• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Most Underrated Disc Golf States

TN? Lots of good courses, some great courses, and I never hear anyone talking about it.

I've purposefully not mentioned my home state. We are underrated, but I didn't want to contribute to the stereotypical DGCR user comments that show up every time one of these threads is started. They usually go something a little someting like this. Hit it:

"OMG, (Insert your state name here) is so underrated! We have (Insert all 4 of the courses you've ever played here in CSV format), and (Insert the other course name 100 miles away that your buddy played once and said was awesome here)! Our tournaments are the sickest, and our local clubs keep the courses clean as $#*@!!!:thmbup: (Insert friend's name here) was just out at (Insert your personal favorite course name here) yesterday with a weed eater cleaning up the fairways to get it ready for the big (Insert local annual tournament name here) next week. I'm totally going to dominate the Rec division at that $%)&^!

You guys need to come check out (Repeat state name here)! Hit me up if you are ever in the area and i'll meet you to go play!!!:hfive:"

Off topic: what do you have to do to bid on worlds? what goes into it?

Go to a pdga summit meeting and tell the pdga board your city/course would like to host a Pro World's. You'll be the only one bidding and you'll be approved. Costs nothing if that was what you were asking.

Growing up in the Mountain State, I like to see so many positive words about our area. We have some of the best outdoor recreation areas in the country. To name a few: backpacking, hiking, camping, rock climbing, mountain biking, world-class whitewater rafting, skiing, snowboarding, and a growing number of disc golf courses.

I must also commend ohio and kentucky. The entire tri-state is somewhat underrated in terms of great courses. If you pass through the area, I'd highly recommend any of the following...

West Virginia
Indian Rock and Rotary Park - Huntington
Seth Burton and Orange Crush - Fairmont
Black and White Courses - Moundsville

Ohio
Deis Hill - Dover
Arborerum / Spiker - Canton
Brent Hambrick - Columbus
Forked Run - Reedsville
Mount Airy - Cincinnati
Great Seal - Chillicothe

Kentucky
Idlewild - Burlington
Banklick: Lincoln Ridges - Independence
Armco Park - Ashland

^^^sigh. Looks like I'll bag most of the 18s in the OR/WA I-5 corridor, courses in and north of Boise, and maybe a fall swing through N. CA/Tahoe/Reno, but some of the fabled places like MI/OH/NC/PA will just have to wait till I can "Dewgarita" my life a bit more than it already is. :p :D

I don't really think you can go by ratings a lot of times on this site because as other posts have said, they are biased and different people from different areas like different things. I think if your state has been host to an NT, Major, or Worlds then it is on the map and not underrated. That being said, I have not played many states outside of my home state of Mississippi, but I think it could be considered underrated. I never hear of people playing here, so I don't think people even give some of the courses here the time of day. We have a few par 60 courses that will challenge anyone with big hills and thick woods. The Rez in Jackson is par 54, but has 3 locations all of which challenge anyone. Multiple state parks with multiple courses. Tishomingo State Park has 3 good courses in one location, Tombigbee State Park has 2 great courses in one area, Trace State Park has a blue level course with 2 tees and a par 69 gold course which will be permanent in the next few weeks after baskets arrive, Lake Lowndes State Park has a blue level course with 2 sets of tees and a gold course that is par 69 that is not permanent, 2 gold level courses on the campus of Mississippi State University.

I think if it were more centralized it would be better because there are some courses here that are bad. However, we have tons of great courses here in Mississippi and I have left out a few. If this states good courses were played more than it's bad courses I think it would be on the map.

The problem with things like this however is that people are biased. I think Mississippi is underrated but others think their state is. It is cool to see everyones opinion though :thmbup:

I agree that Miss as a whole is under rated, but The Rez is over rated(3.5 at best). Chautauqua is a much better course i n my opinion, even without concrete Tpads :popcorn:

Can't say I was overly impressed on my first visit thru MS this past month but it may have been the courses I played (Both at Wall Doxey and Veterans).

Slowroll, you should copyright that fill-in-the-blank response now and start collecting royalties on it.

Since nobody limited this to United States, I'll submit the independent state of Finland.

Most underrated disc golf states in my opinion are Iowa and Arizona.

Iowa has a ton of really nice challenging "prairie style" golf courses. Being from MN and whole heartedly believing our disc golf is superior to everywhere else, it was hard to convince me to drive down to Iowa to play disc. I'm glad I did.

Arizona is underrated because of Phoenix and Flagstaff. Phoenix has terrible disc golf. Flagstaff has AWESOME disc golf. Most people have only played Phoenix courses so they have a lower opinion of Arizona as a whole. Only Phoenix deserves this bad reputation.

Of the limited number of states I've played, I think South Carolina is a little bit under-rated. Of the states I would like to visit to play some new courses, I have the greatest amount of hope, compared to how much "buzz" there is, for Iowa.

I think I'll agree with Iowa. My first reaction regarding Iowa in this thread was that there is quite a bit of hype, I think much of this hype is self generated after having passed through the state like 10 times and continuing to be impressed by it.

Looking back at my first DG trip through Iowa I remember being genuinely surprised at how great the courses are. If there was much hype, the courses surpassed anything I was expecting, and continues to impress on each venture through.

Iowa = medium level of hype
Courses = blow you out of the water, many solid destination areas, and hidden gems all over the place. Plus an endless supply of boring 9ers to up the course count. In my top 5 states for sure.

And since it's been brought up several times, I'll touch on my feelings towards Texas.

Texas = High level of hype

Courses = Live up to the hype, many destination areas, high number of courses overall with many filler/uneventful, but also many great high caliber courses. Great scene and active community - I only mention it because I believe the variety of Texas communities are notches above average. In my top 5 states played as well. But in the context of this discussion, I do not find Texas to be "Underhyped", doesn't exceed expectations (maybe by a little in some areas), merely lives up to them.

And since it's been brought up several times, I'll touch on my feelings towards Texas.

Texas = High level of hype

Courses = Live up to the hype, many destination areas, high number of courses overall with many filler/uneventful, but also many great high caliber courses. Great scene and active community - I only mention it because I believe the variety of Texas communities are notches above average. In my top 5 states played as well. But in the context of this discussion, I do not find Texas to be "Underhyped", doesn't exceed expectations (maybe by a little in some areas), merely lives up to them.

Well put. Very, well put. We have four very diverse scenes austin, dallas, houston, and SA. Even west texas and el paso are getting some great new courses.

You need to come back down and play selah ranch courses. I just spent a second w/e there and its two to pnotch courses(esp creekside from the longs)/ Mark my words, It will be in the top ten by July.

Didn't go through all the pages to check but I'm throwing out New York - Specifically the Upstate area. Rochester and Buffalo have like 12 AWESOME courses between the two cities - Parma DGC (Roc), Bakers Farm DGC (Roc), Basil-Marella (Roc; Short but super tech) Black Diamond (B-Lo) Chestnut Ridge (B-Lo) Shorewinds (in between Roc/B-Lo) Those are all awesome, fun courses that I hardly see any love for on here...

Pennsylvania = Relatively high level of hype, courses often featured on DGM, cheerleaders like opti, 2 in top 10 on DGCR.

Courses = Awesome. Lives up to the hype, great showcase of east coast style courses. Nearly every course was unique and standout, very few boring filler courses in between. Underhyped? A little. Met and exceeded any expectations that I had. Definitely in my top 10 states, right around #5 or 7.

Latest posts