• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Official Thread) (Part V)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The gyro discs are flat topped, that works best for me with forehands. I find a disc with dome works best with my backhand. I've tried both the Insanity and Servo backhand, but when I pick them up, I naturally go to a forehand grip. But when I pick up a disc like the Falk, Gateway Spear, etc...they just feel more natural for a backhand throw.

Geez looking for a dome eh? That could be tough..

A fission volt maybe in the ballpark I think it's 8 5 -1 2

The falk hard to say, I kinda thought the ryhthm might be there with the #'s.. But I don't have one.. I have a soft falk and it's pretty awesome (it was a gift) I don't have any MVP disc in the bag that throws that far and easy. The relay is its closest cousin with a little dome. Pick one up and check the feel. They are damn good discs.

Envy is an excellent choice. Period... haha. It's a little more stable than the atom but not much. The ion is the Wizard twin kind of but I feel like the envy has almost the same flight with better turn resistance and a longer flat flight. A light electron envy will do much of what a proxy will do and they are an inexpensive place to start.

My whole bag is pretty much envy's, tesla's, uplinks and relays. A soft electron envy does my straight shots, anny's and low fade ones. A premium envy does straight to fade buzzz kinda duties and putting.
My uplink does proxy and relay turnover touch stuff. The relay does control driver, tesla does eagle through teebird and firebird stuff depending on plastic type and weight. I'm also a lightweight thrower for the most part

Threw it in the field with a couple nice Wraiths and a Grace. Short review - it flies like a slightly OS Wraith for me. I'm FH dominant and can throw Wraiths 350+, Grace a bit further. My numbers for the Zenith would be 11/4/-.50/2.5.

Was definitely getting a little better distance and glide with the Wraith and Grace, Zenith might be a different animal if you throw 400+ or after some wear.

Interesting. I've only thrown my Zenith twice, but it felt slightly less stable than my Star Wraith.

Does the Fission still age quicker than the other premiums? I remember that was the thing i liked most about it when it first came out. Back then, if you lost a seasoned N or P driver, you were pretty much S.O.L. for awhile unless you really, intentionally, beat the hell out one. I have a couple Neutron discs that still haven't changed much in the 7 or so years that I've had them. My Crave is from 2014 and still doesn't turn much, if at all, though it did finally lose some of it's fade. My Resistor is even older and is the same. No turn but lost some fade.

But the Fission would actually age like discs from other brands. My FR fizz Photon has a nice gentle turn to it and just sails...

EDIT: I guess i should have read the next post, lol...

I'll let you know in a few months. I love the used Neutron Volt I picked up a few months ago, so I picked up a couple of Fissions to see if I can beat them in to fill out my straight and understable fairway slots to give me an all-Volt fairway lineup.

Interesting and helpful, both. I like that MVP's profiles are generally compact and flat, but I can understand preferring the domed feel for certain things. The flight numbers were closely comparable, and so this helps illuminate where we're wanting to diverge.

I think the Fission Volt has a domier profile in that 8/9 speed category. Maybe a Proton Crave to pair with the Servo? The Fission Craves may also have a little more shape but not a ton.

Combining comments, the Proton Pyro definitely has a domier profile, but it's also more OS than the Runway, especially at lower speeds. Feel may be right but the use may be wrong. The Plasmas are definitely flatter.

The falk hard to say, I kinda thought the ryhthm might be there with the #'s.. But I don't have one.. I have a soft falk and it's pretty awesome (it was a gift) I don't have any MVP disc in the bag that throws that far and easy. The relay is its closest cousin with a little dome. Pick one up and check the feel. They are damn good discs.

Envy is an excellent choice. Period... haha. It's a little more stable than the atom but not much. The ion is the Wizard twin kind of but I feel like the envy has almost the same flight with better turn resistance and a longer flat flight. A light electron envy will do much of what a proxy will do and they are an inexpensive place to start.

