• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Max D driver combos

Max D - Worlds Katana max weight - still stable enough

Distance - Star Destroyers and currently the Vulcan

I carry a Force for those just-in-case moments, but my main line-up is currently:

Champ Wraith - Overstable
Start Wraith - Stable
Beat DX Wraith - Understable

I have a GL Flow coming to fill that last slot after losing my turnover Wraith, and having to suffer through beating another one in. I was using a Z AvengerSS during that time, but it just wasn't the same. Hopefully the Flow will find a spot in my bag.

I don't carry a lot of discs, nor do I carry multiples of the same mold. I also don't have a whole lot of power/distance(maybe 400' max)

For wide-open max D I use:
175g Opto Halo- it's an older, flatter one that I've been using for awhile now.
168g Opto Bolt- Just got it as a katana replacement and it's working out super-great. Haven't been able to take it out to an open field and see how far it goes yet though.

I carry/use other drivers, but they are for more finesse and other shots. Those are just what I use when I have 20+ feet of corridor-width to shoot. I don't play many open courses, but when I do, I prefer to play them Swedish.

I carry a Champ Starfire, Opto Flow, GL Flow, and a beat Champ Valk for my max D drivers. The Starfire gets used into a headwind since it has very little glide and won't turn at all. Opto Flow gets used the most for my controlled shots. GL Flow when I need the extra distance and have a little room to work it or when there is a tailwind. The Valk is really understable and gets used sparingly, but when a right turn is needed after 300' or so, then I will hyzer-flip it up to that point and watch it turnover.

I have never gotten into the widest rim drivers. I have tried the Nuke, but It was between my Flows in stability and I never saw any more distance from it than I get with them. I also tried a Boss, but I didn't care for it either.

Discraft needs something in between the Nuke and NukeOS...perhaps the ESP NukeOS will be less stable/glide more and be that disc. I've heard their pros complain about this gap in the lineup. For some reason Nukes don't seem to hardly ever come out with more HSS (only ones I've thrown were lightweight purple).

Try out the 2011 Am Worlds CryZtal Sparkle Nukes (the red or blue ones with the eagle's head on the stamp) if you haven't. They are the most overstable Nuke I've ever thrown, still short of the OS, but I think it fills the gap you're talking about.

Other than that, I like to keep a Pro Hurricane in the bag for just that slot you're talking about.

--

I try to keep the philosophy of 3's - Over-/Stable/Under- for different speed categories. My max D discs are Destroyer/Nuke/Archon.'

I also like to keep tweeners or utility discs, but usually not multiples of them in the bag - i.e. the Pro Hurricane.

I used flows until I read a write up you (discspeed) did on the sword. I like it better than the flow because it doesn't seem to be as nose angle sensitive as the flow just as you said. I get a little more distance with it than the flow too with a tighter "S" curve. Where the flow seems to glide to it's distance, the sword just takes off like a jet and gets there fast. Probably sounds crazy but it's the quickest disc I've ever seen if that makes sense. Very fast flying.

I'm still messing around with my uber "D" drivers, but the Sword is a staple. After that I've been trying out the King, Havoc, and Bolt. I'm really having a hard time picking from the three, because the King is the longest, but the Bolt just feels better and seems more consistant. After that, I have my Vulcan. It is my "go to" no head wind driver. It just works great for me, but I also don't have a big arm. So flipping it is not a problem for me.
So far I haven't had the need to have a crazy headwind disc. The Sword seems to be able to handle pretty good headwinds, but I still carry my good old Teerex when the wind starts creaping up to 15 to 20 mph.
I've just started playing with the Teedevil, but I'm not sure were it will fall or if it will even make it into my bag?

I'm still working with GL Flows as my general distance driver. I use a fresh VIP Sword if there is a slight headwind, but I really don't have a heavy wind distance driver (still looking). The course I play at most only has two holes that allow you to really crank it, and often times there's not a lot of wind to worry about. That's pretty much why I haven't given these slots a lot of attention.

I tried out a Rampage for those windy days but it was too much disc for me, I guess, and I don't like the feel of super wide-rimmed drivers. The Flow and similar speed discs are about the widest that's still felt comfortable in my hand. Anybody have suggestions here? I use a 150 S-PD as a workhorse control driver... Definitely not great in the wind. Would a heavier one or C-PD fill that slot decently?

