• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Mulligans: What is your philosophy

What is your philosophy on Mulligans

• I will empty my bag on every shot if I have to.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I am not going to use it on every shot, maybe one every other hole or so.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I try to limit my self to obvious errors on the tee and putting maybe two per nine.

Votes: 28 18.4%
  • Only if i end up OB or i see i have a very obstructed lie i will go ahead and do it. 1 - 2 a round

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • They leave a bad taste in my mouth but I will reshoot shots that end up in the water

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I play tournament level all the time, but i wont call out cardmates if playing casual

Votes: 38 25.0%
  • Mulligans are for weaklings, and you should be ashamed at your self if you use them.

Votes: 48 31.6%

• Total voters
Having mulligans available in a round that counts (like a charity event where they're sold) messes with my game mindset. Can't say I'm a fan.

I'll do a mulligan if it's a practice round and I wouldn't learn anything from playing the shot. Like if it hits a tree and ends up three feet left of where I am. I'll just mentally add a stroke and throw again.

If it's in any way competitive or I'm with anyone, no mulligans ever.

Many of us here in the Seattle area play by the "Geezer's rule" in honor of Ralph Williamson #0010. That means you get two drives on the first tee and you take the best one.

The group of old geezers I throw with use this rule as well...first tee only...after that no more mulligans. We all have Old Geezer's Disc Golf Club shirts, ...all of us in The Club are over 50.....

old geezers.png

Side note on mulligans: we have a geezer that throws with us named Wayne, he only throws for fun and could care less what his score is or what anyone thinks of his game...he takes so many do-overs, we now refer to them as Wayneovers.

For me, it depends on where I am playing. If I take a trip and play the courses in Sioux Falls, I don't take many mully's. A couple per course probably. Just so I can keep moving along..
But when I play in Pipestone, MN (which is much more often), no one is ever there. Then I tend to throw multiple shots per tee, try different lines, just focus in. If I throw a bad shot, I brush it off right away and try the shot again.. then I round em up and pick the worst lie out of them and play from it.. That's been my practice style lately. My way of making a 1 hr round into a 2 hour round, and I get some walking in. Really working on focus, form and consistency, all while keeping a laid back feel to my round..

The question might have been asked differently since there's rethrows and practice throws, we all know the difference first one being "I don't want that throw I'll toss another" and second "I'll play the first but I need to see if I can hit that line", I think most everyone does the second when playing solo, it's part of learning, the first one does you no good. Something that I do from time to time is if I throw extra ones, pick the worst one and use that for my next throw making the round harder on myself but learning to make shots from bad spots.

I only take a mulligan on the first tee shot of a casual round. As has been stated in this thread already, my mentality is that this is equivalent to hitting the reset button on a video game. During casual rounds when no one is behind me, I will throw multiple shots sometimes for practice, but I will only play my first disc for scoring purposes.

Charlotte Rules: 2 off the first! plus my own personal 2 putts at the first miss, but I play alone mostly so it ends up being throw the whole bag. This is problematic. I haven't lost a disc in years, but I have left like 15 because I forget to grab player D.

Personally, if I am preparing for an event, I have no problem 'emptying' my bag to try to figure out different lines. And most of the time I'm going to be by myself or with a fellow competitor. I don't want to second guess what disc to throw at the box during a tournament. There is already enough to think about as it is. But that last practice round, I try to limit myself to one or two shots. And really focus on a solid strategy. I'm also not afraid to grab some putters and throw a handful of upshots on several holes, as well as throwing some putts from different spots around the baskets.

Repetition is key!

Last edited:
I voted empty the bag! Honestly I'm in line with the sane people MrButlertron being the most concise.

I love throwing multiples and putting from both but that's practice not really a mulligan. I am intrigued by the first tee mully if I was playing singles that might be acceptable. When I practice I often putt the worst drive... or I stop throwing drives when I shank one.. More throwing less walking.

Last edited:
I have nothing but a bag of multiples for a reason. Why walk a course twice when you can throw out multiples on each hole anyways?

So here's a question related to this, if you throw a second, third, fourth, etc of the tee and it "aces", then do you call it one and mark your disc?

I have nothing but a bag of multiples for a reason. Why walk a course twice when you can throw out multiples on each hole anyways?

You(and half the other people in here) seem to be confused about what a mulligan actually is.

So here's a question related to this, if you throw a second, third, fourth, etc of the tee and it "aces", then do you call it one and mark your disc?

It's called a cubby ace, which is really just a nice practice shot, not an ace. But as with mulligans, if lying to yourself makes you feel better, mark it a 1.

If I am practicing on the course, I might throw many drives, approaches putts.

WhenI am playing a competitive round, I play my initial throw no matter what. Two different mentalities, so it depends on what I am doing that day.

If I'm playing by myself I will throw as many shots as I want. Mulligan is the wrong term. I will definitely throw multiple shots a tee. Even if my first one is parked, I may throw 2-3 more shots. I still keep note of my first shot and play from there going forward.

If I am playing with others I will most likely never throw more than one shot unless it is a dedicated practice round or a course that I may not have played and want to try different lines.

If it is a charity tournament, I buy the mulligans and use them. I'm in no danger of finishing better than mid-pack even with them. Casual rounds with my friends; if it is a course we haven't played in a while, we each get one mulligan for the whole round, otherwise, no mulligans. (no O.B. either, if you play it where it lies...)
If I am playing alone, I'll throw multiple drives or upshots if I am auditioning discs for my bag, but only play and score from the first shot. No mulligans, just opportunities for awesome recovery shots.

I sometimes will throw a second disc on a shot during practice rounds to confirm my original choice of disc or lines but only play the original throw and only count the first throws when keeping score. I firmly believe that playing what I throw, good or bad, has helped me to develop a very solid rescue game.

Latest posts