• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Most hated plant in your area for disc golf?

Poisen Ivy and a plant which I have come to know as "Jesus Thorn". Not sure what the real name is.

^ This, but blackberry bushes deserve an honorable mention for drawing blood on some courses.

And here I thought they'd merit honorable mention for being delicious! It was one of my delights in my first year of disc golf to enjoy the changing seasons and the various berries as they came into fruit. Tasty stuff!

For me, poison ivy's the most unpleasant. I've only run afoul of it once - but it really cramped my style for a week or more.

Bois D' Arc trees/thickets.

Then maybe sweetgum.

I don't know if it is the most hated (yet), but wild parsnip has become an issue for at least one local course, and it is spreading like crazy around the area. It has become really bad along some of the highways where mowing frequency has been cut or eliminated.

You must be talkin' bout Zobel.

Cholla cactus (pronounced as "choy-ya"):

Cholla_Cactus_Garden_IMG_8127.jpg

Desert snowballs! At least thats what we called them as a kid. Kinda hurt when thrown at you.

Well I hate a few for various reasons

• Golden Rod and Birch: Allergic to both, which is a problem at the course I play at in northern MN since they are everywhere
  • Stinning Nettle: Its just the best when you grab onto one accidentally when you are hunting for your disc… NOT
  • Poison Ivy and Oak: Just brutal, throws off your whole game espically if you get it on your hands.

Easily Poison Oak for me. Blackberries can be stepped on, beaten back, reached through, etc. If you try to do any of those things to poison oak, you, your disc, your clothes, and the stick you're using to ward off the poison oak are going to get covered with urushiol and the next couple weeks are going to suck if you don't wash it off immediately.

Hate to get all botany nerd on you Peter, but although Poison Oak is native to Norcal, it is not endemic, which means only found there.

busted again! It is, however, endemic to the west coast afaik

Giant Hogweed. Holy crap is that stuff painful...

In DFW, I'd say definitely poison ivy. Oh sure, there's lots of thorny/spiky plants around...but bleeding stops pretty quickly. Itching can last for weeks.

My home course lies where the Great Plains meet the Rocky Mountains. Semi-arid natives like yucca and prickly pear cactus are bothersome. they occupy the front 7 but you can get around them for the most part. I keep tweezers in my bag in case of emergencies. On a few occasions, I have had some tiny spines work their way through my boot, and dig into my foot a few days after the fact!

These menacing plants are absent from the last 11 holes. They are replaced with bull thistle, or maybe milk thistle, I am not sure. I don't care much, because they are from hell. They are not native, and they grow profusely in the reclaimed acreage where the course has been installed. They are crazy spiny, they grow tall, and they are all over. Massive itching and red welts will ruin even the toughest Chucker's day. I dig them out as much as possible on Saturdays before our Big round. Heavy gloves are sometimes not enough to prevent getting a jolt.

Around chicagoland the only real problem is poison ivy. I currently have some on my left leg and right arm, and it sucks. Takes me a month to push that crap out of my skin.

On the bright side, that means that thorns, giant hogweed, and cacti aren't a concern.

Invasive Himalayan Blackberry, because if your disc goes in a big patch, you say goodbye to it.

And, from a course maintenance standpoint, Scotch Broom, because you cant cut it, its amongst the most fibrous and resiliant of all weeds. Hate it.