• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Leopard-Like Controlled Driver

PeterMonk

Birdie Member
Noobish Inquiry Alert:
So I just began in the last couple weeks to throw my Champ Leopard with decent control (i.e., basically flies where and how I intend it). This is good since the home course is mostly 300-325' holes. Nonetheless, the Leopard is straight to slightly understable for me. I would like to know of other options for a slower fairway driver.

The problem is that I got a DX Gazelle and Banshee and they were not true to their ratings (both more understable then expected :wall:). Do I try again until I find one that is true? Do I keep working on form until the Teebird flies as regular as the Leopard? Other options for great control discs for the 300'-325' range?

Stick with the leopard..... This trying to find a magic driver is a slippery slope that will only halt your progress and damage your form.

Trak, TL, Polaris, Cheetah, Stalker, Cyclone, Sabre... all those come to mind.

I would say Millennium Quantum JLS.

It's a speed 6, and a new one in the high 160's/low 170's will be plenty stable. Lots of control, lots of glide.

Trak, TL, Polaris, Cheetah, Stalker, Cyclone, Sabre... all those come to mind.

Here's a vote of confidence for a Trak. Love em! And this is coming from someone who has thrown leopards for years (and still does). I prefer my firm one, but the medium is great too. Not a huge fan of Vibram soft for anything but putters/middys.

EDIT- Also ^^^^QJLS!

There isn't a fairway driver much slower than a Leopard my friend, it is like a fast midrange in my opinion. I would keep throwing your Leo and your teebird, until you feel comfortable to move up in speed. That is a killer combo.

I know some people would disagree, but I would also throw out dx plastic if you are trying to find a disc that is consistent in it's flight, it will last longer and stay in that sweet spot that you can rely on, it will help you gain confidence in what the disc will do. You could upgrade to star plastic maybe?

If your Banshee and Gazelle were more understable than expected, I would say you need to work some more on your form. Neither should be understable at all.

Maybe a Banshee in Champion plastic would do the trick.

Icon Patriot kicked Leopards out of my bag. It's a fantastic disc for that understable, slower fairway driver.

DX can break in quick off a few tree smacks. I would say Star TL around 170. Little bit longer and straighter then a Leopard.

I have to agree with an above post, the Vibram Trak is great. I only had the Ascent for a long time and it worked really well. Overall the Trak is more versatile but when you pair the two midrange is covered.

I'd also suggest the Legacy Patriot.

My perspective is limited as I've played for just over a year (granted a 'live next to a course junkie-ass' glorious year) and intentionally limited myself to Legacy and Prodigy thinking that fewer discs would lead to fewer form-altering variables (and fewer discs to buy). This said, I'm often told the Patriot is derived from the Leopards, and I throw an Icon plastic, well-worn, max weight (175) Patriot for straight/flip shots at lower armspeed. Any slower and I'd reach for my M4.

Those are my two cents. Patriots are sweet.

You'd be amazed what a glow leopard can do, or the awesomeness of a pro line ($$$). I carry a pro line, old star, pre-barry champ, and glow. They all serve separate functions.

You should look into the MVP slow fairway class. Resistor- very over stable fairway driver. Servo- slightly over stable or neutral depending on weight and plastic. Switch- slightly under stable. Also the axiom Crave which slots in between the servo and switch.

proton plastic is like champion and is a bit more over stable than the neutron plastic

Last edited:
Tl, champ around 168-170, star tl 172ish. Vibram track in the firm, not medium. Same weight. I'd call the trak a longer leopard. Very similar, track slightly faster.

Or.. A river. Slightly faster and less overall stability by a little but it would keep your form tight. Recycled line or opto around 172, recycled line for a little more beef.

Patriots were great fliers when they flew right. Just seemed a little too touchy

Axiom Crave is incredible, shapes tons of lines and versatile. MVP Servo deserves an honorable mention also, more fade than the crave so its a little easier to range.

you really should rock a teebird/leo combo

it's wam bam thank you ma'am

leo for powered down drives/turn over/hyzer flip.

teebird for spikes/stable/S curves

there is a reason after so many years pro/ams alike still throw these molds.

if you feel you want to cover both roles with one mold I would suggest the discmania FD jackal. there are three variations of the mold currently that cover different shots.

Latest posts