• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Official Thread) (Part V)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Looks like a more overstable Envy to me which sounds great. I'm not sure MVP can make a gyro Zone. That might have to be a Streamline mold b/c I don't think the overmold plastic is slick enough for really good skips and that's a significant feature of the Zone.

Can you illuminate how "slickness" of plastic determines the skip of a disc? I understand how nose angle, wing profile, surface conditions, and possibly the stiffness of a disc can all determine how a disc skips but I am unclear about "slickness" of a disc can affect that.

Got my 179 misprint Vertex yesterday very excited to give it a run today and see how it does. I'm glad I was tempted to take my 176 Skulboy off the wall. Big weight and fliptastic.. I think it might be fun, my 174 is too close to the Spin. I gotta take it to the wide open so I can power it up!

I realized I like MVP discs that are understable on the front end and still have a touch of late fade. Switch and 143g fission Photon also fit that bill.

Can you illuminate how "slickness" of plastic determines the skip of a disc? I understand how nose angle, wing profile, surface conditions, and possibly the stiffness of a disc can all determine how a disc skips but I am unclear about "slickness" of a disc can affect that.

iu

iu

iu

iu

iu

iu

iu

The phase and nitro skip as hard as any disc I have ever seen... I actually tried an intentional skip shot with a phase once and it flared so hard it landed upside down.

Gotcha! So the "slickness" of the 1.3 cm rim of the Zone is the determining factor on how well it skips? Don't disagree that the Zone skips well, I just don't think it has anything to do with an arbitrary "slickness" factor.

Gotcha! So the "slickness" of the 1.3 cm rim of the Zone is the determining factor on how well it skips? Don't disagree that the Zone skips well, I just don't think it has anything to do with an arbitrary "slickness" factor.

Not determining, but essential if you want the most skipping potential. A plastic that is slightly less susceptible to friction will skip better than one that is more, all other things being equal. Kinda like shaving every bit of weight on a race car so it will go faster.

Not determining, but essential if you want the most skipping potential. A plastic that is slightly less susceptible to friction will skip better than one that is more, all other things being equal. Kinda like shaving every bit of weight on a race car so it will go faster.

Agreed, but from my observations, firmness trumps slickness. That is why I get so p!$$ed off when I order an over-stable disc and it comes in a flexible plastic. Maybe forehand dominate players might want OS and flexible, but I find it useless backhand.

Agreed, but from my observations, firmness trumps slickness. That is why I get so p!$$ed off when I order an over-stable disc and it comes in a flexible plastic. Maybe forehand dominate players might want OS and flexible, but I find it useless backhand.

Exactly. The amount of surface area that a disc touches the ground on a skip is small, especially if it a P/A like the Zone or any other gyro. That is why nose angle, speed, firmness of the plastic, and the ground surface have way more to do with the actual texture of the disc since only about 1.5cm is actually touching the ground. It might be that since the gyro rim is weighted more it leads to less force going back into the disc when it hits the ground.

Hey if anyone thought "damn I wish they made a 180g Proxy" then a heavy Vertex may be for you. Very cool long turnovers, I wish I had more space on my downhill driveway shot.. I think it was comin back.

Played a round with it, decent.. Everything I like about a broken in Tangent +10g. I don't know why I never clicked with the Theory... or the Proxy... it will give me better separation with my Spins.. The 174 was too redundant.

Last edited:
Hey if anyone thought "damn I wish they made a 180g Proxy" then a heavy Vertex may be for you. Very cool long turnovers, I wish I had more space on my downhill driveway shot.. I think it was comin back.

Played a round with it, decent.. Everything I like about a broken in Tangent +10g. I don't know why I never clicked with the Theory... or the Proxy... it will give me better separation with my Spins.. The 174 was too redundant.

You know what another name for Proxy is?

Alias.

If you want a 180g Proxy, that's where you can find it.

You know what another name for Proxy is?

Alias.

If you want a 180g Proxy, that's where you can find it.

No **** eh? I thought the Alias was more Buzzz kind of stable.. Maybe that is Proxyish.. I hadn't tried one of those yet. Probably a better option for most than a Vertex.

Yeah I'm not recommending people go out and buy a Vertex the general consensus is they're goofy. I like goofy discs.

Status
Not open for further replies.