My whole bag is pretty much envy's, tesla's, uplinks and relays. A soft electron envy does my straight shots, anny's and low fade ones. A premium envy does straight to fade buzzz kinda duties and putting.
My uplink does proxy and relay turnover touch stuff. The relay does control driver, tesla does eagle through teebird and firebird stuff depending on plastic type and weight. I'm also a lightweight thrower for the most part

Both of you are suggesting the Fission Volt, so I definitely think I'll try one of those. With its numbers it might even be a disc that fills two spots - it could fill the Maverick spot along with being a distance driver.

I'm heading out to one of the disc shops I frequent this Saturday and will be looking to pick up some of the other discs you are both suggesting. But I'll definitely be getting a Volt to try.

I agree the Falk is an awesome disc....I've had two of them. Both went over walls at different courses and into people's back yards. I'm not jumping walls (trespassing) for a disc. One I never got back and the other one came back after their dog found it. So I'm taking the hint....the Falk is an awesome disc, but I need to find something else (that will stay away from walls).

And dome-wise, yeah, the gyro just doesn't seem to have it. But I keep hoping. I go to disc stores and handle the gyro discs they have to see if I can find discs that at least feel right in my hand for backhands.

I agree the Falk is an awesome disc....I've had two of them. Both went over walls at different courses and into people's back yards. I'm not jumping walls (trespassing) for a disc. One I never got back and the other one came back after their dog found it. So I'm taking the hint....the Falk is an awesome disc, but I need to find something else (that will stay away from walls).

And dome-wise, yeah, the gyro just doesn't seem to have it. But I keep hoping. I go to disc stores and handle the gyro discs they have to see if I can find discs that at least feel right in my hand for backhands.

While you are there feel up an envy and an ion.. I'm biased but many will say the envy is a gotta try gyro mold. You could also try the atom in a different plastic if it's working for you.

I'm also president of the uplink fan club :D.. They do a lot of fun shots and the new soft lighter ones seem to have dome

Both of you are suggesting the Fission Volt, so I definitely think I'll try one of those. With its numbers it might even be a disc that fills two spots - it could fill the Maverick spot along with being a distance driver.

I'm heading out to one of the disc shops I frequent this Saturday and will be looking to pick up some of the other discs you are both suggesting. But I'll definitely be getting a Volt to try.

I'm going off memory but the Maverick is kind of a Leopard type disc?

I have quite a few Volts in several different plastics and none of them fly anything like a Leopard.

It has become my favorite disc. I have about 375' (400 on occasion) of forehand drive distance for reference. I started with lightly-used Patent Pending Neutron, picked up a couple of Fissions, one at 163g and one at 175g, and just picked up a Plasma this weekend during Spinners' Labor Day sale. The Plasma definitely has a bit more glide, which makes it feel a bit more stable because it stays in the air longer.

Man I'm sure excited for the glitch... should be fun until the wind starts blowing haha. Damn just when my bag was slimmed down too.. I wish there was more test vids but they will come

I really like the stock stamp, for once I won't be ordering the SE

Still nailing it with the soft 170 uplink though.

Man I'm sure excited for the glitch... should be fun until the wind starts blowing haha. Damn just when my bag was slimmed down too.. I wish there was more test vids but they will come

I really like the stock stamp, for once I won't be ordering the SE

Still nailing it with the soft 170 uplink though.

The glitch is intriguing but given the weight range it will be offered in I don't think I will be putting one in my bag right now. I'm still waiting to see something for the Entropy...eclipse? soft neutron? electron? anything?

Every manufacturer is pushing their overstable approach discs with special blends or a larger variety of plastic types (toro, zone, harp, etc.). I'm honestly about to pull the trigger on a VIP harp and BT Medium harp as they are both available at my local store, where the Entropy has been run in electron maybe twice? and the last time was over a year ago at this point...It just seems odd to not give the entropy any type of love with the plastics they have available.

Yeah I'm kinda surprised they didn't run the electron entropy again after JC's ace last year.. The envy was guaranteed but if you watch how much he threw the electron entropy it was often. They maybe should have run a few less commemorative envy and done a run of electron entropy.

