• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Part VI)

Problem is that a Passion flies straight and a TL flies straight and a Fission Wave turns then fades so a Plasma Crave shouldn't fade like an Eagle. 😤
That's entirely fair. I actually like the Plasma Crave for that reason. My 6.5s actually stack Hokom, neutral Resistor, Plasma Crave, stable Resistor. I can't throw the Hokom forehand. Or, to put it more directly, I think she's made a deal with the devil to get that thing to work so well. But it's magic backhand where the Plasma Crave is fully functional from both sides but not the straight line work of art that the Hokom can be on the backhand.

My longest on an x-step only for a year for form building with a Fission Wave 149g during that time was at 330 feet with helping wind. With an x-step a broad range of 270-310 feet for the most part. My actual longest distance disc would be a Star Mamba 149g last year x-step at 375 feet, several around 340-350 feet all off fairway not really much help, in fairway 320 feet, ranging in fairway 280-310 feet, throwing a mamba has been like taming a bronco the past 3 1/2 years. It took 6 months of field practice using the x-step to get that snap and distance. I still use the x-step for gaps and heavily wooded courses.

Since July started working on snap on a 3-step, most of my field work developing snap has been with 6 and 7 speeds for the majority of field work there easier to work with, and 9-speeds just a few times. Very little with the driver, but its starting to resonate on the course with drivers. This year fission wave 148g I've had it for 5-6 weeks, very little work with it, but nothing longer than 300 feet down wind, but have reached 300 into a cross headwind a few times, I don't get the how, but I'll take it. Star Mamba 149g I've reached 330 feet about a month ago, and a few touching 300 feet. When I focus on those discs practice field 3-step maybe 4-6 weeks from now, I expect the distance to pick up, and should be good to go in January. My best combo distance on the 3-step has been on a heavily wooded course Neutron Wave-Plasma Wave hitting 600-feet plus. I expect a Neutron Orbital 159g to give some good distance as well, have had it a few weeks.

I've been playing 4 years, and just turned 60 in August. On my non course days, I used an Aqua Track at the recreation center for an hour, and have strong legs, that helps with distance, along with arm whip. On course days I can play at least 2 rounds with ease. This morning aqua track for the hour, and the weather was good, for field work this morning 6-speeds to start the week with some good snap. Playing rounds tomorrow, and Wednesday will field work both Rhythms and my Virus.

That Fission Wave 149g I used very well for 9 months, after who knows how many tree hits and ground pounding the last month it was getting too flippy where it would turn and roll. I like my Fission Wave's fresh whether it's the lighter ones for wind play or heavier ones currently 159-165g for the woods.

Bottom line its more about course strategy over distance for me with the majority of the courses I play wooded. When the wind picks up 25-35 mph over the winter is when I carry the lighter weight discs downwind and over stable heavier disc headwind having a blast watching them in the open. The course I play over the winter is mostly open, and I'll play it weekly.
I see you mention x steps and 3 steps in just about every post.

I gotta ask, what's the difference?

My x step is 3 steps, so your posts have always confused me a bit.

One perversely nice thing about the over mold is that it is unforgiving with regard to spin. Focus on the wrist and generating rotation and the Carry will come.

When you start seeing that third turn number in evidence, you'll know that you're making good progress.
Does my grasp of these concepts seem right? A disc gets more under stable as it beats in. Stability has a lot to do with disc speed versus spin. If you increase your disc speed and spin equally, disc stability should remain about the same. As I throw faster/further, my discs often act less stable, more flippy. Two causes - one, maybe the discs are getting more beat in, but also likely that I added more speed to my throws, but not as much spin? So, if I add more spin via wrist flick, that should in general help stabilize the discs that were getting more flippy due to me throwing them faster? I realize everything is case by case, and varies by person, disc, etc., but just trying to see if my understanding, in general, is more or less accurate.

Increased disc speed, headwind, steep downhill shots, nose down and anhyzer angles all result in a less stable flight.

Spin will help the disc hold its angle. When it runs out of spin it will fade away.

Imparting extra spin for a flex line on a driver that's out of ones speed range usually means a late snap anhyzer or wrist roll release. You need more spin to hold the anny and get a full flight usually by imparting some off axis torque.

Any of those factors can increase flipping. Trying to add extra snap can stress your body parts more.

Smooth is far.

