• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

List your top 5 favorite courses

A) You lucky bastard!

B) This outsider's perspecitive:
Rounds Played: 2 (1 red, 1 white)
Fave Holes: 1, 5, 9, 10, 13, 15, 18.

HB's first nine holes might be the best front or back nine I've ever played... and that's with several of the best holes on the course being on the back nine. Some of the holes on the back nine aren't bad (#'s 12, 14, 16) ...but they simply aren't as interesting or inviting as the rest of the course.

Awesome! I usually play from the reds but occasionally from the whites. My favorite holes are 1 and 18, I love the integration of the creek on those holes. I really like the tee shot view for #10 but I really suck at it :)

Agree on the front nine being better than the back 9, if I'm on a time crunch I will often play 1-8 and then take a right to finish on #18 makes for a perfect outing until I donate a disc to the creek on #18.

Agree on the front nine being better than the back 9, if I'm on a time crunch I will often play 1-8 and then take a right to finish on #18 makes for a perfect outing until I donate a disc to the creek on #18.

If HB was just a niner with holes 1-8 + #18: 4.0, easy.

I'd have to look for reasons not to give it a 4.5... because those holes aren't nearly as prone to flooding as 10 -14.
I'd rather play those 9 holes twice, than pretty much any course I've awarded a 4.0 to.

Last edited:
Updated after playing the amazing Stoney Hill course in Newberry, SC! Wow!! :thmbup::clap:Two courses that have a similar feel but are definitely unique courses in their own rights. Privately owned course, you need to call ahead to play, but I will definitely be going back again since it is only a shade over 2 hours of driving to get there to play.

My big trips were crushed this year by COVID :thmbdown:, but I am hopeful for 2021. If so, I will end up playing Harmony Bends (3), Rollin Ridge (6), Idlewild (7), Bucksnort (8), Harmon Hills (9), Blue Ribbon Pines (12), Maple Hill (13), Highbridge Hills (14), Vision Quest (15), Muddy Run (16), Sabattus (17), Wildcat Bluff (19), and Smuggler's Notch (25).

Now, the updated top 5!

Blue Gill (Wayland, MI)
Stoney Hill (Newberry, SC)
Nevin (Charlotte, NC)
Langley Pond (Warrenville, SC)
Flip City (Shelby, MI

Updated again!

Blue Gill (Wayland, MI)
Nevin (Charlotte, NC)
Cedar Hill (Nashville, TN)
Flip City (Shelby, MI)
Langley Pond (Warrenville, SC)

I'm up to 185 courses (+75 from last year's post) in 8 states (+1).
I'd set Ashe County, Harmon Hills, and the IDGC/Augusta courses as my targets for 2020, and I managed to hit all of them, the first two pre-pandemic.
Who knows what 2021 will look like, but at the very least I'd like to visit some of Virginia's private courses (Lake Marshall, The Blockhouse, etc.), if they're available.

Anyway, my new top 5 as of 2020:

1. Harmon Hills - Fall Branch, TN
2. Mayflower Hills - Roanoke, VA
3. Panther Creek SP - Morristown, TN
4. Langley Pond - Burnettown, SC
5. Nevin - Charlotte, NC

Honorable mentions: Quaker's Challenge, Holston Creek, IDGC Jackson and Warner.

As of 110 courses played in 7 states in 3 years:

1. Mayflower Hills - Roanoke, VA
2. Panther Creek SP - Morristown, TN
3. Nevin - Charlotte, NC
4. Quaker's Challenge - Lewisberry, PA (new for 2019, thanks to Am Worlds)
5. Rock Ridge - Pittsboro, NC

Not sure how we feel about temp courses for lists like this, but if eligible I'd put Forest Hills (Durham, NC) up to the 3rd slot.

Top of the within-striking-distance wishlist: Ashe County (NC), Harmon Hills (TN), IDGC (GA)

Who knows what 2021 will look like, but at the very least I'd like to visit some of Virginia's private courses (Lake Marshall, The Blockhouse, etc.), if they're available.

Lake Marshall will be available, Blockhouse most likely will not. Hawk Hollow may be for a period in the Spring and will definitely be for a period in the Fall. Raptor's Roost is also in the general Spotsy area and is worth the look as well.

An update from 2016! Which at this point feels like a million years ago.

My Top 5 are:
1) Selah Ranch - Lakeside
2) Sugaree
3) Whippin' Post
4) Moraine State Park
5) Orange Crush

Nowadays my Top 5 courses are:
1) Harmony Bends
2) Selah Ranch - Lakeside
3) Sugaree
4) Idlewild
5) Whippin' Post

So, while it's been four years and lots of stellar courses played, the Top 5 retains 3/5.

Totally subjectively, Sugaree will always be my favorite course. There's no place quite like it. I've been watching the course updates from afar and am hopeful I'll make it back sometime in 2021!

I had some injuries slow me down over the past few years as well as had some other hobbies take my attention (we're on a camping / kayaking binge recently), so the notches in the courses played belt don't accumulate quite as quickly these days, but still discing when I can especially now that it's cooled off here in Louisiana. Need to get more use out of my DGCR Travel Tag!

I don't know how I'd even come up with my top 5 in WI, but let's give it a shot.