I don't use my entropy very often, I've got one 168 SE, good disc, I usually pull it out for the winter winds. I haven't seen another light one in any of the new runs.

I think a lot of people will avoid the glitch because of the weight, but I'm guessing with the overmold a light weight must have been the only way for it to work out as a glidey touch disc, the video I saw it still had a solid fade after a long nose up straight shot. If people want a heavy lid kind of disc they have the uplink and the paradox. The glitch will be more polecat kind of fun.

I guess that means maybe the Watt is going to be uber stable?

I have no insider knowledge when I say this, but that does seem to be the case. Every "official" cosmic disc I've thrown, as opposed to discs we'll just call natural swirls or leftover cosmic, has felt more overstable than their non-cosmic counterparts. That also seems to be the fan consensus.

Last week I picked up my first Cosmic a Photon and its far more overstable than the Fission Photon that fades and I've had for a few months. The Cosmic has some good skip and will be useful for those sharp doglegs on wooded courses.

I'm going off memory but the Maverick is kind of a Leopard type disc?

I have quite a few Volts in several different plastics and none of them fly anything like a Leopard.

Yes, the numbers are the same and the Maverick has replaced my Leopard. I may end up staying with my non-gyro discs, but I sure have been enjoying my gyro ones and that's why I'm considering going to an all gyro bag if I can get replacements for the discs I throw backhand with.

Yes, the numbers are the same and the Maverick has replaced my Leopard. I may end up staying with my non-gyro discs, but I sure have been enjoying my gyro ones and that's why I'm considering going to an all gyro bag if I can get replacements for the discs I throw backhand with.

I think you may struggle to find dome if that really is important to you. I really like the feel of the Terra in hand because it is a shade deeper than most MVP discs and really helps get a good grip on the disc.

Also...if you replaced the leopard with the maverick, I am not sure replacing the Maverick with a volt is right move. Leopards (at least for me) are pretty flippy and the volt handles a lot more like a hybrid between the teebird and thunderbird. Relays/Craves/Drift, etc are all a bit closer to what the Leopard is although Relay's can start out surprisingly stable and the Craves are not quite as understable as the Leopard.

I throw a mainly all gyro bag for a few different reasons...but MVP is having an odd year. They have gotten the Terra and Zenith out there which is great. They've gotten us a lot of discs in fission plastic which is great. But no tour series discs, no electron entropy, not as many glow discs (like...where the heck is the eclipse volt at? I know they did a 1.0 but where is the 2.0?) as I would have expected. They've done so well closing the gap between themselves and the big three but they seem a bit stagant this year.

Relay is the answer, according to leopard and numbers. Given your distance it would also fill a lot of roles if it feels like it has dome to you..it doesn't have much in neutron... the cosmic seems flatter.

Volt is still good but maybe not quite a direct replacement.

Did you get any new discs yet?

Relay is the answer, according to leopard and numbers. Given your distance it would also fill a lot of roles if it feels like it has dome to you..it doesn't have much in neutron... the cosmic seems flatter.

Volt is still good but maybe not quite a direct replacement.

Did you get any new discs yet?

I went to the disc store where I was planning on picking up some new discs (they also have three of my 'found' discs), but they were unexpectedly closed for the day. So I'm going out there Saturday.

I'm planning on picking up a Fission Volt and now a Relay....I'll 'handle' their Relays to see what feels best in my hand for throwing backhands. But ultimately, I may end up sticking with what I have since you and others have pointed out that gyro really doesn't come in domey versions. But I will see what I can find and I am interested in trying a Volt and Relay. The Volt is actually seeming to be a disc in between my Falk and Maverick....and might end up being one disc that fills both spots. But, I have to get one and field test it.

I have a domey Volt. I would say it flies like a beefy Thunderbird. I actually pulled the Felon out of my bag for a bit and was using that Volt instead. My flat Volts are more like slightly longer Teebirds.

Status
Not open for further replies.