• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Official Thread) (Part V)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will a proton photon along with a few fissions in different wear stages cover my distance needs you think? I like my octane/mayhems for max distance but the photons would go almost as far and were easier to throw and more versatile. What about a nitro as an OS mayhem complement?

I have a bunch of heavyish speed 13s....Catalysts, Octanes, and Mayhems. All will get bullied by headwinds. My most stable are quite domey and don't cut wind well even if they stay on line. The Proton or Neutron Photon is very straight and predictable into a headwind and cuts well.

That being said, the speed 13s are very dynamic distance fliers that will outdistance a great Photon drive in the open with a mediocre throw. So I wouldn't knee jerk and abandon them...Just know their limits and be prepared for harsh conditions with alternative strategies.

Um duh? Are you the same person?

You cannot effectively extoll the virtues of your favorite discs if you never give anything else a fair comparison I guess. I also think the a overall quality of an average Volt has improved tremendously. I had an unlucky series of meh flying Volts come into my possesion over the years I wasn't playing much. For the most part I had been throwing the very first tester Volt MVP gave me...a flattish N with a straight flight and late fade. The other FR Ns I went through were all strange...either really domey or flat and a different flight from my preferred. The early Protons were flat as a board and had Zero high speed turn for me...not bad, but not a Volt I could throw for 75% of my tee shots. After that came 2 Eclipse and a Plasma Volt that were all 176-177. They fly like good Volts when I load up on them, but don't respond well to powering down at all.

I was beginning to worry that my favorite Volt was the freak rather than the norm. This was exacerbated by the flight #'s Proton Volt I bought at the beginning of the summer. It feels great, but flies weird. Under 300' it is my most OS Volt, but when thrown hard it has the most turn of all my Volts.

Now you can understand my excitement last week when I bought the first new N Volts that I had seen in person in years. Not only that, but they all weigh 174-175 (my preferred). Oddly they were stickered 173. The best part is that all 3 different color discs fly the way I've come to depend on a Volt flying. They are all pretty flat without being planar like those early Protons with the stormtrooper having the lowest shoulder. That white one flies the straightest and is pretty much identical in flight to my FR when fresh. It has a little slow turn that makes it very versatile and responsive to slighly different release angles. The 2nd one is a dayglo yellow/green that is overstable overall for a Volt, but still long and glidey and in character. The 3rd is an orange that falls right in the middle if the other two. I really like the feel of these discs with very stiff rims and stiff N cores that still have a bit of a rubbery feel.

I've never chunked a MVP/Axiom rim. I throw mostly heavy and I've gotten cuts and scrapes, but no chunks. The worst damage I've experienced was on my Phase from a thumber that came down on some rock. That disc has a uniquely thin rim though.

I've never chunked a MVP/Axiom rim. I throw mostly heavy and I've gotten cuts and scrapes, but no chunks. The worst damage I've experienced was on my Phase from a thumber that came down on some rock. That disc has a uniquely thin rim though.

I gave up on Teslas due to this. Single tree hits, hard impacts but nothing out of the ordinary.

Attachments

• IMG_20190401_100148.jpg
    IMG_20190401_100148.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 31
I know I've asked this sometime in the past but don't remember what the consensus was. If I start bagging my relay again what is a good fairway to pair with it that feels similar but is more stable. I generally only carry 2 fairways at a given time so keep that in mind. I've been considering the crave and the servo.

There are 2 kinds of gyro drivers, ones that have a giant chunk in the rim and ones that will have a giant chunk in the rim.

Not true. Some runs are soft rimed(those are the sucky ones) but I have a first run inertia that is over 5 years old with no big chunks taken out.... and I play on courses that are full of sharp rocks.

The soft rimmed ones...yeah, those are trash.

I know I've asked this sometime in the past but don't remember what the consensus was. If I start bagging my relay again what is a good fairway to pair with it that feels similar but is more stable. I generally only carry 2 fairways at a given time so keep that in mind. I've been considering the crave and the servo.

If you are only my going to bag one other, heavy Neutron Crave. Good glide but a firm finish.

Apparently so ☹️

I've had the same Inertia in the bag for most of the last year and haven't had issues. Kinda hard to commit to gyro when you don't know if the rim will hold up.

By soft rimmed I mean can you indent it with your thumbnail?

All the tough gryo discs I have, I have not been able to leave an indentation by pressing my thumbnail into the overmold.

I really like the Relay/Volt combo. It comes from the old school approach of having one slow glidey neutral to understable mold paired with another disc that resists turn and fades reliably with enough glide to stay flat and fade forward. The Leo and Teebird is the most classic example, but there are dozens of incarnations these days.

Besides the Relay/Volt being a great 1-2 punch stability-wise, the Volt will do the Relay's lines fairly well in headwinds/crosswinds. I also carry a heavy Impulse which feels and flies like a beat Volt and a Wrath for longer understable and harder fading shots.

Hey while I'm here I just got my ass handed to me in a tournament which cost me the series because it was super windy and my fission photons decided they no longer tolerate headwind. They're def worked in but I've never thrown a regular photon so wondering which plastic /weight will be reliable in a strong headwind without being fireball OS. Also open to other mold suggestions I may not have tried yet. Thanks.

