• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I'll just chop it down

My pet peeve is when someone tries to remove a branch and leaves a two foot stub that can't heal over and is a portal for insects and disease. If you're going to remove a branch, why not educate yourself and remove the branch just outside the branch collar? I have personally removed about 50 such stubs at our local courses and it never seemingly ends.

It's so simple a concept that even an idiot such as myself can understand it.

Please remove the branches by cutting just outside the branch collar.

http://hort.ifas.ufl.edu/woody/deadbranchremoval.html

http://www.treesaregood.org/treecare/pruning_mature.aspx

Got any pictures? Maybe one before the trees were cut to compare. Perhaps they were opening up a new alley (multiple drive lane/options are good sometimes)

Sadly I do not have any before/after pics. I can assure you however that in both cases SOME trimming was in order. But these two flat out hacked it down to the ground.It wasn't to open a new lane. The lanes were already there, it was just a little trimming back that was needed since the growth was starting to close the original intended lanes.These 2 guys simply figured that hacking it all down would be the easiest way for them to eliminate their inability to play the hole.In both situations, all the locals agreed that trimming was due, but completely eliminating the obstacle was NOT to be done.

My pet peeve is when someone tries to remove a branch and leaves a two foot stub that can't heal over and is a portal for insects and disease. If you're going to remove a branch, why not educate yourself and remove the branch just outside the branch collar? I have personally removed about 50 such stubs at our local courses and it never seemingly ends.

WOW, that IS simple. Thanks for the links. That will come in handy around the old yard.
-JD

Great links.

Personally I love looking at the trees taht have dents in them because of how many discs have hit them. You really should never cut down trees ever. If they are dead well then I guess you have a reason. At the same time courses should be made more challenging, not less.

Several hundred volunteer hours went into removing thorns from the edges of the fairways at Giles Run this winter, taking special care to leave any and all trees intact. Most of these trees have been mis-shapen by vines or just barely surviving with the minimal sunlight they recieved under the thorn canopy. Basically the same situation which occurred at Seneca Creek 2 decades ago. The trees burn from overexposure to sunlight the first year, send out new sprouts the second and third years, and then explode with new growth after that.

Giles has few trees in play and we are planning to plant this fall to provide shade near the tees with future plantings to define the fairways. There are acres and acres of blackberry bushes lining the fairways right now and most playes carry pruners, machete's and disc retrievers while they play.

Here lies the rub, some moron with a machete chopped down some trees on the right side of a hole (5) which was designed to force a left to right shot.

I can not ban machete's from the course but I am going to take action by planting upright 4x4's in those locations with new trees planted behind them.

Last edited:
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey

During the warm up week (a couple days before the tournament) for the 1995 Am Worlds in Cincinnati there was a guy who went on to a course and trimmed trees that he didn't like. I can't remember which course or who it was but the tournament directors and officials (I was an official) found out who did it and we DQ'd him from the tournament.

He went on to a course in the middle of the night with a chainsaw and trimmed stuff. Talk about ballsy.... and stupid. I couldn't believe it. The courses were really nice and fair. At least I thought they were fair.

The Parks Deparment did some course maintenance on Central Park in Southaven, MS over the winter, removing quite a few trees. However, all of the trees were dead, and they removed them after 2 or 3 had already fallen, so it was done as a safety measure. To me, that is a legitimate removal -- done by someone with proper authority and done for safety of park users. Of course, none of the removals affected play in any way -- the locations were out of the line of all but the worst grip-locked throws.

I was just talking to my buddy about this, he was complaining cuz they put a cedar tree up where previously there was a group of skinny deciduous trees that jutted out into the fairway. The basket (hole 12, Castle Hayne, NC) lies just past this corner and use to you could get lucky and through this corner cause it got too thin. He says the cedar looks way out of place like a Christmas tree and that you might as well put a wall up. He told me he's gonna decorate it for Christmas, I told him to use old marker discs.

I can not ban machete's from the course but I am going to take action by planting upright 4x4's in those locations with new trees planted behind them.
treereplacement-1.jpg

there are people that have been doing this forever and they continue to do so(just like litterbugs you never seem to catch them in the act)..or even stealing baskets...but that's another thread in itself..nature makes the course thinner thru time, sux when a few idiots ruin it for everyone by being midnight ninja custodians

there are people that have been doing this forever and they continue to do so(just like litterbugs you never seem to catch them in the act)..or even stealing baskets...but that's another thread in itself..nature makes the course thinner thru time, sux when a few idiots ruin it for everyone by being midnight ninja custodians

how about when the course designer cut down half the trees on four holes so they can fit their massive pickup through for "Course Maintainence". the only course maintainence is thinning the holes, ripping up sod, and making way to many deep tire tracks.

How deep did you set them? Will the same person(S) be able to remove em ?
They were set at 18 inches with a grateful "dead man", cross pinned rebar and large stone substrate.

Those trees were an integral part of my design for the hole/course flow.
This song was in my head while I was installing the 4x4's

I Won't Back Down
Well I won't back down, no I won't back down
You can stand me up at the gates of hell
But I won't back down

Gonna stand my ground, won't be turned around
And I'll keep this world from draggin' me down
Gonna stand my ground and I won't back down

Hey baby, there ain't no easy way out
Hey I will stand my ground
And I won't back down.

Well I know what's right, I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
But I'll stand my ground and I won't back down

Hey baby there ain't no easy way out
And I won't back down
No, I won't back down

They were set at 18 inches with a grateful "dead man", cross pinned rebar and large stone substrate.

Those trees were an integral part of my design for the hole/course flow.
This song was in my head while I was installing the 4x4's

I Won't Back Down
Well I won't back down, no I won't back down
You can stand me up at the gates of hell
But I won't back down

Gonna stand my ground, won't be turned around
And I'll keep this world from draggin' me down
Gonna stand my ground and I won't back down

Hey baby, there ain't no easy way out
And I won't back down.

Well I know what's right, I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
But I'll stand my ground and I won't back down

Hey baby there ain't no easy way out
And I won't back down
No, I won't back down

so you were the one who designed the course and someone else cut all the brush there down? you should put up bushes and hide maximum security prison style razor wire in them.

so you were the one who designed the course and someone else cut all the brush there down? you should put up bushes and hide maximum security prison style razor wire in them.

Yes, I designed it to meet the standards required by the Fairfax Co. Park Authority and they cleared the initial fairways with brush hogs. The periphery of the course has small vine smothered trees scattered amongst a dense canopy of blackberry bushes.

The brush debris in the photo is remnants of blackberry bushes and vines which volunteers removed, with my guidance, over the winter. The two hacked trees (in front of the posts) were true survivors, they spent their entire life fighting for sunlight amidst the thorns and vines. Extra time and effort was spent by the volunteers to extricate those trees from the thorns without damaging them.

The extricated trees need sun, rain and time; not machete's. Many of the two foot twigs extracted from the multifloral roses at Seneca Creek in the early 90's are now 25 feet tall.

BTW:The prison security office had displays of some razor wire, shivs, handcuffs, ankle bracelets, etc that were pretty scary!

Anyone ever have someone come out to a workday at their local course and chop something down simply because they kept hitting it?

I will never understand folks like that. Pas bon.

We have had bush bandits a few times. Once some vandal cut down a cherry tree (that would bloom each year!) on a fairway at one of our courses.

Assclown, for lack of a better word.