• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Midranges for distance

How far can you throw your mids?

• 100ft

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 150ft

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • 200ft

Votes: 19 18.4%
  • 250ft

Votes: 39 37.9%
  • 300ft

Votes: 26 25.2%
  • 350ft

Votes: 13 12.6%
  • 400ft

• 450ft

• Total voters
Latitude core in optoline
DGA squall

By far the longest mids I have thrown. Easily further then buzzz, rock, wasp, etc.

They fly very similiar so there's probably no need to own both.

I seem to have the problem to throw with full power on all my drives from the tee but it is starting to cool down for me a bit but they are still very hard throws.

I am not convinced your issue will be solved by going to mids off the tee. If your self-diagnosis is correct, I am thinking that messing around with your footwork and reach-back (possibly your grips too) will get you where you want to go faster.

Accuracy/control and consistency off the tee is one of the keys to scoring well. That is indeed usually accomplished by going to mid-ranges. In fact, I know several top 20-50 players who have the philosophy to always throw the slowest disc possible since that limits fading and skipping issues. But if you are seeking to always be able to "crank it" off the tee, you will hinder your development in accuracy/control/consistency.

If you want to throw mids for distance, well you're a smart man.

I would highly recommend a few discs depending on what you already like...

Z Wasp, Z BuzZz, Z Meteor (hyzer flip a meteor and it will go go go...)

Gator

Warrior, Element (again with the hyzer line)

They'll all do you proud.

\/\/

gotta second the support for the cobra. I just started throwing it regularly maybe two months ago and it is $$$. If teepads are rough or theres a tight wooded fairway, I can get a lot of lines throwing a cobra with no runup.

to me it is the leopard of mid-ranges.

gotta second the support for the cobra. I just started throwing it regularly maybe two months ago and it is $$$. If teepads are rough or theres a tight wooded fairway, I can get a lot of lines throwing a cobra with no runup.

to me it is the leopard of mid-ranges.

Why uou gotta be like that man? Now, I might have to try one.

Why uou gotta be like that man? Now, I might have to try one.

The Mako is a great disc...but like so many midranges...I have no real place to put it.

My dad throws one a lot...I've used it to GREAT success...there's just no time where I'm like "man, I should use a Mako for THIS SPECIFIC SHOT!"

But If I had to trim down my mid selection...it'd be a good candidate.

\/\/

I try to hyzer flip my skeeter for my longest midrange shots. I love its glide and go. Then again I don't throw the large diameter plastic which I imagine will float more and out D the small stuff. Please correct me if I am wrong.??? I have little experience with the large stuff since I don't like the feel. :confused:

I believe the larger diameter mids float more and the small diameter mids are slightly faster. Could be wrong though. I will say that throwing a Skeeter in a big tailwind is a thing of beauty.

People talk about their drive or their putting a lot, but the mid range aspect of the game is a very important part of disc golf and its often overlooked. I enjoy reading mid-range subject threads.

I feel most comfortable with a mid-range in my hand than anything. I feel like I can make almost any shot with it. I wish every hole was under 300 :(

I can't quite get any of my mids to 300 feet...I can tell you that the Buzzz is my best, most dependable mid, but if I want a little more distance out of my mids that day, I'll break out the Core. To me, it's almost the exact same as the Buzzz with a little bit more diameter...for me it tends to go a bit longer with just a touch more fade then the Buzzz....

I use the wasp or the buzzz if I want distance off a mid. And if you consider it a mid, the storm is extremely long as well. It sits about where the stingray is I believe. It's like a longer buzzz.