• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Part VI)

It looks like it too, but if you look at the website it has a slight curve narrower at the top. It feels wide too, it's all in my head... which is enough to ditch it.

Kinda like Steve Miller's Jet airliner... once you hear him taking breathes you can't unhear it

The upper inner rim. Part of the round finger conspiracy, it was supposed to be the same inner rim as the envy but it isn't. It's a lie by deep state. They even got Simon, proxy/anode. He's in deep man. You can't trust him. I bet the time lapse is beveled too. The switch tried to snitch so the oop'd its ass.

I dumped all my tainted gyro one night when a very large, hairy, and burly man, named Shandor snuck up on his electric bike wearing a leather old school biker helmet (1920s style) accosted chubby hairless naked me in my hot tub to sell him gyro. I dumped that FR plasma proxy and FR 155 162g neutron orbitals right there, as well as a 170g theory (because I'm not a total dick).

Oddly enough or maybe not, true story. I pay him tribute in Saki every time we meet in the liquor store for finishing the concrete floor in my garage until 2 am. A friend saw I was in trouble and texted the secret phone number which luckily had minutes that day.

If you're in trouble, and you can find him, maybe you can hire the A team.

Crazy sunavabitch swims island to island for a fundraiser every year. And not just one, all 5.

Now just imagine again, you have a beer, on your 14acre property, relaxing, at night, in a hot tub, around the back of your house, naked... and all of a sudden...

HEEEEEEEEEEYYYYY MAN YOU NEED TO SELL ME SOME OF THOSE MVP DISCS!!!!!!!!!!!
We need the film version of this, pick the actor you want to play you and we can start calling some studios.

Like disc golf Pineapple Express lol.

Getting reacquainted with the Reactor these past few weeks. Such a straight forehand option. Struggling with my nines a bit, though. Thinking that a lightweight Plasma Tesla may be in the cards as a happy medium. Curious about Proton, but that Plasma stamp is like a beacon when the light hits it. The most practical benefit ever for those of us who aren't always center cut.

Ha funny I've been throwing my 155 reactor a lot lately. I'm developing some appreciation for it. I've been playing it against a 169ish watt.

Getting reacquainted with the Reactor these past few weeks. Such a straight forehand option. Struggling with my nines a bit, though. Thinking that a lightweight Plasma Tesla may be in the cards as a happy medium. Curious about Proton, but that Plasma stamp is like a beacon when the light hits it. The most practical benefit ever for those of us who aren't always center cut.
Totally get a plasma tesla. I got a green one i keep losing but its like my broken in neutron. It's the least stable consistently which is still pretty stable but real workable. I'd like it if they make some flippy fission again but the last couple runs were beefcake.

I've had an Eclipse Reactor 178g for more than a year now, and reliable dead straight for gaps on an x-step last year, and form building to a 3-step this year. It's short on distance, but that's okay my Plasma and Eclipse Hex takes care of that. I've been thinking about picking up a Neutron Reactor for comparison.

When I started flipping my bag over a year ago June, I found that the Plasma's are accurate Plasma Insanity 170g left center longest of the group, Plasma Inertia 173g dead straight, Plasma Tesla 171g on a fade, and Plasma Motion 172g a reliable LHBH crosswind left to right with good distance around obstacles, in the woods a solid standstill and an x-step work just as well around obstacles. As with other Plasma's in my bag, I find Plasma's more accurate than the other plastics considering the majority of my rounds are in the woods. I have to admit I'm beginning to feel the age process and have decided to reduce weight as I lose them or see one in PIAS. Only with the Tesla did I have a Fission and it was all over the place. My Neutron Virus 167g is long on a turn, but it can also go straight on me when I need that turn.

I've had an Eclipse Reactor 178g for more than a year now, and reliable dead straight for gaps on an x-step last year, and form building to a 3-step this year. It's short on distance, but that's okay my Plasma and Eclipse Hex takes care of that. I've been thinking about picking up a Neutron Reactor for comparison.