I use a beat in DX Archangel, Z Avenger SS, XS, DX Viking and a Pro Destroyer. I use all of them in their own ways, and I'm figuring out which disc is best to use for which situations.

I can use my 168g Archangel for tailwind drives, rollers, anhyzers and pretty big straight distance shots. This disc is my furthest flying disc, and it beats out the Destroyer by about 15 feet. Absolutely awful for headwinds.

I use the 174g Avenger SS for more predictable drives, typically up hill and in slight wind where my Archangel would literally flip over. My "go to" distance driver.

My 170g-ish XS is the first disc I threw over 200 feet with. It's a nice, straight flying, with a slight S shape and predictable disc. I'm most comfortable with this disc, but I find it mostly useful for flat, straight shots. I have tried throwing it uphill multiple times, but it doesn't seem to like to fly upward as it slows down very quickly.

174g DX Viking I have been experimenting with. No actual place in the bag with this disc, although I think it will be useful for bigger hyzer finishes as well as heavier headwinds where the Avenger SS may turn and burn. It's very predictable with the right amount of power.

171g Pro Destroyer is my biggest distance driver. Any crappy throw can be huge with this disc, and that shocks me. I can easily get 275 feet throwing a really bad helix shot in the field. On the course, I like to use this disc in stronger headwinds, throwing on a hill, throwing uphill and where I need a nice, big hyzer finish. I also like to use this disc where I would use my Nuke; slower forehand shots around a bend.

I tried out a Rampage for those windy days but it was too much disc for me, I guess, and I don't like the feel of super wide-rimmed drivers. The Flow and similar speed discs are about the widest that's still felt comfortable in my hand. Anybody have suggestions here? I use a 150 S-PD as a workhorse control driver... Definitely not great in the wind. Would a heavier one or C-PD fill that slot decently?

BTW, my apologies if this is considered a threadjack.

Like I said in my post, I use a Starfire. It really shines into a headwind.

For my home course in the thick woods, the highest speed disc I really need is my seasoned SL for finesse drives and a banshee for drives that need to fade at the end. In a more open course like BAP or Pleasant Hill, I break out the Xcaliber and the Katana depending on the wind direction and strength.

Like I said in my post, I use a Starfire. It really shines into a headwind.

Right on, I swore I read through all of these posts but I guess I missed that. Thanks for the suggestion. :thmbup:

Sounds like the C-PD and Champ Starfire may be fairly similar. I may give them both a try.

When is comes to Max D I use 175g Orc's and 175g Xcaliber's after that the next fastest disc in my bag is an Eagle.

My Longest discs tend to be a Beat 174 First Run Pro Katana and my Star Vulcans. For Headwinds I use either my Star AJ Destroyer or will mix in a Star Katana sometimes as well.

Vulcans and headwinds are veeeeery interesting. It's really like playing with fire.

No to slight wind- star wraith...average wind-star destroyer...heavy wind-champion boss. The wraith is def my farthest flying disc

My max D drivers probably don't make most peoples list. My home course features several 400ft and up holes so for a while I was tossing nukes mostly for anything straight to hyzer and a pro katana for anhyzers. Then I jacked up a tendon in my throwing hand which made my middle finger pretty much useless. It also forced me to change my grip to one that looked like I was flipping the bird lol. Worked fine for small rims but the nuke was definitely out, too painful.
So I switched to a star valk for the annys and a new champ glow valk for everything else long range. Best move I ever made. The star can easily make the 400ft anhyzer shots and the champ glow handles anything dead straight to slightly left in the 400 and up category. And I feel like I'm nowhere near reaching their potential.

I've liked champion Destroyers since they came out and always go back to them. There are a few discs I can throw farther but the destroyer seems to have a consistency that I like. Maybe it's just the right size for my hand or something. If I need a distance shot to go right I'll throw a C TD which is supposedly almost identical to a Roadrunner but I think they mis marketed this disc. It is actually more like a -2, 1 than the advertized -4, 1. Very consistent flier though. Turns but doesn't burn.

Latest posts