Just remember Simon can bomb a glitch over 300', Mike C does that with proxies. I kept stepping up my discs through 12 speeds because nothing could handle my raw power at 350', a beat up force was my favourite. Then you see these guys... with a putter. Now I'm pushing a 7 speed trying to get 300' again, with a lot less effort.

Last edited:
I see you mention x steps and 3 steps in just about every post.

I gotta ask, what's the difference?

My x step is 3 steps, so your posts have always confused me a bit.
I'll clarify, almost three years form building starting with Standstill for a few months, rest of 2021 1-step, 2022 x-step or 2-step, and this year 3-step. The few videos I watched were calling the 2-step the x-step and it has stuck with me.

I've continued using the x-step for gap play, knock off distance, and there's a heavily wooded course I play with poor gravel tee pads that all I use is the x-step and standstill.

This morning's rounds on a course I've played about 500 rounds on, I threw an x-step under canopy a Plasma Servo to a basket with a deep river 15 feet behind it, threw that disc I don't know how many times to the basket safely, watched it fly beautifully past the basket and into the river by about 30 feet into a headwind of about 15 mph. Not all was lost, I remembered a Plasma Servo at PIAS, and it was still there on my way home.

In order of stability I use: envy, Entropy for more wind, then my heaviest driver upside down if it's real nasty.

The watts probably decent.
Yes, last winter's wind Plasma envy about a 25 mph ceiling, Plasma Entropy arrived late in the season at least 25 mph, I'll find the ceiling this year. When I lost the Pig 25 to 35 mph wind, and only had the two envy's. I finished the round with my plasma prism Pyro 179g and did quite well.

In the photo this morning Plasma Tangent 177g, 76-foot drop long red basket, cross wind 10-13 mph L to R. 4th round using it, and loving it. A few standstill, and a three step such a smooth glide. I like the weight for putting, and straight in.

Attachments

• 20231010_095754.jpg
    20231010_095754.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 0
@lee76007
Hey buddy I thought I'd throw a tangent forever so I had this done on a 176. It was either that or a death star, back when triple7customs was still doing hand dye work and I was only using a putter 70' and in. Tangents are weirdly amazing in the wind. Real glad to see someone throwing them still.

I got a Prism Pyro, just don't have enough wind or arm to want it often, jury's still out.
2023-10-1017.26.583809744202436649477.jpg

@lee76007
Hey buddy I thought I'd throw a tangent forever so I had this done on a 176. It was either that or a death star, back when triple7customs was still doing hand dye work and I was only using a putter 70' and in. Tangents are weirdly amazing in the wind. Real glad to see someone throwing them still.

I got a Prism Pyro, just don't have enough wind or arm to want it often, jury's still out.
View attachment 321031
Very nice, it reminds me to reach out to a local who does military insignia on disc. I had a blank Neutron Wave to use, but started to use it more than a year ago when I lost my first one. I will need to get a new one first. I enjoy throwing my Pyro nice hard fade and just as reliable as my entropy. But it gets used far and few in between. Back in the summer I realized one day, it had been about a month not using it, still important to keep in the bag as needed.

Yeah.. I'm tempted, I think I've got 5 right now including the eclipse. At the time when the envy came out I just didn't need it as much. I think back then the backbone was an anode(2), Ontario champ rhyno, tangent(2), comet(s), 160 orc, surge, avenger ss, force.

The Tangent is very point and shoot, not a lot of extra glide (none of the mids did) but it goes where you put it, feels great and doesn't get bumped by wind as much as you'd think. Can take as much power as you can give it but holds a great angle too, drops a little fast...

Kind of a putter mid tweener. A heavy eclipse uplink is a lot like a seasoned 170 tangent. I had a whole squad of stormtroopers back then, in pairs, 170 soft proton ions, tangents and 155 inertia. Hmmmm maybe try a bygone bag, without the ions (they gone).

Last edited:
Pics for anybody curious.

Halloween hex on the left compared to neutron hex from the initial release. Looks like these will be beefy. I've got a regular Lizzotl that I haven't thrown but remember the PLH being similar to all my other neutron hexes.

Halloween crave on the left compared to a cosmic neutron crave, both are upper 160's. R2 crave feels really good, nice and flat…based on hand feel I would've guessed beefy but PLH is lower than the CN. This particular CN crave flies like it should, little bit of turn and some fade. I've got a plasma crave I can compare to but I want to think PLH is similar between the CN and plasma.

Hopefully I can get out and throw them later today.