How heavy are your fission photon's? And yes I have had similar issues with my 143's. I bag a Crave and Volt for those days. Last tourney I played in the wind last fall I changed my bag up.. Added the Crave. Then in the spring I played in Gale force winds and there was no saving my round. Ended up underpowering a Mayhem and using the Volt and afterwards bought a heavier proton sparkle Inertia.

Ponder.. If you haven't tried the Crave put one beside your Relay, Neutron or Proton.. I've found they make a tight combo. Volt is also good but it need to go 300ish to be appropriately powered up. Crave can do any distance.

By soft rimmed I mean can you indent it with your thumbnail?

All the tough gryo discs I have, I have not been able to leave an indentation by pressing my thumbnail into the overmold.

This is probably from too much weighting agent as MVP tries to find a balance between gyro performance and durability. Personally I've always liked the feel and flight of thicker flat or slightly concave wings on discs, which is partially why I bought into the idea of weighted overmolds so early. I may be talking out of my ass here, but it also seems that a thin nosed mold like the Tesla would need a lot of weight in the overmold to fly as intended without lacking carry/fading early.

Will a proton photon along with a few fissions in different wear stages cover my distance needs you think? I like my octane/mayhems for max distance but the photons would go almost as far and were easier to throw and more versatile. What about a nitro as an OS mayhem complement?

Yes. Makes sense re:eek:ctane mayhem if not throwing with a ton of power. Nitro will be much more OS. I didn't really like it at all vs the octane or mayhem and the photon for OS/hyzer distance stuff or skips etc.

Originally Posted by Mediocrefellow
I have a couple faster discs in my bag for utility duties but my main DD's are photons and Waves. I got short fingers for a bigger guy, so I never really could get a grip on anything 12speed or faster. Messed around with Terns for awhile but the Photon/Wave class just fits my hands perfectly. I never felt like I was handicapping myself self. Plus I have a friend who's got a 500+ arm and I've seen him throw them well over that. That class has plenty of distance in it...

I can't remember AIM, was that orbital shot on vid?

I agree with Aim about the Nitro, its a cow. Unless you have 450+ power, have a power flex FH or buy a very light one, you wont be able to get much out of it. I have one in the bag for utility shots. FHs, low skipping hyzers or sometimes around here when its 30+ wind.

Last edited:
How heavy are your fission photon's? And yes I have had similar issues with my 143's. I bag a Crave and Volt for those days. Last tourney I played in the wind last fall I changed my bag up.. Added the Crave. Then in the spring I played in Gale force winds and there was no saving my round. Ended up underpowering a Mayhem and using the Volt and afterwards bought a heavier proton sparkle Inertia.

Ponder.. If you haven't tried the Crave put one beside your Relay, Neutron or Proton.. I've found they make a tight combo. Volt is also good but it need to go 300ish to be appropriately powered up. Crave can do any distance.

Right now I'm experimenting with an even more trimmed back lineup which is:

Atom (x3)
Electron medium for putting only
Beat electron firm for US putter/mid (Theory replacement)
Seasoned neutron for straight/stable line-holder (tangent replacement)

Matrix
Proton Max Weight as a workhorse mid + OS putt/approach duties

Relay
Neutron 150 class for US mid and fairway duties + my woods workhorse for FH shot shaping, standstill turnovers, quick thumbers, uphill shots, everything a smooth anny or FH won't hit.

Crave
Plasma 170's Workhorse stable fairway holding lines and straight shots

Inertia x2
Flat seasoned neutron straight turnovers and lazy hyzer flips. Annys that need to hold but flatten a bit. Uphill skip shots.
Domed fresh neutron for long smooth turnovers that need to hold, rollers.

Wrath x2
Proton 166 and 175 for stable/OS ranged shots/hyzers + moderate winds

Fireball
Plasma 168 General OS duties (headwind/skips)

Octane
Seasoned Neutron 169 Wide open holes - pure max distance drives

My Octane will flip at 400'+ of power into anything more than a mild headwind though, so something that will fly a similar line as an octane in 30mph headwinds would be useful to me and pretty much cover everything I could want. Long tailwind bomber can be handled by an excite thrown in the bag or a vanish easily enough or even the fission photons.

Although I've had a summer of breaking personal bests distance-wise on local courses rotating the speed 13 lineup of Catalyst/Mayhem/Octane' finding the right mold and disc including backups had been frustrating. My best stable distance bombers have been two domey stiff Proton Catalysts @ 173-174 blue and magenta with local tourney stamp. These discs can take my hardest flat rip and go straight forever before a nice predictable and forward gliding fade. They hold up in moderate headwinds as well. Unfortunately I lost one in a flooded creek and now depend heavily on my other. The other 2 domey Catalysts I have (plasma and stock Proton) are flippy AF. Like Nuke SS flippy. I like flippy discs and I still can't use these. I Have 1 Neutron that is nicely in between that flips from hyzer and holds (as long as no bad wind hits). I'm realizing the ones I like maybe freaks.

Mayhems have been crazy as well. I have had a couple Protons that were stable to start, but lost that pretty fast. Same with my Neutrons. And the new ones at the store are super domey with the noses and PLHs sagging low.

I have 2 Octanes now and I think this mold is probably going to give me the best shot at the stability I'm looking for going forward. One is a 168 Plasma/Proton mix and the other a 174 stock Proton and they fly very similar. They aren't as stable as my good Catalysts, but are much more consistent at turning and coming back.

Status
Not open for further replies.