• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Intro and Thanks!

RollingStone

Greetings all,

My name is Roger, and I recently was tipped off to this site by a gentleman I met on Brett Hambrick DGC in Columbus. I can already tell I'm going to be hooked. I travel all around the country for my job, and have played courses in 2 countries, and over 20 states over the last 15 years. Until now I'd fed my disc addiction by word of mouth or Google when I arrived in a new town. After browsing around a little I can see that I've missed out on some phenomenal courses just this year, and look forward to the opportunity to remedy that in the future. It's interesting to see that I live within an hour of the two top rated courses on this site, and I'll be sure to drive down to Cincinnati to check out Mt Airy and Idlewild while I'm in Ohio. Frustratingly I was in Grand Rapids Michigan in March, and missed out on Flip City.

Thanks again for all the information, and I'll be sure to contribute. I probably won't review courses with tons of info already (unless I've got something new or different to add of course) and I'll try to play 2-3 of the top courses in each area before writing reviews.

One question though: How do people on this site feel about multiple 5 disc reviews from a single reviewer. It seems like I've played 2 courses with 5 disc ratings already this year (the two Selahs) , missed out on another (Flip), and plan to play a fourth this month (Idlewild). I will probably only give one 5 disc review, giving all other courses a 4.5. In my opinion, there really can only be one "perfect" course, and all others should get a high rating, but one that reflects that there is something better out there. However I plan to read lots of reviews before submitting any, so hopefully I'll provide useful insights. One final thank you, and I look forward to getting to know you all!

--Rog

Nothing wrong with giving out 5 disc reviews to courses you feel really deserve it, but it will look a bit odd if those are the only ones you write.

Welcome to the site, I think you'll find that it just got way easier to find the best courses in whatever area you find yourself. I often think back on all the trips I took using the PDGA directory and local boards and how many great courses I missed out on because of not having a resource like this.

One question though: How do people on this site feel about multiple 5 disc reviews from a single reviewer. It seems like I've played 2 courses with 5 disc ratings already this year (the two Selahs) , missed out on another (Flip), and plan to play a fourth this month (Idlewild). I will probably only give one 5 disc review, giving all other courses a 4.5. In my opinion, there really can only be one "perfect" course, and all others should get a high rating, but one that reflects that there is something better out there. However I plan to read lots of reviews before submitting any, so hopefully I'll provide useful insights. One final thank you, and I look forward to getting to know you all!

Welcome.

I have two 5 disc reviews. As long as they're justified, I see no problem with having multiples.

To me, a 5 disc rating is not absolute perfection, but is the absolute highest tier of elite courses where there is little that can be done to improve them. Each course has it's own personality and uniqueness, and at that top level, it can be hard to decide that one course is better than another. Each top level course is great for it's own unique reasons.

I guess what I'm trying to say is there's no set rubric that makes a course a 5 disc course. So it's perfectly reasonable to rate multiple courses at this level.

Welcome to the site, Roger. You'll find no better resource for locating courses than good ol' DGCR! We're certainly a merry band of misfits here. I imagine you fly a lot for work, but I will say that the Road Trip planner that comes with a Premium Membership ($25/year) is worth a lot more than that if you travel a lot. Plug in two destinations, set how far off your route you want to travel, and it returns all the courses that fit that criteria, as well as driving directions.

If you're playing the Cincinnati area during a weekday evening or on a weekend and want a guide, let me know. I'd be happy to show you the sights!

I've written 25 reviews and have no 5-disc yet[one 4.5 disc]. I just haven't played the right course yet.
But welcome, and hope you enjoy the fun here! Don't forget to bone up on your trolling chops. ;) :D