• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Live Coverage Came "Of Age"

Really hopeful they'll start getting events that happened "recently" onto the slate. Maybe within a week or two of live? Maybe next year. I assume there's something in the DGN or third-party post-produced teams contracts preventing it this year?

Nope. Nothing. It just takes a few weeks to produce a show like this. Maybe once they have a good template down it can be sped up. But it doesn't have to do with contracts.

*sigh*

So what's my new hobby going to be? I basically chose disc golf 25ish years ago because it had no chance of ever becoming anything other than hippies and rednecks in the park with some Frisbees and a 12-pack of Natty Light, which is pretty much my comfort zone. If it's actually going to make the big-time, it's time for me to bail. :|

tl;dr: Thanks a lot, James. :mad:

As Ru4 said, there still a ways to go.

But if you wanna see just how far it's come...

My, how the music's improved. ;)
Sorry I know this is a bit of a backtrack but:

12:50 when they zoom into the ankle tattoo's of the competitor they're interviewing, that's the kind of coverage we need to see more of on Jomez :D

*sigh*

So what's my new hobby going to be? I basically chose disc golf 25ish years ago because it had no chance of ever becoming anything other than hippies and rednecks in the park with some Frisbees and a 12-pack of Natty Light, which is pretty much my comfort zone. If it's actually going to make the big-time, it's time for me to bail. :|

tl;dr: Thanks a lot, James. :mad:
I was all set to convert to Evangelical Condradism until I read this post.

James Conrad is going to ruin the DGCR baseball thread. :thmbdown::thmbdown::thmbdown:

Sorry I know this is a bit of a backtrack but:

12:50 when they zoom into the ankle tattoo's of the competitor they're interviewing, that's the kind of coverage we need to see more of on Jomez :D

While we're at it bring back Billy Crump and Crazy John Brooks

To be clear. I don't mind "overstable mid" or "fairway driver". I would avoid the free advertisement of sponsors specific models. And we all know that Ricky has 5 different destroyers. What is the point of telling someone he is throwing a destroyer when they all do completely different things. And none of them are probably working that way for the viewer anyway.

And many times during live it involves our guys guessing as to what the disc is based on it's color. How many times do you hear Ian say, "I THINK that is..." And Ian is great and has a list of most of their discs, he would know more than ANYONE else. It just adds another level of people being wrong about things and future awkward convos that will have to be had with sponsors.

I have to agree with Ryan P that the disc being thrown is valuable information to me and makes my viewing experience better. I noticed Jomez has recently added a graphic showing the disc selection off the tee and was VERY PLEASED with the addition. I understand post pro video is a different animal from Live coverage and can see how it would be harder to incorporate such info, but the value the info brings to viewers is there.

I hate to use the ball golf comparison BUT notice every shot in a ball golf presentation has the commentators speaking to the specific club being used - to use your argument - "what is the point of telling someone he is using [XYZ]...none of them are working that way for the viewer anyway"? There must be some interest in the specific selection.

I agree that I am not throwing discs the same way MPO players are but to some extent the discs and shots the women are throwing may translate to my game - so i absolutely may benefit by knowing what they threw.

If Ricky throws 5 destroyers and they are all different - well that's actually really interesting to me. Maybe interesting enough I will be compelled to watch more. Isn't the overall goal to get more people to watch more?

Lastly, the 'free advertising' excuse is something I just cannot wrap my lizard brain around.
(1) is it still free advertising if a disc is identified right before it is thrown horribly?
(2) arent sponsors sponsoring players so they can throw the sponsor's disc and give the disc some recognition - wouldnt identifying the discs help the sponsors get what they are already paying for?
(3) if it is not taking up additional time (like an advertisement) and is merely mentioned or shown in a graphic then what necessitates companies paying for this in order to make it not free advertising?

I see the effort involved in getting disc ID's is not insignificant and should be compensated but i cannot see why that compensation is not taken from the subs or whatever money it takes to do the show altogether. If the argument is that disc ID's cant be shown because its free advertising then the only solution is manufacturer's to pay in some way to have their discs ID'd or just not ID the discs altogether which doesnt sit right for some reason.

While we're at it bring back Billy Crump and Crazy John Brooks
Loved hearing some Crump references in the last round of Worlds from Jomez.

"He had the furtherance, but not the tortorance."

I have to agree with Ryan P that the disc being thrown is valuable information to me and makes my viewing experience better. I noticed Jomez has recently added a graphic showing the disc selection off the tee and was VERY PLEASED with the addition. I understand post pro video is a different animal from Live coverage and can see how it would be harder to incorporate such info, but the value the info brings to viewers is there.

I hate to use the ball golf comparison BUT notice every shot in a ball golf presentation has the commentators speaking to the specific club being used - to use your argument - "what is the point of telling someone he is using [XYZ]...none of them are working that way for the viewer anyway"? There must be some interest in the specific selection.

