• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Most underrated courses out there

Sorry, wasn't nocking the courses. Just joking about a certain over rated course that's been getting 5's because it's "clean".

Both of these have a lot of tweener holes from the longs....and lots of holes have lots of random trouble late which compounds that problem. This issue knocks both courses down at least half a disc in my book since a great drive earns you little score-wise compared to decent drive - both leave you with a NAGS (John Houcks term for "not a golf shot"....ie a 60-160' upshot).

I tend to think those courses are a bit overrated.

Regarding O'hauser; I've still not done a review. I believe I agree with you though, Dave. It's also part of why the new design is perhaps not liked as much as the old...there are so few chances for a deuce; you're largely just playing to not bogey for the entire round...

Used to be tough to score there, but was possible. Now, I would say it's rather impossible.

...and from gold tees; most pros point out that "discs just don't fly that way." Meaning, even for them, scoring separation is difficult from a positive stand point, and they, also, are largely trying to "not lose strokes."

Last edited:
Burchfield Park, Devils Den, MI - Massive course with many options. I played the gold course. Phenomenal. Next time up, I will play the Blue course. The blues had more sculpted pins and greens.

I gave Burchfield 4.5 but changed it to 5.0 after playing it a 2nd time. It also helps to have a 2nd course in the same park, don't miss hole 2 on the 2nd course!

Both of these have a lot of tweener holes from the longs....and lots of holes have lots of random trouble late which compounds that problem. This issue knocks both courses down at least half a disc in my book since a great drive earns you little score-wise compared to decent drive - both leave you with a NAGS (John Houcks term for "not a golf shot"....ie a 60-160' upshot).

I guess I could see that at O'Hauser...but to me, it's just forcing you to shape more lines. To be fair, I've never played the Gold pads...they look brutal.

Borderland, on the other hand, not so much...although I only played blue to blue (Longs). I throw about 350-370' when throwing well (which I definitely was there), and I thought the hole distances were great. I had lots of birdie opportunities at that distance, and felt like the landing zones on the longer holes were right where they should have been. With the dual tees, and two pins always in, I thought there was a bit of something for everyone.

I agree with an awful lot on this thread.....what boggles me is when players bypass great courses to play the more notorious on dgcr

driving past Loriella to play Blockhouse is a sin committed by probably thousands of disc golfers who to this day have played blockhouse multiple times but never considered playing Loriella....foolishness

speaking of VA....New Quarter is amongst the better complexes on the east coast but nary gets a whisper on dgcr forums or even word of mouth

I agree with the comment above that stated that navigation issues, course difficulty, choppy flow, poor signage and generally anything that ruins a first time players good time are recipes for a course being underrated.
Whispering Falls is a perfect example of this

Call me nutty but Borderland wasn't really all that special to me and I felt the same way about Cranberry in Ct........what blew me away was Devens....that place is the one place I want to get back to one day despite its lower than deserved rating...I don't get New England so many great courses that are rated so low when if in another state theyd be rated a full disc higher

When I was in DWF, at every course I played I was thinking this would be about 1 disc lower rated if it was in the mid-atlantic.

When I was in DWF, at every course I played I was thinking this would be about 1 disc lower rated if it was in the mid-atlantic.

I heard this same thing 10-12 yrs ago regarding Texas......Ive never been there I always wondered if its just preference/ I do remember so many out of staters complaining at Lehigh Valley Worlds about Nockamixon so taste and preference are indeed based on what you are used to

I just thought of another recipe for being underrated.....it seems the closer you are to a top rated course the more you get overlooked

A bit underrated in my book at 3.69. France Park in Logansport, In.

It's been raining here lately. The drought hasn't broken yet, but things are a lot better than when you played here (last year???)

I haven't played the courses in the Mid-Atlantic. I hope to soon.

It's been raining here lately. The drought hasn't broken yet, but things are a lot better than when you played here (last year???)

I haven't played the courses in the Mid-Atlantic. I hope to soon.
2 years ago, had nothing to with weather, just the style of golf, type of vegetation and lack of elevation. The mud at Cedar Hill was quite epic though. :gross:

2 years ago, had nothing to with weather, just the style of golf, type of vegetation and lack of elevation. The mud at Cedar Hill was quite epic though. :gross:

You won't get thicker and more abundant poison ivy anywhere! DFW is poison ivy central!

Pyramids DGC gets my vote. While not a NT caliber course like Maple Hill next door, the casual setting is much more inviting. Great "league" course.

Having Marshall Street on site is tasty as well!

It seems that some of the underrated courses are suffering from bad ratings from older reviews that don't reflect the course as it is today. I wonder if Tim could set up something where a rating drops off after a certain amount of time. Only ratings from the last 3 years count maybe? Just a thought.

One I reviewed today, that just keeps getting improved.
O'Hauser Park, Neenah, WI

Really nice course that's overshadowed locally by Rollin' Ridge. Course wise, it's pretty damn fun, and should probably be over 4.0.

I thought Borderland in Easton, MA is even underrated at 4.21. It's probably top 3 of the courses I've played. I'm thinking the rubber tees are what's holding it back...but the golf is absolutely phenomenal.

Another one of O'Hauser!! Same distance from my place as the Ridge but only find myself there 2-3 times a year, which i sad because it really is an awesome course. Good ole' Wisco is just so loaded with great courses that O'Hauser doesn't even make it into the top 20 on the site.

Another one of O'Hauser!! Same distance from my place as the Ridge but only find myself there 2-3 times a year, which i sad because it really is an awesome course. Good ole' Wisco is just so loaded with great courses that O'Hauser doesn't even make it into the top 20 on the site.

It's great for winter golf, too, as the local club always keeps at least one set of tees cleared off.

Also, Inverness Disc Golf Course outside of Birmingham, Alabama is very much so underrated on this site, 3.94 rating. i think because it is such a beat down a lot of people really don't care for it but i personally really liked the challenge.

Undecided, undefined
Undisturbed yet undermined
Relocated not retired
Reprimanded and rewired
Mystified and misshapen
Misinformed but not mistaken
Reinvented, redefined
Rearranged but not refined
Unrelenting, understroked
Undeterred yet unprovoked
Reinvented, redefined
Rearranged but not refined
Mystified and misshapen
Misinformed but not mistaken
Undecided, undefined

I just did some analysis on my favorite/top-rated courses on Mando's Best vs Favorite thread. Here are my candidates from that:
Yadkin County Park - Yadkinville, NC (already mentioned up-thread)
Highbridge Hills - The Bear - Highbridge, WI (best course at Highbridge, hands down)
Fox Chase - Albemarle, NC
Lake Olmstead Park - Augusta, GA
East Roswell Park - Roswell, GA

Latest posts