• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Illianasconsinigan Members (Part III)

I got out to Oak Brook today...Serious Steve shamed me into moving palates for him in the middle of a round. :rolleyes: Can't an out-of-towner get in a round without doing course work?

I got out to Oak Brook today...Serious Steve shamed me into moving palates for him in the middle of a round. :rolleyes: Can't an out-of-towner get in a round without doing course work?

Congratulations!!! You now qualify as an official Oakbrook Course Designer!!

I invited him to come work on my course in Missouri; he just kept talking about all the work he had done for free like he didn't hear me. :\

That's Steve for ya! I can't picture him going out to MO to work on a course any time soon. He has his hands tied up around here with a few other projects in the works. Not to mention personal responsibilities.

I, on the other hand, would love to come out and help for a couple weekends (maybe more). I would have to con a couple other guys to come with. And trying to get them to do more work than golf would be tough though.

FWIW.....The Bear at highbridge is the best course there IMO......However, I would never go back and play it again without it being properly manicured. Granite and Blueberry were in the best conditions (actually really good condition). I'm still debating whether any course out there would hit my top ten. They are all great courses, but that place in general needs a lot of work. I also wonder about the inconsistent opinions about this place. I think it has a lot to do with the conditions of the courses/resort at certain times of the year.

Just for the heck of it here are ten courses I think are better than blueberry, gold or granite........

1. Milo McIver (east and west fling layout)
2. Deer Lakes
3. Morraine State Park
4. Leviathon blacks
5. Idlewild
6. Renny Gold
7. Hornets nest (charlottes web)
8. Whistlers bend
9. Centralia
10. Rollin Ridge (with all the updates)

Am I crazy? Or do I just crave being brutalized by difficult courses?

We had a blast at highbridge......and I do like the courses, (trust me they are great). I just wonder if the "private" aspect and atmosphere like is seen at flip adds too much to the ratings.

.....again this is not a bash on highbridge because bear, blueberry and gold are flirting with my top ten. Bear would be in it for sure if it was taken care of....hands down

edit above post

rolling ridge does not hit my top ten.

west lake in the quad cities edges it out.....(long tees)

Last edited:
All of those on your list battle it out with the likes of Highbridge courses. (You must keep in mind that very few have played that group and Highbridge.) Renny had some significant navigation issues for a while (seems they have been finally trying to fix those?). Centralia has added another 9 or 18; since I've been there last and it also seems they are resolving their natural tees issue.

High Bridge; for sure, gets bonus points for having a number of great courses on site and for being able to spend an entire period in one place...The glow aspect which allows you to play all night if you would like is also a rarity.

It also gets bonus points from many, whether they know it or not, for being so secluded. You have to want to go to High Bridge as a destination; as it is very much in the "middle of nowhere."

A few of those in your list are fairly heavily played and thus, thus, the "course to myself" vibe is missing.

I, personally, like the charm of not quite knowing what you will get up there (and...I've been fortunate enough to never really experience really bad maintenance conditions).

I've not had a chance to play full Bear.

*I've not played the two Cali courses you noted. West Lake is one of my all time favorites.*

Our favorite style of course is very similar; as I'm right with you on just about all of those.

Really, just about all of those courses could be considered 5 rated.

Last edited:
I think Gold long compares to all of the longer/more multiple shots courses you listed (and it offers a lesser set of tees that are still tough; but allow your more "average Joe" to attempt to tackle the course).

Blueberry also gets a lot of points for exactly that reason. I.e. lesser players can attempt to attack it.

Granite allows big arm lovers to throw big.

Woodland offers technical break in the action.

In other words, you can move from one course to another there; and fulfill any desire you have for just about any style of play.

I could probably post twenty times on your post :).

*Fairly serious bromance?*

There are probably five courses (most of them private) that I have been to (my spring trip has been to Charlotte area five times now); that I've visited since I last played Renny or Hornets Nest. I keep telling myself those need to get back on the list; but some of the ones I like even better; combined with great new courses going in, nearby; combined with the craziness of always combining somewhere on the way for a couple of days; keeps knocking those off the list....

West Lake Park is a safety nightmare...terrible design in that regard.

Played at West Lake four times; including once with @40 discers and have never had to skip a hole. Only had to throw near people a couple of times. I think they did a pretty good job of knowing where people were not going to be; despite the area looking like an area for people to be. There are really only a few holes with the possibility of people being there. One of those happens to be a great hole (over the picnic table area; with all the road/lot o.b. stuff guarding the green entrance.)

It is a consideration though. Especially for those who do not control their discs well. But, there are other good courses in the area for noobs; West Lake caters to those really wanting a long round challenge; and has been relatively empty of players; each time I've been there.

Last edited:
Played at West Lake four times; including once with @40 discers and have never had to skip a hole. Only had to throw near people a couple of times. I think they did a pretty good job of knowing where people were not going to be; despite the area looking like an area for people to be. There are really only a few holes with the possibility of people being there. One of those happens to be a great hole (over the picnic table area; with all the road/lot o.b. stuff guarding the green entrance.)

It is a consideration though.

Maybe we just hit it at a bad time? :\ There were people EVERYWHERE. Picnic tables full of people in fairways, fishermen blocking the water carries, kayak-ers landing (literally) on our teepad, walkers, sunbathers, et al.

Edit: You know me, Paulie, the tougher the better...but when you can't properly play several holes because of the mass of humanity, something's wrong....:\

It is small things like that; that knock a course out of the very top group; as it's a valid consideration (just not one that I typically care too much about (I've played my local courses/when packed/backwards; against the grain/and made it work; without putting anyone in danger; or slowing anyone down; so....a few people I have to throw around is no big deal :))

*Want to note that I would not post this in the main forum (the throwing backwards part). But, since this is just us Illinaconsinigan "locals"; seems o.k. to note. :|

If that picnic table area was full; there is no way you can play that hole. I've thrown over a fisherman and sunbathers there though! :)

Last edited:
I asked the people at the picnic table to move, and they did. Got the par. :cool:

^^^:hfive:

Regarding Rollin' Ridge; since I'm a homer; I stay out of that discussion for now. It is a great course to compare to others though; as I attempt to eventually come to a rating conclusion for it.

Once the water fall goes in, that will be a feature you really can't find anywhere. (I did deuce the small water fall hole at Circle R, in Texas, with a broken ankle :cool:)