• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

(insert pro disc golfer's name) leaving (insert established disc golf company name)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We all knew it was prodigy for a while here. What no one knows yet is who the "big company" bankrolling them are? Supposedly there is some money behind the company so there will be some long term success/ sustainability for these touring pros?

Maybe it's just folks like you and me who really love the game, who have some money.

Don't forget "big" is a relative term. big money in DG is a very different animal than big money in virtually anything else out there.

Bankrolling is also likely a misnomer. Many pros were "compensated" in non cash ways. In a crude analogy, much like a carpenter being paid in extra wood.

Followed this thread since the beginning. Was expecting more from the first real "press" release than some new discs with some more new discs to follow. A bit underwhelming. I do enjoy trying some new plastic though and look forward to giving them a throw. Was just hoping for something a little more special I guess. Good luck to Prodigy and all their pros. Look forward to seeing the new discs hopefully at my local shop soon.

Maybe it's just folks like you and me who really love the game, who have some money.

Connor, I hear ya.

There's something to recognize about Dr money, banker,lawyer,pilot, etc money.

Then..there's Greenwell money. Who could say no to that?

Anyway, if I was a prospective pro I would find interest in signing onto a venture like this if I felt that the compensation method gave me a bigger stake or opportunity. It changes things from a passive/receive model to one of enabling my own success going forward. Gosh, entice me with a base guaranteed compensation, even if modest by outside standards, but the gravy or sustainability is in say... Commission of sales, etc.

Sure, my performance is important, but my likability, my sales ability, my teaching and clinic running skills become invaluable in driving that gravy part of the equation. It might drive me to be friendlier, teach more, hang and talk to locals more, make personal gear recommendations. I'll truck around more gear to promote, I'll make myself more presentable. I'll curb my tantrums, becomes less prickly if I need to. I'll learn to turn off "the competitive animal". I'll work with kids more, shake more hands. I might see a way for me to stay connected and sustainable in this sport if my skills suffer a setback. Maybe I could make a place for myself in regional sales even after my championships are being won by someone else.

You know... Become more truly professional.

Followed this thread since the beginning. Was expecting more from the first real "press" release than some new discs with some more new discs to follow. A bit underwhelming. I do enjoy trying some new plastic though and look forward to giving them a throw. Was just hoping for something a little more special I guess. Good luck to Prodigy and all their pros. Look forward to seeing the new discs hopefully at my local shop soon.

Welcome to DGCR SlickNick.

There could be more to this story that has not been revealed yet.

If I can throw a Prodigy disc further and I get more distance then dont care what anyone says. all I need is 25 to 50 ft more D.

I have heard Wilson golf has joined the ranks. I am not for sure if they are backing the prodigy project or not. From what I have been told they are in on apparel and accessories

A bit underwhelming.

^ This.

So anyone here wanting to go out, melt all their existing disc stockpile down into a gelatinous goo, sell their blood, and go out and buy at least 50 of those Prodigy drivers? I mean, we're 1400 posts into this thing now. I was hoping someone would volunteer to be the guinea pig.

So far I am more impressed than I thought I would be. The video is well done and has me more curious than most of the junk that led to the hype. I am curious to see what the pros say. I am curious to know more about how the pros have an interest int he company. I am curious to know how this is going to change disc golf and make it bigger and better. I love the idea of having pros who are truly professional in our sport, meaning they make their living playing this game and can do more to help the game grow. At this point I feel like not much has changed but I have a lot more faith in the reality that Prodigy could make a big impact.

I doubt we'll ever know exactly what the financial details of this are. That's not exactly something the company is just going to put out there... Look at how little we know about the pay structure for Innova and Discraft's top pros, and they've been in the game forever.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned: Are there any pros that announced they were leaving sponsors that didn't go with Prodigy? I've lost track of who was leaving where and who was going where. I want to know who (if anyone else) went to DD, and if anyone switched from Innova to Discraft (or Lat64).

Just read Nikko Locastro tweet The following will be joining him at a new company Prodigy disc each of them have a vested interest in the company. Catrina Allen, Paige Pierce, Sarah Hokom, Cal Leiviska, Paul Ulibarri, Garrett Gurthie, Cameron Colglazier, Ricky Wysocki, Jeremy Koling and Will Schustrerick.

My 2 cents:
-I hope they are successful, it will put pressure on Innova and Disccraft to do a better job compensating their pros. May also help to keep prices from climbing.
- Surprised they do not already have discs ready to sell. All this hype will go to waste if they cannot get their product to market fast.
- Also surprised to see GG name on the list. He is a great player but has no major titles that I can think of.
-Lastly I think them signing Ricky Wysocki and Will Schustreick is huge! The best in the world and soon to be best in the world.

My 2 cents:
-I hope they are successful, it will put pressure on Innova and Disccraft to do a better job compensating their pros. May also help to keep prices from climbing.
- Surprised they do not already have discs ready to sell. All this hype will go to waste if they cannot get their product to market fast.
- Also surprised to see GG name on the list. He is a great player but has no major titles that I can think of.
-Lastly I think them signing Ricky Wysocki and Will Schustreick is huge! The best in the world and soon to be best in the world.

GG is just a cool dude and a good player as well. I'd want him as one of the faces of my company if I had one. It's not all about who's won what it is about who will represent your company with class and GG fits that bill.

Having said that why is Koling there? :D

jk jerm if you see this

This company could only be concerned with making enough money to give each of them a pay check and cover touring expenses. They're all players who probably felt like they never where taken care of by their former sponsor. This seems to be why Legacy was started. It gives them touring money now and hopefully a job after they retire. Starting this company will give control of all the profits. Hopefully they estimated how much money is left over after the discs are made and it works out for all of them.

^ for the most part^
The guy in video wispering " and uhm" constantly was hurting my brain.

Lightning might have a problem with the names of the Prodigy drivers.

I lmao when the guy in the video said he wanted us to send him the names of disc golf retailers, Really!?

They will start releasing discs trough the year ? ANd what will their pros play with ? o_O

IMO you should have the discs first, then recruit players.

Status
Not open for further replies.