I agree that I am not throwing discs the same way MPO players are but to some extent the discs and shots the women are throwing may translate to my game - so i absolutely may benefit by knowing what they threw.

If Ricky throws 5 destroyers and they are all different - well that's actually really interesting to me. Maybe interesting enough I will be compelled to watch more. Isn't the overall goal to get more people to watch more?

Lastly, the 'free advertising' excuse is something I just cannot wrap my lizard brain around.
(1) is it still free advertising if a disc is identified right before it is thrown horribly?
(2) arent sponsors sponsoring players so they can throw the sponsor's disc and give the disc some recognition - wouldnt identifying the discs help the sponsors get what they are already paying for?
(3) if it is not taking up additional time (like an advertisement) and is merely mentioned or shown in a graphic then what necessitates companies paying for this in order to make it not free advertising?

I see the effort involved in getting disc ID's is not insignificant and should be compensated but i cannot see why that compensation is not taken from the subs or whatever money it takes to do the show altogether. If the argument is that disc ID's cant be shown because its free advertising then the only solution is manufacturer's to pay in some way to have their discs ID'd or just not ID the discs altogether which doesnt sit right for some reason.

IMO it isn't the DGPT/DGNs job to promote manufacturers that are not already supporting the DGPT. I have said this before, I have been on numerous emails with manufacturers that were bent out of shape that other discs were mentioned "more" than theirs. And they were the presenting sponsor. blah blah blah. How does it look if we ONLY talk about one manufacturer or only ones that are supporters of the DGN?

Traditional golf just says the club. 3 wood. They don't break down that it is a Titleist Big Bertha... whatever. And that is the line that I personally would like to keep it at. "A stable fairway driver."

There are exceptions to this rule. If a player is heavily relying on a disc for a LOT of shots, maybe you bring that up in a storyline. Or it is failing them whenever they go to it. Etc. But for me, calling out Ricky throwing a Pig on a 250 foot approach isn't important most of the time.

I think it's interest to hear what disc they are throwing. There are a lot of brands I'm not familiar with, so it's kind of a plus.

Of course, I can't get the same flight as the pros, but I still like it when the disc is mentioned.

It is a free plug. I think that is a what comes around goes around deal. More discs sold means more ad dollars.

Regarding the OP—big hats off to the media crews for delivering the content.

Fortunate that it was such an exciting event for 5 days and thanks to DGN, we got to witness it.

To be clear. I don't mind "overstable mid" or "fairway driver". I would avoid the free advertisement of sponsors specific models. And we all know that Ricky has 5 different destroyers. What is the point of telling someone he is throwing a destroyer when they all do completely different things. And none of them are probably working that way for the viewer anyway.

And many times during live it involves our guys guessing as to what the disc is based on it's color. How many times do you hear Ian say, "I THINK that is..." And Ian is great and has a list of most of their discs, he would know more than ANYONE else. It just adds another level of people being wrong about things and future awkward convos that will have to be had with sponsors.

I'd still love the attempt. Even if Ian says "Ricky has a <<insert color here>> disc, which is either an overstable mid or an overstable fairway," that helps a lot. There are ways to be factual when you don't know and they can still come across clearly on the broadcast. Saying "I think ..." isn't the best, but Ian can stick to the facts (isn't that the goal of a play-by-play guy?) and still communicate good information. Part of what makes Ian so good is that he's great at communicating facts in a way that jives with Philo. When he gets off the fact train is when he does worse.

I should also say this: I see you, the commentators, and everyone else growing as they gain experience and listen to feedback. Coverage gets noticeably better every year, and I'm pumped to think about where it's going. Thanks for your hard work.

I'd still love the attempt. Even if Ian says "Ricky has a <<insert color here>> disc, which is either an overstable mid or an overstable fairway," that helps a lot. There are ways to be factual when you don't know and they can still come across clearly on the broadcast. Saying "I think ..." isn't the best, but Ian can stick to the facts (isn't that the goal of a play-by-play guy?) and still communicate good information. Part of what makes Ian so good is that he's great at communicating facts in a way that jives with Philo. When he gets off the fact train is when he does worse.

I should also say this: I see you, the commentators, and everyone else growing as they gain experience and listen to feedback. Coverage gets noticeably better every year, and I'm pumped to think about where it's going. Thanks for your hard work.

Thanks for the kudos. And to think, just a few short years ago, people (some on this board) were telling us to pack it up because we weren't perfect. They said we were literally HURTING the sport. Their thought was if it can't be excellent quality, don't bother trying. Instead we kept refining and adding. And then the DGPT got some significant financial backing to add to the production.

We live in exciting times for DG. And I can't wait for the next few years.