When I started flipping my bag over a year ago June, I found that the Plasma's are accurate Plasma Insanity 170g left center longest of the group, Plasma Inertia 173g dead straight, Plasma Tesla 171g on a fade, and Plasma Motion 172g a reliable LHBH crosswind left to right with good distance around obstacles, in the woods a solid standstill and an x-step work just as well around obstacles. As with other Plasma's in my bag, I find Plasma's more accurate than the other plastics considering the majority of my rounds are in the woods. I have to admit I'm beginning to feel the age process and have decided to reduce weight as I lose them or see one in PIAS. Only with the Tesla did I have a Fission and it was all over the place. My Neutron Virus 167g is long on a turn, but it can also go straight on me when I need that turn.

What distance are you throwing? I am a beginner, 4-5 months playing, 54 years old, maxing out at 265-275', and 148-150g Fission Waves are one of my favorites. They go very straight, with a predictable fade at the end, and I am guessing/hoping they will work for me for a long time to come. I see some guys saying they get 300-350' with Fission Waves. Figure this one out -for comparison, I recently got a used 168g Insanity, and that thing is a meathook - dumps short hard left on me every time.

That's easy, insanities are all over the place. If it's a glow or cosmic neutron it's probably pretty beefy. It's also hard to compare a flippy 150g to a 168g. FWIW I think their flight ratings are accurate or more accurate haha for about a 350' thrower.

In other news threw the hell out of my tangent tonight. Man it just cuts the air, good placement, bunch of ace runs, maybe it is a putter. Tried running it with the watt/reactor, all fairly similar hut the tangent flew the truest lines. I used a heavy one as a wind putter for years. Kinda want to revisit it again, I always wanted a plasma. Feels real good. I love that shallow round rim, and old plasma tackiness, it feels like the ultimate disc.. but it only goes as far as you throw it

That's easy, insanities are all over the place. If it's a glow or cosmic neutron it's probably pretty beefy. It's also hard to compare a flippy 150g to a 168g. FWIW I think their flight ratings are accurate or more accurate haha for about a 350' thrower.

In other news threw the hell out of my tangent tonight. Man it just cuts the air, good placement, bunch of ace runs, maybe it is a putter. Tried running it with the watt/reactor, all fairly similar hut the tangent flew the truest lines. I used a heavy one as a wind putter for years. Kinda want to revisit it again, I always wanted a plasma. Feels real good. I love that shallow round rim, and old plasma tackiness, it feels like the ultimate disc.. but it only goes as far as you throw it
Neutron. I have not figured out a go to wind putter yet. What do you use for that now? What are some good wind putters? I have about 50 putters, so I may already have the right one. I am in FL, and in the 4-5 months I have been playing, other than with a hurricane close by, the bit of wind we get seems to come and go quick. It can blow for a minute, it let's up, then I throw/putt. That might happen once, or off and on for 5 or 10 minutes, but it rarely stays long. So far, I have not even had enough consistent wind at the right time to practice putt enough to try to find a wind putter. Heavy wind here usually means heavy rain too, and I am dedicated to DG, but not enough to practice or play in heavy rain.

In order of stability I use: envy, Entropy for more wind, then my heaviest driver upside down if it's real nasty.

The watts probably decent.

What distance are you throwing? I am a beginner, 4-5 months playing, 54 years old, maxing out at 265-275', and 148-150g Fission Waves are one of my favorites. They go very straight, with a predictable fade at the end, and I am guessing/hoping they will work for me for a long time to come. I see some guys saying they get 300-350' with Fission Waves. Figure this one out -for comparison, I recently got a used 168g Insanity, and that thing is a meathook - dumps short hard left on me every time.
One perversely nice thing about the over mold is that it is unforgiving with regard to spin. Focus on the wrist and generating rotation and the Carry will come.

When you start seeing that third turn number in evidence, you'll know that you're making good progress.

Totally get a plasma tesla. I got a green one i keep losing but its like my broken in neutron. It's the least stable consistently which is still pretty stable but real workable. I'd like it if they make some flippy fission again but the last couple runs were beefcake.

Well, that's done: screaming green Tesla at 160 and a pepto Photon at 162for flare skips inbound. I need to put a long pause on any additional purchases, but that should round out the bag nicely.

Speaking of, an impromptu mostly Gyro in the bag for anyone looking to be comfortably around par approaching 50.

Putting with 2 cosmic electron Atoms

Understable approach: 2 prism plasma Proxies, one near max and one in the mid 160s for float.

