• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Most Insane Disc Retreival???

tomjulio

Eagle Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
There was a thread a few days back about how long one looks for a lost disc. Here's a new thread on what is the most INSANE disc retrieval scenario one has done or seen to retrieve a disc?

I ask cause today I was going to play alone but instead met a cool dude to play with at Ludington,MI's Beast course. We play and at hole 9, a short par 3 basically up and over trees he launches a tomahawk throw which gets stuck, I swear, sixty feet up in a pine tree. He is short stocky dude, around 30 years old and 220+ pounds. The dude climbs up this rickety old pine tree three times on branches WAY too small for his weight. Each branch creaking and stretching to it's max. Ass plumber crack all the way up. We find a long plastic pole on the hole (others must have had the same issue on this hole). He climbs back up fifty feet with the stick, he prods and pokes and shakes the tree for over an hour as I guide him to this disc. After almost giving up twice the lucky F%$ker hits his disc with the pole blindly. Down it falls. He climbs down sweating, scratched, scared, full of sap, worn out.

Damn...hell of an effort. And I happened to have my mini-vid-cam on me to record it. Going to put it YouTube in the next day or two. I would have left that disc up there after ten minutes of profanity.

Funny you should bring this up...

it just so happens today, one of the guys I am playing with slices one into the top of the last tree he could have possibly hit on a hole at Andrew Brown Park in Coppell, TX... Its a good thing this tree caught his disc, because had it continued it would have been in a very high very dirty looking creek... ANyway because of the location and the way the disc was lodged in the tree the usual baseball/water bottle toss thing wasn't working, and to top it off the tree is surrounded by Poison Ivy and some nasty little thorny things... So climbing didn't look like an option until my other buddy kinda boosts Joe up into the tree over the prickly's and he manages to shake the disc nearly free then with a well placed poke with a stick it is finally free... So now comes the getting down... Daniel goes over and has Joe slide down onto his shoulder and then ever so gently lowers Joe to the ground... I swear I would have paid to have my camera with me at that point but of course didn't... Oh well guess ya had to be there!!!

Josh

A few weeks ago I lost one about 30 feet up in a tree. I climbed up and got it. I'm 51, I weigh 260 and I have a very bad knee. But I was NOT going to lose that disc. Of course I wound up trading it but that's beside the point LOL.

damn...sound almost identical except for the height and the fact that this dude was NOT getting on my skinny ass shoulders! Uploaded his "success" at getting disc. This was after an hour!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPXbEnbsgt4

That was pretty high up. One of the many things I like about the sport; I gives you an excuse to go up and climb a tree.

I lost a well loved (and now missed) disc at the famous cliff "kiss it goodbye" hole in Aspen, climbed down over 80 feet with shaky footing and saved it.

Man that was pretty funny video. I just can't imagine doing that.

I played last night at Burnsboro and on hole 3 you tee off over a fairly close water/mud hazard with an old metal row boat sitting mired in the middle. I was flicking and lifted the outer wing too much and basically turning my disc into a goo seeking missile. The disc B lined it for the boat and with a loud 'clang' announced to all that I was about to get messy. And in I waded

15 min later i was a lot more muddy and smellier than i had been prior, but I had my driver back in hand:)

On a few occasions, on secluded courses where I was by myself and the only person on the course, I've stripped down to my just my underwear, gone into murky water up to my chest, and searched in the mud with my toes to find a disc.

Once I played in the morning and lost a new disc (Proline Beast) near the edge of a lake when I didn't carry the water at the end of the drive. (Walnut Creek in Charlottesville VA, hole 18.) Later that day I brought the family back to swim and canoe in the lake and we canoed to where the disc was lost. There was a steep drop off so it got deep quick and there was mucky mud with slimy green plants. I made repeated dives in the muck to look for it, and got green slimy stuff on me, but I never found it. I only found ~5 other discs that I gave to my son and his friends.

Once I played in the morning and lost a new disc (Proline Beast) near the edge of a lake when I didn't carry the water at the end of the drive. (Walnut Creek in Charlottesville VA, hole 18.) Later that day I brought the family back to swim and canoe in the lake and we canoed to where the disc was lost. There was a steep drop off so it got deep quick and there was mucky mud with slimy green plants. I made repeated dives in the muck to look for it, and got green slimy stuff on me, but I never found it. I only found ~5 other discs that I gave to my son and his friends.

haha..yeah I can see it... "Um Dad, why are you taking us to this little tiny lake to swim and canoe in? And what are all these metal things with chains on them? Are those BBQ pits?"

I've played three before and also lost a disc on 18. I got a call a couple months later from a guy who had been diving there and had found my disc. He said he found around 25 discs!

I was playing with my brother at UT Alumni park in Dallas. He got his brand new T-Rex stuck in a tree. We tried for 20 minutes and even though we kept hitting it dead on with sticks of firewood that we had found nearby the disc would not budge. We finished the round and went to the store and he bought a new baby blue star wraith for $18.00. The next day we went back to the course and the T-Rex was gone. When he threw his new wraith on the same hole it followed the exact same line that the T-Rex had the day before and got stuck in the same tree. I laughed so long that I started getting cramps in my stomach. When we got to the tree we noticed that the disc was on top of a bird nest. We made direct hits many times with large pieces of wood but the disc would not budge. After 30 minutes we gave up. As we were leaving I noticed another disc in the other side of the tree and I easily knocked it out. It was a baby blue star wraith. We went back and looked at the bird nest more closely and noticed that it had a piece of baby blue cloth woven into it by the bird that built it and it looked just like a disc laying on top of the nest.

I had to climb a tree on # 2 at Token Creek here in Madison, yesterday. My pink Wraith was about 35 feet up. I've been a rock (not Roc) climber, so a pine tree is like a ladder for me...no problem. I climb up slowly, wanting to avoid getting sappy and not get poked in the eye. All is well. Get to the disc and take a look around. Oh my! I can see the basket. I think I have a shot. I'm by myself and laughing out loud cuz I'm 35 feet off the ground and thinking...Birdie. Oh, geez a 50 year old climbing a pine tree and thinking Deuce. I'd like to say I made the toss, but it didn't go in. Carded a three. Woohoo!

5 years ago my brother and played 3 rounds @ White River DGC in Randolph VT, on Thanksgiving Day. Not much snow on the ground yet, but the temperature was in the high 20s. Two of the fairways (#13 & #18) cross the White River, which had yet to freeze over. Last drives of the day had us facing the final water crossing with confidence, having already made 5 successful "dry" runs that day. He goes for a monster drive to cross on his T-shot and misses by about a foot, landing where the bank was steep and rocky. In order to retrieve it, he has lay on his stomach and reach in past his elbow. He got away with an easy retrieval. I try for a safe drive to the beach on the near side opposite the basket and miss, overpowering my 150g XL into a hyzer half way over the river 15 feet from the far shore.:eek: I figure, what the heck, we're almost done, how bad can it be? I cross the bridge, and moving quickly take off my boots and roll up my pant legs. Two steps in and I lose all feeling in my feet. Moving very quickly now I reach my disc in water above my knees, reach down & blindly fling it towards shore following it very closely myself. After redressing my feet I made the putt for a circle par. It was a good thing we'd taken his car, we were half way home before I could feel my feet again!