• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Indoor Courses

mndiscg

Eagle Member
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Playing DG in the winter in Minnesota and South Dakota isnt much fun when your fingers are frozen. Is there any indoor disc golf courses in the US? How much would one cost to build?

It'd have to be a huge building to get an 18-hole course inside, and would probably cost milllions of dollars. You suddenly have ball golf green fee prices ($50+) to play. It's an interesting idea, just not feasible.

I've heard of some clubs/groups using highschool or college gyms as a space to set-up putting courses. You can use bleachers as "hills", or stack baskets on top of tables, maybe stack up chairs to form a small "bush" you have to putt over...whatever you can get your hands on.

You might also consider buying a mini-basket and setting up an indoor mini-disc-golf course.

They have a video game for ball golf that lets you hit the ball into a large screen, so why not the same type of thing for disc golf? This would only be hard because your disc might not have the same fade to the left and right, so every shot would be right down the middle if you hit it right on.

Make the controller look like a disc and have 2 sensors in it, one on each end. So when you tilt the controller, it can tell how much angle you put on it and how fast you threw it.

Just keep an eye out for DG on Wii to get your DG fix.

There's a Wii game "Big Beach Sports" that has disc golf on it. You get a driver, mid-range and putter, ability to throw back-hand or forehand. the discs react to the controller being tilted when you throw, but all that said I wouldn't say its the most realistic game they can come up with. Still fun though. My girlfriend, who will occasionally go out and play a round with me, kicks my butt in it.

I agree. Disc golf on the Wii would rule. They should make it where you could design your own course as well.

Indoor DG could be a good re-use of empty big-box retail space if economically feasible. But, I think you are probably right about the cost-prohibitive obstacle. Any manufacturers interested in studying this?

10down

i saw a video that looked like it was in an old abandoned factory. it was definitely a pitch n putt par 2ish type of course but it looked fun as hell. if you had a building like this available (and in todays economy with so many factories tanking it's very possible) you could just take out some cheap liability insurance and throw something like this up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9EI50sX7Jc

I've seen indoor driving ranges for ball golf. I suppose you could use one of these, but getting your disc back might be a bit of a challenge if there are ball golfers driving...

This is something ive always thought of! It seems like if someone opened and indoor course in the northern area of the US it would do pretty good (especially with the sport growing). It would for sure be an investment to start but if you had high prices in the winter and lower prices in the summer it would probably pay off! And maybe even have an outdoor course on the same propery for in the summer. Also I think the most efficient way to do it (both price and play quality) would be in a sports dome-

http://www.takkle.com/thumbs/scale/max/468x351/photofiles/2006/12/1115/12865.jpg

Anyway, I had to jump into this convo, cus this is something ive also wanted to see or even do (and hopefully will someday)!! But good luck to anyone who tries this because I think its a really good idea! And I WILL be surprised if I NEVER see an "indoor DGC" in my life time!

There's a very large old abandon apartment building, I think 25 floors, that I see often when driving by. I can imaged to have this whole building converted into indoor course with fake jungle tree environment settings at each floors.

Cool, uh? :cool:

They have indoor ski mountains in the middle of the desert in Dubai, so anythings possible. Of course money is the big factor and Ive seen many indoor skateparks close down do to slow business in the middle of tony hawk mania so I dont think anyone with half a brain is gonna build an indoor disc golf park to try to make money. Possilby out of love for the sport, but not for profit thats for sure.

I dont think anyone with half a brain is gonna build an indoor disc golf park to try to make money. Possilby out of love for the sport, but not for profit thats for sure.

maybe not short term, but long term you could make profit (if you did everything right)

Well lets not forget about heating a huge building in the middle of winter. I've
got a 1200^' house and its $220 a month in Jan., Feb.

But, I've got a innova discatcher in my basement. If I could find 18 places to move
it, I could have a full course! I just have to get rid of the huge gravity furnace right
in the middle of the room.

there is a new downloadable wii dg game coming out soon that is supposed to be a lot more realistic that the beach game...

The link for that indoor course was really cool. I'll be it sharpens your putting for the outdoor months. Very creative use of the building.