• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Lack of integrity maybe?

The case with foot faults on putts is a bit different. If you're colluding with other players for an advantage (which is why this rule is in place) then someone will call a foot fault on you if you miss a putt and this rule won't apply. If no one calls it, then everyone is not calling penalties and that's the only time the rule would apply. So if you call someone out on not calling foot faults in this case then you'll be guilty of the same thing. The logic behind all of it is screwed up because there is an advantage to breaking the rule in some cases.

This is fixed by simply not calling the rule if the player doesn't get an advantage (they miss the putt). As someone else pointed out earlier it's more like declining a penalty in football. The opposite team may have broken the rules, but if the outcome is better for your team if the penalty is not called then it's illogical to enforce the rule.
But making decisions based on the football comparison is also breaking the rules.
F. A stance violation must be clearly called within three seconds after the infraction to be valid.
The 3 seconds rule is there so the person calling the infraction can't wait to see the outcome of the shot before deciding to call a foot fault or not.
That's not the case in football.

The 3 seconds rule is there so the person calling the infraction can't wait to see the outcome of the shot before deciding to call a foot fault or not.

It's also not the case for most putts, which is where this applies most of the time. Just because you only have three seconds to defer the penalty doesn't mean that analogy falls apart. Of course it isn't exactly like football. We also aren't playing the same sport.

I'm not arguing that the rule is good as is. It doesn't appear to be all that well thought out.

I think the 3 seconds rule was made with driving off the tee in mind, it should be shortened to 1 second for putts.

i played a turney round a couple of months ago with a guy playing his first tourney and he stepped through every putt he attempted regardless of distance, finally after about halfway through the round i let him know it was illegal inside of 10m, i suspected he wasnt trying to gain a competitive advantage by doing it and i was correct, he was completely unaware it was illegal...

This is like declining a penalty in football. It's perfectly acceptable for a team to not hold an opposing team to a penalty if it would provide another chance to succeed like repeating 3rd down 5 yards back when they otherwise would have to punt.

THIS. Case closed.
DSCJNKY

But making decisions based on the football comparison is also breaking the rules.

But there are referees in Football. Players on the other team don't get to offsides, false starts, etc....
DSCJNKY

But there are referees in Football. Players on the other team don't get to offsides, false starts, etc....
DSCJNKY
I know you just got here so I copied this for you. :)

Are you volunteering for this?

Jay Dub brings up an excellent point. Who really wants to spend their time sitting on one hole watching the groups coming thru all day making infraction calls? No one, that's who. That's why it would be important for the players to police themselves. For everyone that wants disc golf to be respected as much as bolf, how can it be without the players being held accountable to enforce their own rules? Outsiders, casual pedestrians, and innocent bystanders can easily get the wrong impression about how seriously we take our own sport by how little we adhere to the most basic of rules.

No re-putt for you!

I don't think that's a lack of integrity, at all.

I only have an issue if the rules are broken, and someone benefits from it.

The thing that gets me is calling foot faults to get another chance at a putt, or intentionally foot faulting once a round for free. :\
I missed a 10' putt once & was very upset about it (as you can imagine). My buddy calls out 'Foot-fault' (I dont think I foot-faulted so Im sure he was just trying to cheer me up). Somebody else in the group agrees & so they say I get to putt again! I had mixed feelings about it but was happy to try & redeem myself. I lined up my 2nd attempt but missed the putt again :wall: (Karma got me for being allowed to take another 10' gimme putt after missing one) haha

The difference between this and football: in football, the team declining the penalty is the only person affected. So if they want to decline the penalty, it is their own business. This is not the case with disc golf: other people are affected.

For example, say you are on top card in the final round. You see a guy on the bottom of your card foot fault, and think "meh- he's below me anyways and he missed the putt, so no skin off my back, and I don't want to call him on it because he is having a rough round anyways" and fail to call him. You see him do this a few other times in the round before you finally called him. You gave him a competitive advantage: perhaps, if you had been enforcing the foot rule he would've taken a penalty stroke or two. Or perhaps if you had been enforcing it he would've had to think more about their putting, and this would've costed him a missed putt or two. Sure, he is on the bottom of your card so it didn't effect you. But what about the guys on the lower cards? You screwed them over.

Players policing players is a doomed policy from the get go. Where's the precedent for this in the world of sports? I'm so concentrated on my game 99% of the time, I never look to see where someone's foot was in relation to their mini on a fairway shot, or to see if they are foot faulting on putts. It doesn't cross my mind to be the referee of my group, I have enough responsibility out there for my own game and trying to follow the rules myself. It is what it is, I get that, but I just think it's dumb.

Players policing players is a doomed policy from the get go. Where's the precedent for this in the world of sports? I'm so concentrated on my game 99% of the time, I never look to see where someone's foot was in relation to their mini on a fairway shot, or to see if they are foot faulting on putts. It doesn't cross my mind to be the referee of my group, I have enough responsibility out there for my own game and trying to follow the rules myself. It is what it is, I get that, but I just think it's dumb.

The precedent is from disc sports in general. Players judge each others' freestyle routines, time self caught flights, measure distance throws, and Ultimate is the ultimate self policing sport. No referees. "the spirit of the game"

Where's the precedent for this in the world of sports? ... It doesn't cross my mind to be the referee of my group, I have enough responsibility out there for my own game and trying to follow the rules myself.

what major sport doesn't have referee/officials? No one will police themselves. my job is to win and not have to pay attention to other players. period.

How about (ball) golf? Even in PGA Tour events (think our A-Tiers and above), there is not a rules official with every group, watching for penalties. You certainly don't get that at most school matches, club championships, city tournaments, leagues, outings (think our B / C Tiers and unsanctioned events). Players call penalties on themselves and alert other players if they witness infractions. Sure, there are officials available at the tournament, who can be called over to discuss and make rulings. Kind of like the PDGA requirements for a certified official at each tournament and/or course used.

Would you rather pay extra to hire officials to walk with every group?

Would you rather pay extra to hire officials to walk with every group?[/QUOTE said:
Im sure you could get folk to do it for free.

Regardless, you should get a penalty stoke for a foot fault. It shouldn't matter if an official or a player calling the foot fault according to the rules. foot fault = penalty stroke, then rethrow. I've called out friends during causal rounds but it was only to bust their balls in a fun way. no rethrows during causal and we'll have $$$ on the game

Ball golf you call yourself. There's integrity in that. Tennis you are calling in or out. Not foot faults on serves etc. The act of calling and seconding is just strange. I've never witnessed an infraction called and had it not be awkward or confrontational.

Latest posts