• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Just curious, but why down vote a review?

there's a very popular course in texas that's on a snake preserve, I put in my review that there was a great deal of grafitti on the tables and benches, and that kind of vandalism bothers me. This has gotten me lots of thumbs down, even though my overall rating of the course was 3.5 stars based on the quality of the course. Reviews are opinions, right? I mean if someone puts up a review that has good information, it's helpful to me, even if I disagree with wether they liked the course or not.

I don't give thumbs up or down so I wasn't one of them. I do question your logic though. I don't see how the rating of either of those courses should be affected by vandals. That's like giving a course a bad rating because someone stole a basket.

It sounds like I need to start writing reviews. Reviews that include the important things like; hole descriptions, troublesome transition holes, water availability, bathroom access, and fairway maintenance. Even fairway maintenance is a stretch.

I've avoided reviews because I always felt like I should have at least 30 comparisons across state lines. What may be a 5 star course here might be a 3 star course in nc or elsewhere. Ill give it a try this weekend though.

Are there poisonous snakes around? I don't see that mentioned anywhere on the course front page.
The course has a big sign at the beginning that talks about it. I very nearly stepped on one looking for a disc in tall grass near water.

I don't see how the rating of either of those courses should be affected by vandals. That's like giving a course a bad rating because someone stole a basket.

That's you opinion - I personally don't like playing courses that have graffiti, trash, busted up benches, etc. It impacts the whole experience.

It sounds like I need to start writing reviews. Reviews that include the important things like; hole descriptions, troublesome transition holes, water availability, bathroom access, and fairway maintenance. Even fairway maintenance is a stretch.

Not sure if my sarcasism detector is working correctly - do you think these things should or should not be included and considered when rating a course?

In a review I typically try to include "it's tough to navigate between hole X and X, do this" or other things I wish I had known before I played. I think good reviews are ones that help a player who's never played there decide if they want to play it, what the difficulty is, and how to get around. As to graffiti, vandalism and even fairway maintenance, I think these things should factor into a review. If the course is trashy and all the benches say "julie likes to ____ big____," I'm not going to want to take my kid with me to play. If the fairways are always overgrown because the park folks don't do a good job mowing, I'd like to know that too. I read reviews and typically either thumbs up or just keep moving, but any review that gives me good information and helps me decide if I want to play the course is a good review, whether I agree with the score or they liked the course or not.

Check the photos on the beaver course.
1f26b16e.jpg

snakes-whyd-it-have-to-be-snakes-thumb.jpg

@chalos13,
I see what you are saying. I wouldn't let the vandalism factor into a score though. I would put it in my review as a heads up but I don't think it should pertain to the disc golf course rating. It would be the same as someone rating mt Lebanon poorly because of the Jesus signs. That's just my opinion but I do understand yours.

@ knicez
It was a little bit of a dig. I do think those things need to be in a review. I'm on the fence about maintenance of the fairways. What if it is the only time I've been there and it is overrun? What if it didn't get mowed because of wet conditions and it is usually very well maintained? I would have to really consider if that should pertain to a rating if I didn't know the course well.

Sometimes if a course is not very good I don't bother to review it. In the case of Choctaw Lake there were no reviews for me to look at and no map and no guide listed. My review was to give info to someone who might go and have the same negative experience I had. If a course is not ready don't put it up on the site as ready.

Was thinking of hitting that course until I saw your review. Thanks for saving me the trip. Thumbs up on review warning.

Some reviews are asenine.

To be expected... since there are asinine people, there are bound to be asinine reviews. What does seem to be less common are lengthy asinine reviews. Idiots typically don't like to put forth much of an effort.

Last edited:
Home course cheerleaders are usually why I'll give a down vote. Some courses just aren't great, which isn't a bad thing, but because there's nothing else or nothing better around they'll get a inflated rating. It's not a big deal if I'm in the area already, however, if I'm going out of my way solely to play a specific course it's another matter. I don't like being let down just because some homer has nostalgia.

I would down-vote a review if it gave misleading or false information about a course. Otherwise, if someone gave a course an extreme rating without bothering to explain himself, that would also deserve a down-rating, because I don't want someone who does that to become a "trusted reviewer."

Was wondering why I got so many thumbsdown on my review for Trophy Lakes, Charleston, SC? Plz help me become a better reviewer.

Was wondering why I got so many thumbsdown on my review for Trophy Lakes, Charleston, SC? Plz help me become a better reviewer.

It's not that bad. I can't say what exactly what got you the downs. I wouldn't have downed it.

It could definitely use some more detail. Be more specific with observations. There isn't anything there that isn't in a lot of reviews for Trophy Lakes.

I'd also say not to talk about other reviews/reviewers.

Latest posts