Approach: Tempo and plasma Entropy. Also seeing where a Mint Profit might fit. Kind of an electron Stabilizer vibe.

Mids: Fission Hex and Neutron Reactor for certain. Prism plasma Pyro is working in and out right now. Functional overlap with the Entropy.

6.5: Hokom and plasma Craves, two neutron Resistors, one neutral and one stable. Sarah's starting to verge toward needing a replacement. Probably the single most used disc in the bag over time.

9: neutron Virus, plasma Inertia, soon to be plasma Tesla (subbing out a prism plasma Wrath), neutron Wrath, plasma Motion. From straight to meat. Of these, the neutron Wrath probably gets the most play right now here as a shaper.

Experimenting with a TSA Construct here as well. Maybe a good option for controlled turnovers.

11: 2 neutron Vanishes, two plasma Waves, proton Wave, soon to be plasma Photon. The Waves are subtly but specifically different in their stablilities. Vanishes are long and straight.

At some point I'd like to get a Pound Rufus and I'll need to pare it down a bit. There's definitely some overlap but I do touch just about everything in the course of a month.

One perversely nice thing about the over mold is that it is unforgiving with regard to spin. Focus on the wrist and generating rotation and the Carry will come.

When you start seeing that third turn number in evidence, you'll know that you're making good progress.
I have been focusing on so many form improvements lately that I kind of forgot about that, but I did notice on a few throws not long ago that I did real good with my Wave when I added some wrist flick. I want to say that it seemed to help make it release/fly flat and straight for me, and maybe added a little distance, too. I have to revisit that. Does that seem right, and is it only with MVP/Axiom gyro discs, or all discs? I have messed with trying wrist flick vs no flick in the past, and it never seemed to make much difference, so I was wondering if it was because of a specific disc, or somehow because adding the flick made a difference when combined with the new speed/distance I gained recently? I have made about 4-5 major form improvements in the past month or so, and still working on 1-2 of them, while trying to cement the others, and it has been so much to think about on every throw that some other things I wondered about or wanted to work on just had to wait, or got lost in the mix. Thank you for sharing!

Also, I recently bought a used Fission Wave, and it turns noticeably more than my newer one that has not been beat in much yet.

I have been focusing on so many form improvements lately that I kind of forgot about that, but I did notice on a few throws not long ago that I did real good with my Wave when I added some wrist flick. I want to say that it seemed to help make it release/fly flat and straight for me, and maybe added a little distance, too. I have to revisit that. Does that seem right, and is it only with MVP/Axiom gyro discs, or all discs? I have messed with trying wrist flick vs no flick in the past, and it never seemed to make much difference, so I was wondering if it was because of a specific disc, or somehow because adding the flick made a difference when combined with the new speed/distance I gained recently? I have made about 4-5 major form improvements in the past month or so, and still working on 1-2 of them, while trying to cement the others, and it has been so much to think about on every throw that some other things I wondered about or wanted to work on just had to wait, or got lost in the mix. Thank you for sharing!
Chris,

All discs, but the oversold makes the effect more pronounced. I have to think about it intentionally myself, and I can tell when I'm straying.

Chris,

All discs, but the overmold makes the effect more pronounced. I have to think about it intentionally myself, and I can tell when I'm straying.
Exactly this. The over mold allows it to take all the clean spin you can give it and usually some dirty spin too. IME many of the mvp discs don't hyzer flip over as easily as a non overmold. Uplinks, signals and light waves being the exception. (At my power level).

(edit)They will all turn with some nose down high spin throws but to get a -2.5 out of an insanity you should be pushing 300'+, the wave is magical for 300'ish throwers, flippy for the 375' folks. It's more usable than the numbers imply. The next step up to a photon is a brutal dose of reality haha. I have a 143 I love and a 155 I have difficulties with and a 162 that is real beefy.(end edit)

Love your bag Mas.. looks a lot like mine and my backup/ optionals/ old friends, just a 1/2 mold beefier. Really hope you love that tesla it's gotten me through all conditions consistently. BH/FH/OH

I use envy over haha everything p/a but it's a close cousin to the atom/proxy. Hex is my beefy mid, uplinks for carving. I hope that photon you got coming is workable, I haven't tried a plasma. Motion is great for some glide on a side of beef. Vanishes used to be good for me, don't know why I dropped em.. rhythm over crave/virus. I'm liking the tempo a lot but same as always when the wind gets extreme I will be remembering why I like entropy/motion. I don't use em in the summer at all.

