• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Lloyd Weema article in Ultiworld Disc Golf

At Eureka, I wouldn't think he really takes all that much more time than the average player but at Northwoods, I can imagine him taking 3x the amount of time hacking his way thru those woods looking for errant shots.

I guess it really comes down to is how is he bad? Does he just throw 150ft noob hyzers? Or does he throw 250-300ft but has no control over where its going?...

Or is he really really bad at Putting? Like getting a 4+ on every single putt attempt.

You are incorrect on why the USGA and PGA have qualifying standards. It has nothing to do with money/field size and everything to do with protecting the players. here's a good piece on US Open qualifying bans. https://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/page/USOpen-Reilly/bad-lies-us-open-qualifying

That may be the story they give now, but that column is hardly proof that that was the original reason they instituted the qualifying bans 100 years ago or whenever it was. Unless you can produce something that proves the rationale you're arguing was indeed the primary reason they set up the qualifying criteria, I'm not buying it.

re: Volunteering touring pros:

There was a tournament where McBeth had to do some course work the day before and people went nuts over that. Poor Paul got his hands dirty.

Another tournament when the winner stayed to help with course clean up and there was an article about it on some disc golf publication. People were saying how great this was and should happen more often.

Now in this thread I'm being told they all do it. What an amazing turn around. :confused:

Did I pull all of that out of my ass also?

btw, giving a clinic is nothing compared to 3-12 months of work preparing to run or help out on a tournament while getting nothing in return.

If the touring pros are doing a lot of volunteer work why aren't we seeing or hearing about it more? I would think that's something you want others to know because of, well you know, grow the sport and all. :rolleyes:

I waited so long to reply to this because I was working, yanno, at my job. Some people on this board need to try that sometime.

I've seen a number of references to ball golf's US Open and the USGA's qualifying standard. The handicap index of 1.4 or less only applies to amateurs. Any professional can enter. So, if people are using the USGA's example to support the PDGA's decision, their issue should be how a player of Lloyd's caliber is allowed to be registered as a professional.

re: Volunteering touring pros:

There was a tournament where McBeth had to do some course work the day before and people went nuts over that. Poor Paul got his hands dirty.

Another tournament when the winner stayed to help with course clean up and there was an article about it on some disc golf publication. People were saying how great this was and should happen more often.

Now in this thread I'm being told they all do it. What an amazing turn around. :confused:

Did I pull all of that out of my ass also?

btw, giving a clinic is nothing compared to 3-12 months of work preparing to run or help out on a tournament while getting nothing in return.

If the touring pros are doing a lot of volunteer work why aren't we seeing or hearing about it more? I would think that's something you want others to know because of, well you know, grow the sport and all. :rolleyes:

I waited so long to reply to this because I was working, yanno, at my job. Some people on this board need to try that sometime.
I mean you get into the give and take thing.

For me I've TD'ed tourneys and ran leagues, found sponsors and donated prizes, showed up on work days and cleared courses, designed temp courses and showed up before the sun was up to set out baskets, run a kids program to teach disc golf...I given a lot. I really haven't received much in the way of anything tangible in return, so I get to be in the "giver" category.

Now a touring pro had to practice more, focus on their own success to play better, and their hope is to win prize money and take that resource out of the game and put it in their pocket. By the very definition of what they do, they are in the "taker" category.

I don't think you can ever get around that. Paul McBeth can't volunteer for enough work days to even out what he has "taken" from the sport if that is how you are defining it.

In an alternate view, Paul McBeth does more for the sport by being Paul McBeth than a whole army of small-time local volunteers like I have been could do. He gets youtube views, he gets on ESPN, he drives disc sales...just by the act of being him he promotes the sport in ways a small-time local volunteer can't.

Plus I've done what I've done knowing I wasn't getting anything tangible in return and that was never the goal. It doesn't really matter how much I've volunteered to the game, I decided to do that. Other people have decided to do more, and I respect those people, but I don't own them anything. Just like someone who has volunteered less than me doesn't owe me anything.

