• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Longer Comet?

onemilemore

* Ace Member *
So I took the advice of many on these forums and picked up an Elite-X Comet to work on my form. It works just as advertised: When I torqued it, it turned and burned. But when I slowed down, got a clean reach back and a smooth release, it was money straight. I love it.

But the biggest surprise about this disc was the glide...Wow! I was overshooting some shorter holes at my local course.

I really feel like working with the Comet is going to be excellent for my game. It is forcing me to smooth everything out on my drives.

My question is this: Is there a longer disc out there that behaves like a Comet in regards to form sensitivity and glide? I plan to use the Comet for most holes, but there are a couple long ones that I would like a little more distance from. If I can find a disc that is just as form sensitive, I think it will help me be more consistent in the long run.

I am finding that my Leos and Teebirds will mask some of my form flaws. Any suggestions on drivers, preferably Speed 9 or lower, would be great. I am not brand loyal.

Thanks in advance!

When you start getting into drivers you're just not going to get the same glide or sensitivity. You could try something like a cyclone or cheetah that's a fairly neutral slower driver.

A Millenium JLS flies similarly, but faster, IIRC, but I am not sure about the form stuff. I believe that in general, the slower stuff shows form flaws better than a driver.

start releasing the comet on a hyzer with power and it will flip flat and glide. comets can get out to 350 if thrown a certain way. another disc to try though might be a discraft glide. its glidey and understable with a similar feel to the comet. it might be what you are looking for.

you could try something like a PMD2 or Mako... they'll be a bit faster than the Comet but not really much.

the Impact is a disc that when thrown smooth goes really straight but once it beats in a bit it gets very sensitive and needs good form to be thrown with power. i'd start there and the cheetah is a good suggestion as well.

What about a leopard? It is not going t turn and burn when you throw it wrong but it is a nice disc that will do whatever you want it to do

I use the Squall for that slot.
Although, it's still a mid and not a driver,
Nose sensitive and longer than the comet.

Second the Impact, or if you want something that just goes how you throw it, with lots of glide and distance, get a River.

The discraft eclipse would be the step up. Its an old school driver.
There are other sharper winged suggestions but i doubt youll get much difference in them from your leo.

Though i feel the eclipse is more comet like than the other suggestions youll get, my true suggestion is to continue to master the comet, specificly the h flip.
Once youre good with the comet, the cyclone will treat you well. I suggested the eclipse over the clone b/c of your request; the clone and comet dont fly on the same line but they have a lot in common. They both like height, more snap than speed, and are super versitile. Ron Russell won a world title with only a magnet, comet, cyclone combo. Ive personally seen the clone thrown well over 400, with the thrower claiming other 500 throws.

The river is a straight flyer with lots of glide but its basiclly a faster leo. Between your tl and leo, i dont see it offering much more for you.

Stick with the Leopard and Comet.

How far are you throwing your Comet? You can also always get a heavy Z or ESP that will be considerably more overstable, that you can likely put a little more muscle into and thusly get a good bit more distance.

I believe the glide was an attempt by discraft to make a longer comet. I've only thrown one once or twice and had a buddy who used one for a bit. It was similar to the comet but didn't have that mystical comet float to it.

When you start getting into drivers you're just not going to get the same glide or sensitivity. You could try something like a cyclone or cheetah that's a fairly neutral slower driver.

This because the cylcone will tell you more about your form than most drivers. When your throw is bad it will only go a little farther than your comet. When your form is on it will bang out there like any other fairway disc. It also requires a clean smooth throw and will help you to start spin snapping some discs.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I am definitely more looking for something that rewards form and penalizes lack thereof. Will any of these suggestions, especially the Eclipse, Cyclone, or Glide, do this? Or the River? (GL plastic = sexy.)

I normally suck at hyzer flips, but I did try one with the Comet today, and it flipped up and glided straight real nicely. Maybe I will just invest in some more Comets for field practice.

This because the cylcone will tell you more about your form than most drivers. When your throw is bad it will only go a little farther than your comet. When your form is on it will bang out there like any other fairway disc. It also requires a clean smooth throw and will help you to start spin snapping some discs.

I was clearly typing my last post when cfair answered my question in it. Thanks!