• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I find your disc, but it's only got your pdga number.

KansasBoy

I find a disc. Just a pdga number on it. I think it's the guy two holes ahead who I see driving by in his car. I try to flag him down, but he just waves. So now I look up his name on the pdga website-fred smith. Awesome. There's a million of them in town. Wtf am I meant to do now? If you'd just put your number on it, you'd've had it right back. Why inform me of your pdga number? I can't get any contact info with it. Useless. Why do guys do this? Is there some group of criminals searching for lost discs and then using the numbers for nefarious purposes?

I'm keeping the disc by the way. I just want to know what's up with this. It seems pompous to me.

I find a disc. Just a pdga number on it. I think it's the guy two holes ahead who I see driving by in his car. I try to flag him down, but he just waves. So now I look up his name on the pdga website-fred smith. Awesome. There's a million of them in town. Wtf am I meant to do now? If you'd just put your number on it, you'd've had it right back. Why inform me of your pdga number? I can't get any contact info with it. Useless. Why do guys do this? Is there some group of criminals searching for lost discs and then using the numbers for nefarious purposes?

I'm keeping the disc by the way. I just want to know what's up with this. It seems pompous to me.

He probably plays PDGA sanctioned tournaments. One of the requirements of playing PDGA sanctioned tourneys is having a unique identifying mark on your discs. Many people choose to use their PDGA number for this purpose.

What was the disc if you don't mind me asking? I put my PDGA # plus my name, phone number, and where I live. I know its a lot but I get a lot of my discs returned.

I found a disc like that once and after much hassle found out who his sponsor was. Called the sponsor for contact info and they told me they didn't know how to reach the guy any more (sounded like they thought he was a bit of a DB). So for lack of anything better to do, I kept the disc and have played with it regularly ever since. If I ever meet up with this guy I'll offer to return it, seeing as how I've gotten several years' worth of good play out of it by now, but I don't see much point spending more time & effort trying to find him when he couldn't take 0:05 to put his phone number on the disc in the first place.

i found one with a first name only the other day. No phone, pdga or even a last name... its sitting in the trunk and will probably get donated to to a noob or a kid or something (new dx valk fwiw).

Nice!

It was an star excalibur.

I hunted a guy down once with just a pdga#, but he had a unique name.

Just keep it.
I found one like that once. Went on the PDGA website, found the guy.
Membership no longer active (or something like that), no contact info.
Blech.
Do what you can, but we can only do so much.

Luckily if you find one of mine and look it up, I'm easy to find :D. But I lost one a while back that had my PDGA # dyed on the front as well as my name and number on the back... I found it at a Play It Again Sports :(... So doesn't matter what you do.

Sometimes if I have an unmarked disc in my bag before a tourney I will normally just throw my PDGA # on there real quick in case I get an a-hole that wants to stroke me for not having an ID on the disc.

I started putting an e-mail address on my discs that I set up only for this purpose.

Last week I lost a disc and yesterday someone sent me an e-mail that they found it.

i ask the people who do that why all the time? its always some incredibly stupid answer. the best i ever got was a shrug. unless i know the person i make no effort to return those discs. if you want your disc back but your # on it. if not then whatever. returning a disc is out of the kindness of the person who finds it, make it easy on them.

Sometimes if I have an unmarked disc in my bag before a tourney I will normally just throw my PDGA # on there real quick in case I get an a-hole that wants to stroke me for not having an ID on the disc.

1 stroke per hole played with said disc in your bag IIRC

1 stroke per hole played with said disc in your bag IIRC

Actually 1 stroke per toss after the warning :(... But that's why I mark them with my PDGA# real quick :D. :thmbup:

F. All discs used in play, except mini marker discs, must be uniquely marked in ink or pigment-based marking which has no detectable thickness. A player shall receive a warning for the first instance of throwing an unmarked disc if observed by two or more players of the group or an official. After the warning has been given, each subsequent throw by the player with an unmarked disc shall incur one penalty throw if observed by two or more players of the group or an official.

I just sharpie my first name on my discs. No number, just my name.

The rules call for an identifying mark and SONNY works well for me. I try to operate on a 'no discs left behind' policy, so I don't lose much but there are some water holes around here. And I get discs back now and then because most of the local players know me. It's funny too because the lost discs in question are almost always DX Valks. I just tell them to keep them if they like them or I'll take it back if they don't. It's usually a super flippy flyer, so I get 'em back a lot. (i love that flippy plastic though)

Bottom line, if I lose a disc, that's just part of the game. Yeah it's no fun when you lose a disc that's beat just right, but how effective is putting your number on it really?

If you want your disc back but your # on it. if not then whatever. returning a disc is out of the kindness of the person who finds it, make it easy on them.

This.

I rake the lake at my home course and come across quite a few inked discs. I like to return discs, but get frustrated at how hard it can be sometimes. Some of my pet peeves:

1) Write legibly. Don't make me call 2 or 3 possible combinations because I can't make out a couple of digits.
2) Put an area code on there. Houston has three area codes, don't make me call all three.
3) If we agree on a time to meet so you can get your disc, don't pull a no show.

I used to go to great lengths trying to return a disc. The more I do it, more I get tired of trying too hard to do a nice thing. I used to post on the local message board when I found name and no number. I have quit doing that. I figure if the individual wanted a random person to return his disc, he would have put his number on there to make it a lot easier.

Actually 1 stroke per toss after the warning :(... But that's why I mark them with my PDGA# real quick :D. :thmbup:

I just put a very tiny star on the rim if I do not want to ink it up. makes it legal, but does not hurt the value if the disc doesn't work out.

i found a ce firebird like this

and the name couldn't be more generic

i'd be happy to return it, i mean i'm not even throwing it and I got the cig smell off of it

If you don't want that CE firebird, want to give it to me? And you have to be kidding, the disc didn't smell like cigs unless you found it in a cig factory wrapped into a cig and smoked. You didn't, did you?

Latest posts