So touring pros take resources out of the sport that others put into the sport. That's the deal. That's what having touring pros is. The people putting those resources in are OK with that or they wouldn't do it. It's the deal we make.

I've seen a number of references to ball golf's US Open and the USGA's qualifying standard. The handicap index of 1.4 or less only applies to amateurs. Any professional can enter. So, if people are using the USGA's example to support the PDGA's decision, their issue should be how a player of Lloyd's caliber is allowed to be registered as a professional.

He would still have to go thru local, sectional and regional qualifiers... I think the mention of the handicap standard is because Weema is worse than a lot of AMs and is only a "pro" because he paid an extra $25 to be one...

I think this 900 rating rule is a step like the two top tier tours are like the top tour in other sports and competitions, even :sick:Corn Hole:sick: that have a way to qualify for the top tour. You need to qualify to get in to play, this just makes it so the low cash guy is 900 to about 935-950 for these 25-26 events. There are other top events that all Pro players can play that are run almost as well as a NT event with some like the Minnesota Majestic being a former event on the NT. PT events are of a different level and as of up to this year have some side things with the tour like the disc vendor/disc trade booth that travels with the PT.

Last edited:
He would still have to go thru local, sectional and regional qualifiers... I think the mention of the handicap standard is because Weema is worse than a lot of AMs and is only a "pro" because he paid an extra $25 to be one...

Yep, understood about the qualifiers. My point is that he would still be eligible to qualify for their biggest championship by virtue of being considered a professional by the organizing body and its partners.

I think this 900 rating rule is a step like the two top tier tours are like the top tour in other sports and competitions, even :sick:Corn Hole:sick: that have a way to qualify for the top tour. You need to qualify to get in to play, this just makes it so the low cash guy is 900 to about 935-950 for these 25-26 events. There are other top events that all Pro players can play that are run almost as well as a NT event with some like the Minnesota Majestic being a former event on the NT. PT events are of a different level and as of up to this year have some side things with the tour like the disc vendor/disc trade booth that travels with the PT.

Low should be no. :eek:

I mean you get into the give and take thing.

For me I've TD'ed tourneys and ran leagues, found sponsors and donated prizes, showed up on work days and cleared courses, designed temp courses and showed up before the sun was up to set out baskets, run a kids program to teach disc golf...I given a lot. I really haven't received much in the way of anything tangible in return, so I get to be in the "giver" category.

Now a touring pro had to practice more, focus on their own success to play better, and their hope is to win prize money and take that resource out of the game and put it in their pocket. By the very definition of what they do, they are in the "taker" category.

I don't think you can ever get around that. Paul McBeth can't volunteer for enough work days to even out what he has "taken" from the sport if that is how you are defining it.

In an alternate view, Paul McBeth does more for the sport by being Paul McBeth than a whole army of small-time local volunteers like I have been could do. He gets youtube views, he gets on ESPN, he drives disc sales...just by the act of being him he promotes the sport in ways a small-time local volunteer can't.

Plus I've done what I've done knowing I wasn't getting anything tangible in return and that was never the goal. It doesn't really matter how much I've volunteered to the game, I decided to do that. Other people have decided to do more, and I respect those people, but I don't own them anything. Just like someone who has volunteered less than me doesn't owe me anything.

So touring pros take resources out of the sport that others put into the sport. That's the deal. That's what having touring pros is. The people putting those resources in are OK with that or they wouldn't do it. It's the deal we make.

Shush, you!!
You make a good point about McBeth.
Your post explains a reason why they shouldn't be expected to volunteer, my post was in response to those in this thread who claim they already do. :)

Actually, it was you who claimed they didn't, without any evidence, to make a point about how they are spoiled. It was unnecessary.

Actually, it was you who claimed they didn't, without any evidence, to make a point about how they are spoiled. It was unnecessary.

Can you read? I know it was me who claimed they didn't. I posted my reasons for what I said. It's what Threeputt replied to. :wall:

I don't expect touring pros to volunteer more than a clinic or tourney promotion. I'd hope local pros volunteer when a big tourney comes to town, out of a sense of local pride if nothing else.

in regards to making events less and less inclusive

I feel like World's lost something when it became a smaller and more exclusive event

If at all possible I think the event should be a really enormous as big as possible event with all divisions and upwards to over 1,000 players

If you want to sell DG as an economic power you need numbers of feet on the ground and butts in restaraunts, hotels etc.

going smaller is not only less fun but its just dumb watching 4 guys with minimal gallery
I will get killed for my opinion but I just feel like having the divisions in separate locales and limited numbers makes us look small and it's embaressing

MY solution would be too have a Super Worlds every 4 years at a venue and organizers that can handle it.....it would also allow players to plan on a huge vacation every 4 years to the greatest disc golf week on the planet every 4 yrs

FREE Lloyd!

I am on a plane waiting to leave Augusta so I can try to explain more later. But I will say that there were several touring players in the room that spoke heavily in favor of this change. In addition the touring pros in the room literally applauded the vote as soon as the roll call was announced. This is a move to make things more professional for our touring players and this was supported by PDGA staff and the BOD. This:

-Avoids situations where touring players play with novice rated players who throw shots that slow down the group enough to cause touring pros to lose focus. Imagine a wooded course such as WR Jackson and an 850 rated player playing that course. The group would spend considerable time looking for discs in the woods.
-Avoids situations where lower rated players are playing courses simply not suitable for their talent level. For example, a sub 900 rated player most likely cannot carry the water on several shots at Eureka. The same could be said for Fountain Hills Hole #1.
-Makes sure that people who can compete to cash in these events are allowed to play. Let's not forget that several Elite events fill up every year (Ledgestone, Idlewild, BSF, Santa Cruz, GBO, etc)

The last point is probably the most important. Many top level events are now filling up and some of them fill up months in advance. Having sub 900 rated players take the spots of touring pros is not acceptable. Yes, there is tiered registration. Sometimes touring pros simply don't have the money to pay for the entry at that time. This gives a few more opportunities to avoid those situations.

If a touring pro can't pay for their entry fee when registration is open for them, I feel absolutely no sorrow for them.

It's how they choose to make their living.

I guess I'll just tell the power company I can't pay my bill since I don't have the money at the time it's due.

Pro Disc Golf is laughable sometimes when they give their reasoning behind decisions.

A membership funded organization, primarily funded by amateurs and lower level pros, is making decisions to protect the upper echelon of touring pros.

Who do they actually represent these days?

Nate has gone on record to say that one of the most important reasons is because some of the touring pros couldn't be bothered to save enough money to pay entry fees to the biggest events of the year during their protected registration period.

We obviously see TD's and Manufacturers adding more cash to purses these days, which is great, but the top pros sure didn't mind when the lower level guys were padding the purse for them.

Grow the sport from a top down model guys.

No one competing for a prestigious championship should have to compete along with someone with a recreational level game. It really is that simple. There is no "right" to experience elite level competition for people who are in no way elite. The people getting all butt hurt are the problem with the game. You folks just aren't thinking clearly. Probably the same people that don't think leagues should have any precedence over their right to play exactly when they want.

The answer to all of this of course, is to hold golf-style pro-ams before each of the big tourneys. Then those who want the 'experience" of playing with a top pro can get their satisfaction.

Wow, you are out of touch.

If you are playing on a public course, then yes leagues don't get any precedence over other players who want to use the course at that time.

Harbin CCS?

No. It was actually in Chattanooga on a mountain during freezing rain. I went to walmart at lunch to get dry clothes as I was not prepared. I actually got booed when my name was announced cashing. I've found the disc golf culture down south to be very cliquish.