• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Official Thread) (Part V)

Status
Not open for further replies.
gyro discs are pretty unforgiving if you are throwing nose up they don't like it.

I wonder if this is why a Lift doesn't act nearly as understable as it's listed to me? Or are they just that stable because they don't 'have teh gyro'? These discs are a new world for me

In answer to BillF.. Yeah gyro discs are pretty unforgiving if you are throwing nose up they don't like it. Generally I would say the speed rating should be a notch or two higher and that most people would benefit with going 5-7g less than normal.

I would also add that gyro discs seem to prefer rotational force over vector force. They are a strong armers nightmare, but fly beautifully for guys with good spin even if you don't throw hard.

. . . For example...Inertia (9/5/-2/2) vs Valkyrie (9/4/-2/2). The Valkyrie is more consistent and gets more distance than the Inertia. Same with a Resistor and Rival....the Rival performs way better than the Resistor. It makes me think I must be doing something wrong when I throw a MVP/Axiom disc. Or maybe gyro discs just aren't for me.

For me, Inertia and Valkyrie fly very similarly. But you have to use what works for your throw.

Banshee is a better comparable for Resistor. Rival is more of a Teebird "rival". :D

I haven't figured out how to quote multiple posts....so, for everyone who has responded so far...thank you.

If I'm understanding correctly, gyro discs are more unforgiving of nose angle and speed. So when I try them next time, I need to make sure I throw nose down properly and don't "strong arm" them. I'll give that a try. I really like the feel of the gyro discs I have, so I'd like them to work - I just have to figure out how to make it so.

I haven't figured out how to quote multiple posts....so, for everyone who has responded so far...thank you.

If I'm understanding correctly, gyro discs are more unforgiving of nose angle and speed. So when I try them next time, I need to make sure I throw nose down properly and don't "strong arm" them. I'll give that a try. I really like the feel of the gyro discs I have, so I'd like them to work - I just have to figure out how to make it so.

Yeah, that's a pretty fair summary. Arm speed is still relevant, just not as big of a factor as your snap. If you don't get the disc spinning properly than it will hyzer out way earlier than the numbers would indicate.

I find my gyro discs fly pretty similarly both backhand and forehand, whereas with traditional molds my disc flies way more understable on a flick shot. I can actually flick a Proxy and get it to hold pretty straight rather than turn and burn...thanks to my ugly low spin forehand form :D

Yeah, that's a pretty fair summary. Arm speed is still relevant, just not as big of a factor as your snap. If you don't get the disc spinning properly than it will hyzer out way earlier than the numbers would indicate.

I find my gyro discs fly pretty similarly both backhand and forehand, whereas with traditional molds my disc flies way more understable on a flick shot. I can actually flick a Proxy and get it to hold pretty straight rather than turn and burn...thanks to my ugly low spin forehand form :D

It's funny to me because I have a very high speed but moderate spin forehand throw, so when a disc is throw at max speed for me(75+mph) it will turn a good bit, but when it runs out of gas the fade can be pretty abrupt.

Whereas my backhand is much slower (never gotten over 65) but has a good amount of snap so they are overall much straighter on average, even though they don't go as far.

For those that have thrown both - how does the insanity compare to the mantis? My primary 'want' in terms of flight in my bag is that mantis flight (some turn, some fade, not too much of either where working multiple angles is tough) but with a mold that is actually in stock - and a mold that I can pick up locally

I haven't thrown a Mantis in a long time but they seem slower than Insanity if I remember correctly. The Undertaker reminds me most of the Insanity, especially the Undys that glide a bit.

I haven't thrown a Mantis in a long time but they seem slower than Insanity if I remember correctly. The Undertaker reminds me most of the Insanity, especially the Undys that glide a bit.

I'm probably trying to find something I don't need them 😅. I have plenty of undertakers in all flavors. Maybe I need a sidewinder to compliment them.

nomad-pdga-announcement_v2.jpg

Max Weight: 176.0gr
Diameter: 21.2cm
Height: 2.0cm
Rim Depth: 1.4cm
Rim Thickness: 1.1cm
Inside Rim Diameter: 19.0cm
Rim Depth / Diameter Ratio: 6.6%
Rim Configuration: 51.00
Flexibility: 8.86kg

^^yeah, we need more gyro putters.

^^^^^^ what he said.

Out of the entire lineup, the putters are the only ones that don't seem to have big glaring holes. So yeah, lets make another one......color me confused......

Unless this is something JC had a hand in? Nomad seems to fit in more with him more than it does the rest of the MVP naming convention.

^^^^^^ what he said.

Out of the entire lineup, the putters are the only ones that don't seem to have big glaring holes. So yeah, lets make another one......color me confused......

Unless this is something JC had a hand in? Nomad seems to fit in more with him more than it does the rest of the MVP naming convention.

It also looks like it has a gnarly bead on it which is something he likes. Iirc, the JKs are big beads

That all adds up every pro wants their own special putter.. Now we know why nothing else is getting done. :D

I played a fun round in the yard blue/yellow ohms vs envys.. Good time, yellow won. Couple aces on one first throw one cubby. Either way mostly hot.. Forgot how good my 100' and in line drive was with the envy. Been playing ohm/comet rounds same thing blues against yellows. Still not sure where my yard envy's went, I was amazed at how clean my putting stash was!! Damn they look new, for me anyways my two regulars are thrashed but still stable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts