• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Official Thread) (Part V)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Matrix is starting to push on a 300' shot, which means it's getting a micro amount of turn to stay straight longer and delay the fade. It doesn't have a 3 part flight yet. I can see the potential for it to become a nice turning disc in time. I almost grabbed a Neutron with a high PL and an Electron yesterday to try to go full-on Matrix, but I got a Pyro and P Atom instead. Maybe next time.

If they flew like a Buzz for me I would have bagged them over the Axis, but for me the HSS seemed like -1. My Axis flies more HSS.

When putters like the Envy or Pilot or Entropy fly 300' consistently, what's a midrange driver actually for?

301'-350' shots, lower flying lines, etc.

Don't get this reasoning at all. I've thrown the Envy 450' but I still carry mids and drivers.

No matter how far you can throw a putter, a mid is likely to give you an extra 20' and handle lower lines better.

I tried to like the Matrix, and I ...DO, but. It's not a Buzzz, and I find that the #'s are correct 5/4/-1/2 but that -1 turn is tough to dial in when trying to throw a straight tunnel shot - it needs finesse or a hyzerflip and then its hard to gauge the fade. sometimes I finesse too much, other times too little. So it can be touchy for tight lines for me. I prefer the Alias for LASERS and the Buzzz for longer lasers - and the MD4 for a more OS buzz....and recently the Runway for OS mid, digging my setup

MVP needs to make a mid like the Mako3, 5,5,0,0. If Gyro works MVP should be able to make it even more stable(straighter) and with less fade.

:popcorn:

In the least if you are going to make putters that fly far you need to make mids that fly far.

MVP needs to make a mid like the Mako3, 5,5,0,0. If Gyro works MVP should be able to make it even more stable(straighter) and with less fade.

:popcorn:

In the least if you are going to make putters that fly far you need to make mids that fly far.

IMHO, I think the Mako3 and Alias are basically the same.. They're pretty darn close for me. Alias might have a little more of the gyro effect that you are mentioning but neither really have much fade... My proxy also flies like mako3, maybe slightly shorter but not a lot.

exactly - the ceiling, and the shot shape determine the type of disc WAY more than the distance. There are short shots that McBeth throws high-speed drivers and other players on the same card throw a putter. also the super long holes he throws a mid or putter when its Driver distance. All depends on the ceiling, the shape, the finish, the ground-play and the wind. So yeah, Mids are really important, but if I'm playing a wide open course I may not use any. Just depends. I use certain fairway drivers for low ceiling shots where the distance may call for a putter or mid. All depends.

I favor a putter for most short range shots. Didn't use to. Use to throw Firebirds or Teebirds. But these days, I'll reach for my Envys or Entropys. I have 7 Envys in my cart at the moment ranging from 165-175 in Eclipse and Plasma plastic. Because I carry a range of weights, that's probably different from guys who throw all max weight everything.

301'-350' shots, lower flying lines, etc.

Don't get this reasoning at all. I've thrown the Envy 450' but I still carry mids and drivers.

No matter how far you can throw a putter, a mid is likely to give you an extra 20' and handle lower lines better.

I throw 165 Eclipse Envys where I use to throw mids or fairways. I get better control and similar distance. That's what works for me.

There are many shots that a putter cannot replicate a mids flight. Here are but a few:

1. Being pinched off and forced to throw standstill from akward footing. Even if one has a good forehand, sometimes the line requires a backhand. Being in awkward footing will sap the amount of power one is able to generate. A mid can get more distance without sacrificing accuracy. Comets and Rocs both are excellent for this shot.

2. Downhill low ceiling bending shots. A putter won't have the glide to make both the bend and the distance whilst drivers will stall out. The lower stall speed of the mids allow for the shot to be shaped more.

There are plenty more, including ones already mentioned, but those highlight why nagging mids make playing heavy woods courses easier.

The issue I, and most others that have tried to use MVP mids in my area, is that they have high stall speeds. The Matrix and Alais being the exceptions. The Matrix I have not found in firm plastic. The Alais is closer to being a putter anyway; if the Enthropy is a putter, so is the Alais.

Last edited:
i solved all mvp mid problems by throwing discraft mids

You are always barking up this tree but nary have you ever given any concrete rationale. What is it about MVP mids that has your panties in a twist? What is it about Discraft mids that just makes you tingle? Just saying so doesn't make it the case.

You are always barking up this tree but nary have you ever given any concrete rationale. What is it about MVP mids that has your panties in a twist? What is it about Discraft mids that just makes you tingle? Just saying so doesn't make it the case.

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

i throw wasp and buzz

wasp = vector was very plus rimmed and some were domey and some were flat and all over the board in stability

buzz = axis was glidey and pushed around in wind

theory was a great mold but didnt fill a gap in my bag

matrix has an odd sharpness to the gyro and kinda a dud in flight and buzz has way moar d

tangent was a shorter buzz ish disc with nothing much to offer that my ion couldnt

never threw the tensor alias or vertex and im not convinced im missing anything

discraft are mostly flat and mostly fly the same off the shelf you can fh or bh them they have great combo of glide with d that can still tame wind and i enjoy my speedy mids

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

i throw wasp and buzz

wasp = vector was very plus rimmed and some were domey and some were flat and all over the board in stability

buzz = axis was glidey and pushed around in wind

theory was a great mold but didnt fill a gap in my bag

matrix has an odd sharpness to the gyro and kinda a dud in flight and buzz has way moar d

tangent was a shorter buzz ish disc with nothing much to offer that my ion couldnt

never threw the tensor alias or vertex and im not convinced im missing anything

discraft are mostly flat and mostly fly the same off the shelf you can fh or bh them they have great combo of glide with d that can still tame wind and i enjoy my speedy mids

Thanks for your input. I never gelled with any MVP mids. The core of the issue is the insistence on arbitrary flight numbers tied to similar disc dimensions. We all know that similar dimensions don't equal similar flight with gyro discs. I think the biggest issue is that most MVP mids lack the "glide" of their competitors. Not sure it is possible with the weighted rims though. Forward movement but not that floaty glide of the Buzzz or Wasp. And while you claim that all the Buzzes you have thrown are similar. I have found the opposite -- a wider range of variance compared to MVP. Hopefully MVP is able to get this right. I do like the Pyro though. And I know that others have issues with Electron but so far I have like the E Matrix more than the other plastics. It is super straight. Working on getting one beat to a nice turnover disc.

Thanks for your input. I never gelled with any MVP mids. The core of the issue is the insistence on arbitrary flight numbers tied to similar disc dimensions. We all know that similar dimensions don't equal similar flight with gyro discs. I think the biggest issue is that most MVP mids lack the "glide" of their competitors. Not sure it is possible with the weighted rims though. Forward movement but not that floaty glide of the Buzzz or Wasp. And while you claim that all the Buzzes you have thrown are similar. I have found the opposite -- a wider range of variance compared to MVP. Hopefully MVP is able to get this right. I do like the Pyro though. And I know that others have issues with Electron but so far I have like the E Matrix more than the other plastics. It is super straight. Working on getting one beat to a nice turnover disc.

admittedly i havent bought a new buzz in probably over 5 years they did vary before such as glow were moar os and sometimes you would get a gross domey one too i did read of people getting flippy crap ones or drone like ones but i never experienced that but as with all companies there is some variance

also there are some domey wasps out there too :sick::gross:

i hate electron and its stickiness it feels like sap is stuck on

but i think mvp plaz is the best plastic ever so if they made wasps in plaz i would buy hundreds

really neither discraft or mvp has great plastics to "cycle" if anyone is into that

Status
Not open for further replies.