• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Official Thread) (Part V)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Proton Trace is more US than my Neutron or Plasma.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I just picked up an Envy in Electron and one in Cosmic Neutron. Beautiful discs with wonderful flights. The electron Envy went straight into the bag. The flight plate on the cosmic neutron was a little too slick out of the box for the fan grip I'm using, which I assume would just wear out with time or a little application of grit of some sort. The two discs don't seem to fly appreciably differently?

Which leads to a question. The overmold plastic for both these discs seems to be the same? Does that mean that, generally speaking, the general tendencies regarding how premium plastic effects flight characteristics and wear don't apply to these discs? If so, is this true of MVP produced discs in general?

Weird. My electron Envy is my straight and/or turnover putter.

My cosmic neutron Envy will generally hold a hyzer and always gives me that lovely 1.5 - 2 type of fade.

Weird. My electron Envy is my straight and/or turnover putter.

My cosmic neutron Envy will generally hold a hyzer and always gives me that lovely 1.5 - 2 type of fade.

My understanding of how premium plastics lead to more stable flight (when new) is that premium plastics shrink less when minimizing the slight downward curl that happens as the disc cools.

This wouldn't seem to particularly apply to over molded discs, or not in the same way.

But maybe I need to work the slickness out of the CN one and see what happens.

My brother gave me a few MVP discs, but I only really like the Pilot (honestly could be my driver as bad as I am). In fact I think I returned the Entropy to him since it just went nowhere. Also have an Ion that really wobbles for me and a Tesla that usually takes a hard left.

Maybe they're just not beginner friendly discs? Might give them another try later but production has to catch up first.

Rasta... throw that electron for a month or two and see haha.. My soft electrons took about a month before they started changing.

Tilted... as for beginner discs Pilot is good, Ion should be decent too as a stable complement. Relays are really good for a beginner driver, Tesla is pretty beefy especially if it's heavy, a 155 fission is pretty cool though. MVP discs do not like a nose up throw.

JP.. My neutron atom reminds me of an Envy but straighter with a touch of turn

Last edited:
My brother gave me a few MVP discs, but I only really like the Pilot (honestly could be my driver as bad as I am). In fact I think I returned the Entropy to him since it just went nowhere. Also have an Ion that really wobbles for me and a Tesla that usually takes a hard left.

Maybe they're just not beginner friendly discs? Might give them another try later but production has to catch up first.

Overmolded discs (MVP/Axiom) like to be thrown a little harder with clean spin compared to traditional discs. It's kind of a training aid in a way, learning to throw the Ion made me a much better frolfer.

Entropy and Tesla are a bit fast and/or overstable for some beginners. Relay, Spin, Proxy, Atom, Pilot, Crave, Reactor, Matrix, Anode, Signal, etc are all useful for beginners.

I just picked up an Envy in Electron and one in Cosmic Neutron. Beautiful discs with wonderful flights. The electron Envy went straight into the bag. The flight plate on the cosmic neutron was a little too slick out of the box for the fan grip I'm using, which I assume would just wear out with time or a little application of grit of some sort. The two discs don't seem to fly appreciably differently?

Which leads to a question. The overmold plastic for both these discs seems to be the same? Does that mean that, generally speaking, the general tendencies regarding how premium plastic effects flight characteristics and wear don't apply to these discs? If so, is this true of MVP produced discs in general?

ScotchBrite pad and then rub some mud into the top and bottom of flight plate, wipe clean and repeat a couple times.

The overmold plastic for both these discs seems to be the same?

No, the overmold plastic for Electron discs is different from the overmold plastic for premium discs! That's one reason why they beat in faster. If I remember correctly they had the problem that a premium rim would not stick to an Electron core in a way that satisfied them, which does not mean that it won't happen in the future.

The Breaker is probably my most thrown and trusted disc. I've never thrown an envy but just ordered one of the new eclipse runs so I'll report back after I've thrown it. I'm expecting the envy to be just a tick less stable and longer but I could have the wrong expectations. I do think they could probably fill the same slot though.

Looping back on this as I've now had a new rounds with the envy.

Breaker and the Envy will fill different spots. Much more fade on the Breaker and it holds up in wind better. I can basically throw the breaker as hard as I want and it won't turn over. The Envy is great though. More glide and I can throw it further. I can still throw it pretty hard without turning it over unlike my other throwing putters. There are number of holes that are too long and straight for the breaker but too short for my rift that the Envy is perfect for.

