terms can even be applied to to thumbers and tomahawks, except you might have to substitue L & R for above and below - point is, just like FH & BH throws, overhead throws are similarly affected by the angle of release.

Technically speaking, Hyzer and Anhyzer, shouldn't be used to describe the disc's flight, but people tend to do so because most people know what a "typical hyzer shot" will do. A very overstable disc could be released with significant Anhyzer, and if you didn't see the angle release, the flight might appear to go straight initially and simpy fade L or R as expected, looking all the world like an ordinary hyzer thrown with a stable (rather than over or under) disc.

Hyzer-flip and Flex shots each refer to a specific combination of release angle and disc choice.

Hyzer-flip: The angle of release makes it a hyzer. What makes it a "flip" is disc choice. This shot is thrown using an understable disc, which is where the flip comes from - as the disct "turns" (as an understable disc will), it goes from a hyzer angle to flat, or maybe even turns over a bit. The same shot, if thrown with a stable disc, would simply be a hyzer.

Flex-shot: This is nothing more than an Anhyzer release, but thrown with an overstable disc, so that the discs overstability pulls it back to flat from the anhyzer angle. Again, the same shot thrown with a stable disc would simply be anhyzer.

In these types of shots, the thrower is using a hyzer or anhyzer angle to offset the over or under-stable flight cahracteristics of the disc.

The amount of hyzer or anhyzer used (angle imparted) should corrsepond to how much you want to affect the disc's travel (L or R) from how it would travel if you threw the same disc flat.

Sorry about the long windedness. A habit of mine (that bugs a great many) is: I try not to communicate in a way that can be understood - but do try to communicate in a way that cannot be misunderstood.

Great post.

I throw right handed fore hand, and i was just wondering what the difference between a hyzer and an anhyzer?

If you played Ultimate: hyzer releases are inside out, and anhyzer releases are outside in.

When I was first exposed to these terms (and "turnover") back in the day, I was lost. Even the people telling me of these shots couldn't adequately describe what they meant. I distinctly remember searching the (pre-DGCR) net for weeks and still not getting an explanation as succinct and understandable as this. Kudos, BNM.

How do "io" and "oi" represent hyzer and anhyzer?

Because IO stands for Inside-Out and OI stands for Outside-In. Assuming your body is "inside" then an IO (hyzer) throw will first move across your body (inside) then away from you (out) whereas an OI (anhyzer) will first move away from you (outside) and then come back across (in). So the terminology kind of explains the trajectory a bit.

^^^Proving ultimate players have already had their lobotomy. :rolleyes:
Seriously, I've played ultimate since '76 and I've never heard this term. I guess the drugs in Cali are just that much better. :|

Last edited:
Strange, I've heard players from all over the country use the term. I played mostly in the midwest and south, but after discovering the scene here I've found everyone to be familiar with it as well. You are an old-timer though and in my experience old-timer's vocabularies are a little different than the younger generations of ultimate players. Or the drugs here may actually be that much better.

The terms Hyzer and Anhyzer were coined by H.R. "Fling" Hyzer to describe the angle of release of a Frisbee. A disc enthusiast active in the 60s and 70s, Hyzer was known in his day as the Father of the "Flying Flutterball".

Sorry to bump an old thread on my very first post, but as a beginner three weeks in, already thoroughly confused by the terminology just trying to purchase a disc much less throw the thing, BogeyNoMore has provided the best explanation I have found in literally hours of searching.

And I even picked up a great communications tip.

Excellent Post BogeyNoMore and Thanks!

Latest posts