Attachments

• IMG_3391.jpeg
    IMG_3391.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3392.jpeg
    IMG_3392.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Some plasma love, a crave on the bottom and the new disc in the bag plasma servo 171G on the practice field a day after a couple rounds. on those days I do nice and easy this is about 225- 230 ft the sidewalk you see there's about 250 ft. I like how close they are but rather see them placed on the field compared to their flight numbers. the servo that was lost was a 167G I've had since a year ago June. I can never remember it consistently fading and I remember it starting out dead straight consistent. The 167g Servo the past several months started turning and this time it turned too much went right into the river. the 171G had consistent fade on the practice field, I think that's needed more in my six speeds. What I really liked was the consistent snap I was getting from all three discs, including a few full throws. The bottom disc is a Relay.

Attachments

• 20231011_094315.jpg
    20231011_094315.jpg
    7.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
What a teaser from my smartphone. I just got a pop up headline "Eclipse Time-lapse".I was like huh, I though it was only going to be neutron plastic. The pop up was from the weather channel. An Eclipse at that speed, hmm. I didn't like the Eclipse wave, it would take off fast, then suddenly drop out of the sky like a shot bird. Only wave plastic not to stay with me, fission, neutron Plasma, and proton all well used.

Extra extra read all about it! for those that have been waiting OTB now has the Time Lapse for pre-orders, for both stock $18 and SE $23, they expect arrival around Thanksgiving. they also expect to have leftovers, see how I did that, for those who like to wait and pick out their own weight. I selected a stock supposed to be flatter requesting 170g to 172g. I expect to use the disc for wind play,.

And here I thought every one would be talking about gyropalooza 2023.. bunch of r2 junk... a total eclipse glitch and a detour new mid with -2 turn to slot between the uplink and hex. Those are the two I would be interested in.

I don't mind r2 it's a good conscientious plastic but I hate trying to find it. Now if they were metal flake full foil bottom stamped mirrors I'd be in..... that's cool I will do more gross quantities of silver paint pen art that a 10yr old will scoff at.

Interesting that they tell you what 5 or 6 discs you will get, only 6 random. I don't know if that will work for em but apparently they have a veritable shit ton of extra ground up plastic. I hope they ground up all the last run teslas so they could start fresh and make the Tesla great again. Or at least run some plasmas in a day glow colour that is less likened to forest vomit.

Last edited:
And here I thought every one would be talking about gyropalooza 2023.. bunch of r2 junk... a total eclipse glitch and a detour new mid with -2 turn to slot between the uplink and hex. Those are the two I would be interested in.

I don't mind r2 it's a good conscientious plastic but I hate trying to find it. Now if they were metal flake full foil bottom stamped mirrors I'd be in..... that's cool I will do more gross quantities of silver paint pen art that a 10yr old will scoff at.

Interesting that they tell you what 5 or 6 discs you will get, only 6 random. I don't know if that will work for em but apparently they have a merit able shit ton of extra ground up plastic. I hope they ground up all the last run teslas so they could start fresh and make the Tesla great again. Or at least run some plasmas in a day glow colour that is less likened to forest vomit.
I think they messed up with gyropalooza this year. They are releasing the neutron time lapse, but you can also but the Time lapses separately. So whats the excitement about buying gyropalooza this year? To get all the random r2 discs and save $4 a disk on lab 2nds? I won't be buying a box.

Yeah I did alright last year with one box, year before I did two and they were decent but identical haha. I wanted uplinks.. I'd be happier with one r2, a glitch and detour and 8 randoms. I know I don't want a black hex or crave. Maybe throw a few first run time lapses in.. from the response they knew they had to run stock time lapses... hahaha, I think they shoulda thunk again.

My bags pretty set and I have nicer versions of all those haha. Hold on let me check my glow cupboard...

2023-10-1822.23.384797038870268662072.jpg
Envy, glitch, hex and crave..

I was wondering where that spidey hex went, I guess I should have grabbed the hexolizotl, but that glow glitch drives me nuts at dusk. And I think they're on the front porch with the otb uplink.

Last edited:

Interesting that they tell you what 5 or 6 discs you will get, only 6 random. I don't know if that will work for em but apparently they have a veritable shit ton of extra ground up plastic. I hope they ground up all the last run teslas so they could start fresh and make the Tesla great again. Or at least run some plasmas in a day glow colour that is less likened to forest vomit.
Yep. If it was only 1 R2 I would probably be 100% in. 3...I dunno. That Conrad discs is the only one of interest to me now.