JP.. My neutron atom reminds me of an Envy but straighter with a touch of turn

They are very similar - no doubt. The feel is very close.

The neutron Atom is straighter - and I think it has more glide - or at very least - more forward finish. The Plasma Envy is probably the most similar to it - those have a hint of turn - but more fade than Neutron Atom. MVP gives Atom a 3 / 3 / 0 / 1 rating - I'd put the neutron at 3 / 4 / .5 / 1 give or take. It's very similar to the OHM in that it's a straight line flight - but it's faster - and has less glide - like an Envy.

I don't have a long drive and I'm not a great circle putter - but I've got 20+ years practice honeing my upshots. I'm known for hitting the + 100' shots with a putter. I found with OHM, i'd overshoot my angles - and Envy if I missed - would often finish with a roll - leaving me putting back. The Entropy sits down and the Atom doesn't glide past.

In the circle - my game has really improved with the N Atom. Apparently it's the perfect disc for me up close. I've been knocking down most of the 20-30' that I'd chain out or bang off the front with an Envy.

Yeah those neutron atoms almost beat the envy for my prime putter. They were the final two molds.. I coulda been Throwaàtom...

Got my Eclipse 2.0 envy's in the mail today.. Just heading home I'll throw em tonight, this is the " I just received it" post and holy crap!!!! They outdid themselves again with the eclipse, more gummy and grippy than the original run, very similar high shoulder to flat dome. Extremely sexy :D

Last edited:
Not to change subjects, but I know a lot of the newer runs are coming out a little different than their older counterparts. Has anyone thrown a new Thrill or Defy (are there even new Thrills/Defys out yet?)? Their numbers suggest they'd be perfect, but are both way more OS/not glidey as I remember.

I'm converting the few remaining non-gyro in my bag to MVP and I'm looking for a Force and first run Hurricane replacement. Photon is almost right, but a little too straight. I throw Traces for my main distance drivers and a Panic for my overstable slot, though the Panic is a little too long and glidey for what I'm looking for. I can hit 400 consistently with Traces, pushing past 450 with my Panic and Mayhem.

Not to change subjects, but I know a lot of the newer runs are coming out a little different than their older counterparts. Has anyone thrown a new Thrill or Defy (are there even new Thrills/Defys out yet?)? Their numbers suggest they'd be perfect, but are both way more OS/not glidey as I remember.

I'm converting the few remaining non-gyro in my bag to MVP and I'm looking for a Force and first run Hurricane replacement. Photon is almost right, but a little too straight. I throw Traces for my main distance drivers and a Panic for my overstable slot, though the Panic is a little too long and glidey for what I'm looking for. I can hit 400 consistently with Traces, pushing past 450 with my Panic and Mayhem.

After doing some belated research, I found out the Thrill is no longer in production :doh:

My question about the Defy still stands though

While not an MVP guy I did throw a Proto Nomad a couple times this weekend. I played the whole weekend with James Conrad's Dad Jim and he was throwing it a ton and also got the rest of us to toss it a time or two. As you would expect it is a beaded putter similar to a JK Aviar. Seemed a little flatter to me- almost like a JK/PA3 hybrid. Plastic was firm yet tacky and felt pretty good. Seemed pretty neutral/stable as you would expect.

God knows if I threw it right to activate the gyro though... :D

2Vi32Nx.jpg

Package received thanks to a kind DGCR member, didn't think I'd have a melon Envy in the collection!

Last edited:
Anyone in the FB gyro group see the new disc announcement from Steve Hollaway?

"With that said, we are planning on the Hex being the next up in our new model releases, so keep your eyes peeled for that!

Flight numbers are: 5 | 5 | -1 | 1

The Hex shares a core with the Reactor, and keeping in true Axiom fashion can be described as a seasoned Reactor. High power throwers should expect an absolute laser beam out of the box, and medium to low power throwers will see a long gentle fade. While brand new the Hex isn't going to flip over when thrown flat, you will see it drift to the right (on a RHBH throw) and finish with the typical GYRO® enhanced fade at the end.

For people who were huge fans of the Axis, you should definitely keep your eyes peeled for the Hex. It feels a tic faster (because of the lower profile), but is that sweet spot that I think you are going to absolutely love."

Status
Not open for further replies.