Last edited:

I had that happen to me this past week - seeing the turn happen. I'd never really seen it before, especially in my forehand throws. I've been adding some faster discs into my bag and on one hole I threw a used Axiom Virus (9/5/-3/1). Threw that disc RHFH and, to my amazement, I saw it 'drift' to the left a fair amount and then come back to the right. I looked around to see if anyone else saw the throw....I was so excited that I wanted to share it.

Problem is that a Passion flies straight and a TL flies straight and a Fission Wave turns then fades so a Plasma Crave shouldn't fade like an Eagle. 😤

My longest on an x-step only for a year for form building with a Fission Wave 149g during that time was at 330 feet with helping wind. With an x-step a broad range of 270-310 feet for the most part. My actual longest distance disc would be a Star Mamba 149g last year x-step at 375 feet, several around 340-350 feet all off fairway not really much help, in fairway 320 feet, ranging in fairway 280-310 feet, throwing a mamba has been like taming a bronco the past 3 1/2 years. It took 6 months of field practice using the x-step to get that snap and distance. I still use the x-step for gaps and heavily wooded courses.

Since July started working on snap on a 3-step, most of my field work developing snap has been with 6 and 7 speeds for the majority of field work there easier to work with, and 9-speeds just a few times. Very little with the driver, but its starting to resonate on the course with drivers. This year fission wave 148g I've had it for 5-6 weeks, very little work with it, but nothing longer than 300 feet down wind, but have reached 300 into a cross headwind a few times, I don't get the how, but I'll take it. Star Mamba 149g I've reached 330 feet about a month ago, and a few touching 300 feet. When I focus on those discs practice field 3-step maybe 4-6 weeks from now, I expect the distance to pick up, and should be good to go in January. My best combo distance on the 3-step has been on a heavily wooded course Neutron Wave-Plasma Wave hitting 600-feet plus. I expect a Neutron Orbital 159g to give some good distance as well, have had it a few weeks.

I've been playing 4 years, and just turned 60 in August. On my non course days, I used an Aqua Track at the recreation center for an hour, and have strong legs, that helps with distance, along with arm whip. On course days I can play at least 2 rounds with ease. This morning aqua track for the hour, and the weather was good, for field work this morning 6-speeds to start the week with some good snap. Playing rounds tomorrow, and Wednesday will field work both Rhythms and my Virus.
Also, I recently bought a used Fission Wave, and it turns noticeably more than my newer one that has not been beat in much yet.

That Fission Wave 149g I used very well for 9 months, after who knows how many tree hits and ground pounding the last month it was getting too flippy where it would turn and roll. I like my Fission Wave's fresh whether it's the lighter ones for wind play or heavier ones currently 159-165g for the woods.

Bottom line its more about course strategy over distance for me with the majority of the courses I play wooded. When the wind picks up 25-35 mph over the winter is when I carry the lighter weight discs downwind and over stable heavier disc headwind having a blast watching them in the open. The course I play over the winter is mostly open, and I'll play it weekly.

I have some light weight Mambas, and they go far, but I am not consistent enough with them on getting the correct hyzer angle. RHBH - I can swear I threw same hyzer angle 3 times in a row, and one will flip up then over and into a roller, one will flip up to flat and fly real nice, and one will go left and into the ground. Then if I get too much or too little hyzer angle, forget it - they crash and burn. One was briefly really good for me, liked to flip to flat and go straight and far, then two hard tree hits, one took a chunk out, and the other folded it up. I unfolded it, looked back to normal, but after that it was inconsistent just like the other Mambas. Now I way prefer Terns and Waves. I have a Shryke that is showing some potential - it is not quite as forgiving as the Terns and Waves, but if I throw it well, it bombs pretty nice.

My regular course has some technical holes, dotted with trees, but it has other holes that are fairly wide open, or one side is trouble, but the other side is wide open. It is the most beginner friendly course of the 3 in town, and has been great for cutting my teeth.