• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Most Simple Post Ever

I can not believe that it took over 50 posts for someone to mention the #1 reason for playing.

THE GIRLS
also
THE PRESTIGE
C'mon guys you missed the two most important.

Yeah. I don't get it either.

Some men you just can't reach.

217px-Cool_Hand_Luke_Martin.jpg

I play to drink beer, smoke, and litter. ;)

But really,
-It's fun
-It's cheap
-The ever evolving pin changes
-The people that play
-Humility
-The local mountains burned down. One day I was a hiker, the next day a DG'er.

for my health, i lost 25 pounds the first summer i was playing
for fun
way easier than ball golf
love to watch the disc fly
love to get to places i otherwise wouldn't, like blacksburg, va
saves money(except for the disc buying problem i have)
competition to a degree, i'm not big into tourneys
meeting new people is also cool, although i do wish more chicks played

Yea, but if it was just the girls...wouldn't you move to southern California and try your hand at surfing?

exercise

gets me out of the house - a few moments away from wife and kid

meet up with close friends, comraderie and cheap nuclear power

fills a need to throw thing (no, i mean it, i've always been throwing something, football, frisbee, disc golf disc, rocks, shot, discus, softball)

fills a need to compete

sunlight man, i need sunlight

dg does all of this, i'm very addicted

I started playing in the mid 90s when my friends were in college (UNI - Cedar Falls, IA) mainly because it was fun and it was something competetive to do with friends. We all quit playing after the college years when they moved out of state and I stayed in IA. Then in the summer of 2010 we all got back in to it again.
The reasons I got back in to it again: 1) I had forgotten how much fun it was 2) I had a ball golf membership for the past 10 years but now with two young boys and a stay at home mom it's hard to justify the $1000 cost for ball golf on one income and 3) my 4 yr old boy LOVES going out to the dg course in town with me 4) The choices for discs these days compared to the 90s is awesome 5) It's easy to find and try new courses (thanks DGCR). I remember in one of the tournaments in the 90s I won a book that was a spiral bound directory to all the courses in the country at that time. I wish I could find it.

I play discgolf because it is something I can do on my own. I've been a father since I was 20 and married since I was 21. Time alone is rare. The competition is nice, but I am a competitive guy. Having guy time is a nice change too. I have a tendency to be locked in dad mode 24/7 so getting the chance to try and turn that off every once in a while is nice. I still don't drink or smoke or all the other "fun" activities so many others promote while on the course. For me, simply being out there is the fun. The game isn't that complicated, it's cheap, and they let just about anybody do it. What's not to love?

getting hooked...

Quick story... ill paraphrase my reason for playing...
Played club rugby, when i went to Valdosta State, on the same field the Ultimate Club played on. One day after rugby, walked over and asked my buddys if i could join in a game of ultimate. Switched clubs the next day! (I know, I know... steriotypical college kid getting tangled up in "FRISBEE"... whatever) Caught on almost instantly and naturally had a flick to boot! Come to find out, one of my friends was nationally ranked as a kid in disc golf. Asked if i ever heard of it, i said no. Long story short, he taught me the ropes and ive never looked back! This SPORT is me, through and through. Disc flight is euphoric. Being active ouside rewards itself. This SPORT will be apart of my life till i die. I only wish i would have found it sooner. :thmbup:

originally it was to get outside and away from "it all"... but then i just started to love the feel of throwing discs.

It's fun.
It keeps me active.
The friends.
Both my boys like playing.
And there is something about the flight of the disc.

Latest posts