• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Lost disc / found disc problem - wrong #

bazillion

Double Eagle Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
This is probably a dead issue, but what do you do when you find a disc that's got a phone number on the back and when you call it, it's disconnected or otherwise wrong?

Same issue from the other end: Have you ever had a disc returned despite your number on the back being disconnected or wrong? (Forwarding messages expire after a while; cell phone forwarding messages do not exist AFAIK.)

Or, what if anything can be done to maximize your chances of getting a disc returned despite changing locations,phone numbers, etc.?

If I know the person, get it to them or someone they know at league.

I use my email address instead of a phone #.

I feel bad for keeping the disc with a number on it, but if you don't update your number or cannot write legibly enough to get a return call well then I can't do my job. It seems like I have had more discs with this problem that I actually get answers for.

A disc with outdated contact information is the same as one with no contact information. You did the moral thing and tried to contact the guy. Enjoy your new disc.

I always make it imperative to put my CURRENT phone number on a disc. If I were to change numbers, I would update this on every disc in my bag. I were to somehow get an old disc back with an old number, its safe to say that it was probably lost a long time and I've long since replaced it.

You're not a DG detective (are you!?). When it becomes work it becomes yours IMO.

I mean, I will do simple stuff like post the name from the disc on the local board or look up a PDGA number, but I am not going to go super-sleuthing around the internet looking for a ghost.

If the number doesn't work, I would try to do a search on PDGA for their name or if they wrote their PDGA number. Maybe I'd be able to find out some info that way. If that doesn't work and I don't recognize the name, I would just keep it. Of course, if during play in the area, I run into them or see their name on a tournament list I am attending, I would return the disc without hesitation.

I figure, give it an honest try. If it doesn't pan out, then it's a keeper. We found two discs this weekend. I've called both and received a response from one. If they second guy doesn't call back, then there isn't much else I can do considering he only wrote his first name on the disc.

keep it. you tried, which is more than most people do. Consider it a gift from the DG gods. A gift that you sure to return at one point in the future with a disc of your own.

Do you have to write your info on the bottom? Is the inner rim okay? I like that email idea! I just think a bunch of marker looks crappy.

Do you have to write your info on the bottom? Is the inner rim okay? I like that email idea! I just think a bunch of marker looks crappy.
Write it on the inner rim. You may have to re-do it once and a while. But when you or I get ready to put some dye to it, There won't be anything in the way on the face of the disc.

Rim writer

I used to write my name & phone number (with area code) in big letters all over the disc. I did it that way so I would know my disc from somebody else's (I once picked up another guy's disc & he freaked out). I dont lose discs nearly as often as I used to so now so I just write my info on the inside rim & include my PDGA number. This makes it easier to give away to a friend or to the guy who finds my lost disc & doesn't want to call me.:rolleyes:

If I know the person, get it to them or someone they know at league.

I use my email address instead of a phone #.

That is a great idea. That way, if you lose it and you move, you more often can keep your email address than a phone number.

I also like the rim idea. Probably look a little neater than across the bottom of the disc.

I post my PDGA # on the disc. That way if someone does find it, they can contact the PDGA and in return they can get ahold of me, by email, phone, etc.

Don't want some random crazy stalker getting my phone number.....:D

I also use my email on the inside rim of the disc. I thought about putting my phone number, but decided that could change where as my email hasn't for years.

Latest posts