• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Most hated plant in your area for disc golf?

Can't believe no one has been a smart-ass and said "mary jane" or something to that effect :rolleyes:

After reading through some of the more extreme examples of hated vegetation, I came to the conclusion that here in SE MI, we don't have it too bad! :thmbup:

I have to agree with most of the other midwest/great lakes area contributors and say Poison Ivy and such are to be feared the most around these parts. Like several others have said, there are some pokey things here and there, but nothing like what can be ran into at Idlewild, or Hornets nest.. let alone these vile-looking weapons disguised as plants you call 'Honey Locust' and 'Mesquite'! :thmbdown:

From a different perspective though, I would have to say I hate the Buckthorn the most. Glossy Buckthorn (Rhamnus Frangula) is highly invasive and very prominent on many courses in our area. The fairways of the famed Hudson Mills are practically lined with very large buckthorn bushes (8-9ft tall x 15ish ft in circumference) usually in clusters of 4 or 5. They make getting around difficult, and playing through them can be very tricky, but they pose virtually no risk of bodily harm.

The problem lies in the threat it poses to the local ecosystem. This species inhibits native plants from growing normally, which leaves more room for these to grow, which in turn replaces the food source for many insects. The berries of the buckthorn (which yield several seeds per berry) contain a chemical that is not palatable to these bugs, which in turn reduces the food stock for insectivorous birds, which in turn spreads the population of the birds thinner, so on and so forth..

It is by no means a critical issue, just something this thread got me to thinking about.

Anything that gives me a rash. Thorns and stinging nettles only last so long.

Dat Rash lingers.

For me at my home courses, I hate the ice plant! It carpets the ground and sucks for footing an run ups.
But what I hate the most about it is, it breaks up kinda like aloe and all the juice gets on your disc and stains your disc a poop colored brown. People always trip on me cause I'm always cleaning my discs. It eats away at the plastic and it reall does leave a sh*t color mark.

This stuff is plain old NASTY!! I'm still recovering from mine that I got last week in California. I would gladly take Poison Ivy over Oak ANY day!

Poison oak, which is endemic to northern california...

It's gotta be Poison Ivy, simply because the rash sticks around for days. Thorns certainly are no fun, but they're generally harder to miss and the pain is only momentary. Poison Ivy is easy to miss until you see that rash start to form. Then you're stuck with it.

I've gotten into poison sumac before too, that's not fun either, but in New England, poison ivy is definitely more prevalent.

Since I do not react to poison ivy (knock on wood) I would have to say it is the pokey plants.

Funny Story:
I personally thought it was hilarious when I was at an Ace Race in Illinois last year and a number of people, including me, overshot the basket by a bit and ended up in a very large patch of poison ivy. I was wearing shorts and a tee-shirt and just walked right in like there was nothing there and didn't even get a tiny bit itchy from it. The guys I was with were looking at me like I was some kind of idiot lol.

I was the same way for 45 years. Could practically roll naked in the stuff and never have the least hint of irritation. My mother-in-law would always ask me to pull up the stuff from her landscaped areas where she didn't want to spray Brush-b-gone because it would kill the good plants. Did that one time too many and ended up with massive itching, oozing, even bleeding sores all up and down both legs. Took nearly a month to recover and still have a couple of faint scars from the worst spots. So don't push your luck.

Poison Ivy. If I walk near that stuff I seem to get it.

I got into the Giant Hogweed or maybe wild parsnip a few years ago and the tiniest amount of sap on skin raises significant blisters that take forever to heal

Poison Ivy - Itchy
Burdocks -
Green Briar - tear your sh.. in a heart beat
Black berry - getting in is the easy part.
Cedar -collects discs then those spines fall down your back when you go up to retrieve
Boring old field grass - when it doesnt get mowed
Honey Locus - big dumb spikes
ileagnus - little spikes grows like crazy under canopu

Poison ivy, Oak and sumac

Just a helpful hint:

I am ultra allergic to all the all the above plants, I mean ULTRA allergic. I was told a few years ago to carry hand sanitizer in my bag to eliminate the oils from these plants that get on my skin and disc. I don't know the science, if any behind this or if it is some kind of placebo effect, but on the past few years I have been getting less and less of the poison oak, ivy and sumac. Just run some of the sanitizer on your disc, hands or wherever you feel you touched or got the oils on you. I seems to work for me.

Edit : Also Bull Nettle, that stuff SUCKS!! Especially because you have to ask someone to do a little R Kelly on the spot that is burning with pain!!

Last edited:
images

Its called the Tonawanda Coke Plant. Not what you'd call a "green" plant.

On the disc golf course, its probably trees. They get in the way all the time. But so do bushes and tall grass. Hmmm...

Poison Ivy is a bitch, but honestly I'd say this:
images

Giant Hogweed.

Briar bushes don't bother me but the briar trunks do. I grabbed one the other day trying to steady myself. Still hurts.

A list of the NW's most annoying plants:

Poison oak/ivy
Himalayan blackberry
Scotch broom
Stinging nettle
Wild holly
Hawthorne
Russian thistle
Sawgrass

Did no one notice the HOUSE that has been overrun by kudzu in the center of this picture?

Last edited:
In the separate world of course construction it's vines, not briars, that we curse. A small clearing project, tied together with vines, becomes a nightmare.

^this and any brush that houses ticks.
I'd rather have poison ivy head to toe than lyme disease.