1. Highbridge Hills-The Bear
2. Whippin Post
3. Flip City
4. Harmony Bends
5. Highbridge Hills-Blueberry

Could be completely different tomorrow. In fact I know it would be. I'm doubting my picks as I type this. :\

I'm up to 311 courses (+85 in the never-ending 2020). Picking favorites is tough, but I asked myself "If you could go play a course right NOW, which would you choose?"

Top Five Favorite courses:

1. Idlewild in Burlington, Ky.
2. Little Mulberry in Dacula, Ga.
3. Harmony Bends in Columbia, Mo.
4. North Georgia Canopy Tours in Lula, Ga.
5. Warriors Path in Kingsport, Tenn.

Top Five Favorite "New" Courses in 2020:

1. Parker's Pasture in Covington, GA
2. Green Valley DGC in Griffin, GA
3. V-Rock DGC in Owens Cross Roads, AL
4. Grand Central Station in Central, SC
5. Holston Creek Park in Inman, SC

Delaveaga
Bucksnort
Flip City
Flyboy
Stafford Lake
Las Vegas Ski & Snowboard Resort DGC
Sandy Point Resort DG Ranch
Moraine State Park

Delaveaga
Bucksnort
Flip City
Flyboy
Stafford Lake
Las Vegas Ski & Snowboard Resort DGC
Sandy Point Resort DG Ranch
Moraine State Park

Sandy Point over Moraine?

Interesting.

I freaking love Sandy Point though. Played it again last August for the first time in 7 years.

As of right now.

1) Jarva
2) Wilderness DGC (Montello, Wi)
3) BRP
4) Rollin' Ridge
5) Pick one; Brickeberg, Big Eau Pleine, Pickard Park, Toronto Island

I'm going to be playing Idlewild, as well as other top rated courses in 2021, so this will probably look completely different next year. But I don't see Jarva being bumped, though part of that may be me wishing I could go back to Sweden to play it again.

Last edited:
I'm up to 185 courses (+75 from last year's post) in 8 states (+1).
I'd set Ashe County, Harmon Hills, and the IDGC/Augusta courses as my targets for 2020, and I managed to hit all of them, the first two pre-pandemic.

Anyway, my new top 5 as of 2020:

1. Harmon Hills - Fall Branch, TN
2. Mayflower Hills - Roanoke, VA
3. Panther Creek SP - Morristown, TN
4. Langley Pond - Burnettown, SC
5. Nevin - Charlotte, NC

Honorable mentions: Quaker's Challenge, Holston Creek, IDGC Jackson and Warner.

took a roadtrip a month ago with some buddies and played, Mayflower, Langley and Nevin.

Mayflower is one of the most beautiful courses i have played, i thought Langley was better than all the IDGC courses and IDGC is pretty awesome, and Nevin is now one of my favorite courses.

Sandy Point over Moraine?

Interesting.

I freaking love Sandy Point though. Played it again last August for the first time in 7 years.

As of yesterday, yes...but it was this/close.

It was difficult for me to narrow it down to just those 8! :wall:

I left off so many awesome courses like Iron Hill, Idlewild, Selah Ranch-Creekside, Rollin Ridge, Sloterpark, Dellwood, Coyote Point, Beaver Ranch.....

Sadly, for the first year since I started playing, my personal top 5 didn't change.
Still Idlewild, Rollin Ridge, Hobbs, Jackson and Flyboy

My favorite 5 played for the first time this year.
1. Grand Central (Central, SC)
2. JP Moseley (Stockbridge, GA)
3. Jefferson Barracks (St. Louis, MO)
4. Athens Regional (Athens, TN)
5. Morningside (Knoxville, TN)

1) Kincaid Park (AK)

The others in no specific order :
Harmon Hills (TN)
Stoney Hill (SC)
Jim Warner Memorial (GA)
Skyline Wilderness (CA)

5 on the bubble:

Panther Creek (TN)
Blue Mountain (MT)
Moose Pretzel (AK)
Maiko Snow Resort(temp Japan Nationals course)
Renny Gold (NC)

On New Year's Day 2020, I had played a total of 12 courses. Now I've bagged 116, and the top five is accordingly all new. My list:
IDGC - WR Jackson Memorial (Appling, GA)
Harmon Hills (Fall Branch, TN)
Hobbs Farm Park (Carrollton, GA)
Hornets' Nest Park (Charlotte, NC)
Brazos Park East (Waco, TX)

Best 5

I rank based on both the quality of the course as well as fun factor playing...only one change this year, the course on the island is new...it may be the most enjoyable (but not the best) course I've played...I hit Idlewild this year as well for the first time but it just misses the top 5...

1. Harmony Bends
2. Iron Hill
3. Nantucket Disc Golf
4. Deer Lakes
5. Brewster Ridge

Almost top 5...

6. Hornets Nest
7. Moraine
8. Maple Hill
9. Idlewild
10. Muddy Run
11. Renny Gold
12. Northwood Gold

in no particular order:
Farragut
Blue Mountain
Camp Sekani Jamboree
Lucky Mud DGC
I didn't have enough time & the lady was with me, so I didn't get to play all of the courses (just canyon), but I'm sure Horning's Hideout would make this list if I could have played all 3 courses.
guess i revise this every 3yrs. a top 5 is hard to choose, so really my favorites are here.
i'll choose a different 5 for my current list :
Caliber
SpiritWood
Lake Walcott
Adair Park
Lander Ridge

Latest posts