• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Marking the Basket

i agree it's douche-y to sign a basket after an ace.

which begs the question.... there's got to be some coating to put on to basket number plates that'd prevent that: teflon or scotch-guard?

I consider a lot of things eyesores, graffiti not being one of them, yet I don't waste my anger on being forced to look at things like god awful advertisements strewn all over every major sporting venue and along every street. I glaze over it and go on with my day.

If I had it my way every surface would have art and design. And I'm sure there are plenty of people that if they had it their way ever surface would be clean and blank. But its not up to me and its not up to them and all of our aesthetic opinions are valid but none are paramount to the rest.

I did some adding a little while ago, and figured that I'd thrown from roughly 7000 teeboxes before I finally got to write my name on a basket (#8 circle c) If that hurts or affects the basket; SORRY BOUT YA!!! I clean up trash and help make sure that my course stays nice. My sharpie doesn't hurt!

I did some adding a little while ago, and figured that I'd thrown from roughly 7000 teeboxes before I finally got to write my name on a basket (#8 circle c) If that hurts or affects the basket; SORRY BOUT YA!!! I clean up trash and help make sure that my course stays nice. My sharpie doesn't hurt!

I'm not sure how much you've played really helps your case here, in fact it makes you look worse that you've played that much and still don't realize that it's wrong to vandalize a course. Good for you that you do other things to keep the course clean, I wish everybody did, but that doesn't make it ok to use the course as your own personal trophy case. FWIW, I've played from 12,038 tee boxes, and haven't felt the need to sign any of the 7 baskets I've hit aces on...

somebody already beat you to that joke...

Not really a joke, its true.

To put it back in the public context, lets say someone spraypaints something on the road in front of your house, are you cool with that?

Guess what? Nobody cares about your ace but you. Stick to marking up your own stuff. The disc you did it with is a good alternative.

I have to admit I was a little surprised by all the hate on this thread. I totally agree when it comes to trashing the course or harming the baskets, but I honestly have no problem with someone initialing a basket after an ace. It make takes up 2 sqaure inches on the yellow top of an innova basket, and adds a little culture to the course IMO. Unless someone wrote in HUGE letters that they aced the hole and made it hard to see the hole from the tee, I see no problem with leaving your initials.

Hate? Hate is when you selfishly mark up a piece of park equipment. That ain't cultured.

there is no difference!! beat it in your skull..vandalism is vandalism..idiots deserve to be called idiots.

I agree, and you sir are an idiot.

I changed my mind on this topic based on the fact that so many people feel it should not be signed, but some of the arguments, like comparing signing a basket to signing a house, are completely idiotic and show a lack of basic logical reasoning ability.

Some parents maybe should have beat their kids more, but maybe yours should have just helped you with your homework.

Congrats on your ace, I will look for it if I can figure out the circle c course next time I'm in Austin.

So if I go sign my name on your car you are cool with it?

Purely idiotic. If you are on the moral high ground, which you are on this topic (although it is the logical low ground) there is no need to resort to silly, illogical arguments. The fact that most people do not want baskets signed is the best reason for the rest of us not to sign them. Although if the topic were more personal and consequential (say abortion or gay marriage) I don't give two craps what the majority says.

I really didn't care. I didn't see a problem with this before. In tyler the people write name and date, it's not really a problem for me. It in my opinion doens't detract from the game, make the course look trashy, etc. Apparently the majority is somehow injured or pissed off by this, not really me. I'm not gonna mark my next ace, but I'm not going to fault anyone for marking it.
There are times where it's scribble, so and so was here, that crap is vandalism, but I still don't see it. and no, writing on my house, car, street, that's all different. If my house was a discatcher, I'd have bigger problems that someone writing on my house.

Purely idiotic. If you are on the moral high ground, which you are on this topic (although it is the logical low ground) there is no need to resort to silly, illogical arguments. The fact that most people do not want baskets signed is the best reason for the rest of us not to sign them. Although if the topic were more personal and consequential (say abortion or gay marriage) I don't give two craps what the majority says.

Awesome on the name calling BTW.

His view "It isn't my property so I don't give a **** about it"

My view "It isn't my car, so I don't give a **** about it"

Where is the logic failure?

Besides thats why I switched to the road in front of your house. It is public property and not yours but if I sprayed "Here lives a douchewagon" you probably wouldn't leave it would you?

Latest posts