• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Need Help Identifying Old Stamp

A.Mutt

Double Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
A new friend gave this to me today. Said he had found it so didn't know the back story on it.

vintagecomet.jpg

It feels similar to Elite X but a bit different. I'm guessing its Elite Pro plastic but no idea on the age. I haven't seen a Comet stamp like this before but it looks old school. Though aside from the stamp wearing off the disc doesn't have much wear.

Anyone able to share any info on this particular run of comets that would be interesting to a history nut like me.

Last edited:
it's a comet, probably just regular plastic from that time period ( i think the x plastic ones had elite x incorporated in the stamp when they started making those). probably from the late 90's early 00's- not worth anything much. flies like a giant aviar.

Thanks ...

LMAO
But the question was about the stamp not the disc

it's a comet, probably just regular plastic from that time period ( i think the x plastic ones had elite x incorporated in the stamp when they started making those). probably from the late 90's early 00's- not worth anything much. flies like a giant aviar.

Oh I don't expect it to be worth anything and I already own a Comet actually.

As I said in the original post I'm just interested in when the disc would have been made as I haven't seen that stamp before and it seems old as does the plastic but the disc itself isn't in bad shape at all.

:slaps forehead:

the question is about the stamp not the disc.

1st run Comets looked like this:
006-1.jpg

After that they looked like this:
007-1.jpg

Sooo...there is really nothing else to say, is there? Or am I missing something.

And I know the question is about the stamp and not the plastic, but the plastic is going to be Tournament Pro, not Elite Pro.

it seems old as does the plastic but the disc itself isn't in bad shape at all.
Tournament Pro was great plastic. I miss it dearly. The Cyclone has not been the same since Tourney Pro disappeared. However, Tourney Pro had a weird tendency to get beat all to hell and not look too bad. I've got some Cyclones that look like a 6 or 7 on the Sleepy scale that are 1's or 2's...I mean doggie-toy beat. You can throw them from a 90 degree hyzer and they will flip instantly. But they don't look bad at all. So, beware the nice looking old-school Discraft disc. It might look a whole hell of a lot better than it flies.

Anyone able to share any info on this particular run of comets that would be interesting to a history nut like me.
OK, I'm just padding my post count now. Anyway...

The Comet came out in '95. Discraft really didn't have a Roc-type disc at the time. They had the Hawk, which was more Shark-like but lacked the glide that the Roc had. They also had the Vortex, which was an overstable hyzer disc that was no good in the wind and that is a really odd combination...but I digress. Anyway, the Hawk/Vortex combination was about it for Discraft mids and neither of them were keeping the folks at Innova awake at night.

So the Comet was an attempt by Discraft to copy the Roc. However, in '95 the Roc that was in production was the Ontario Roc. The Comet has a slightly larger diameter than the Roc, which kicks in some super glide. Thrown side by side with an Ontario Roc, they are very similar but the Comet generally is longer due to the better glide. In the mid '90's a lot of people switched from Ontario Rocs to Comets.

Then the Rancho Roc came out and all those folks that switched to Comets came back to the Roc. The Comet is a bit of a finesse disc, but the Roc you can just grip and rip. About five years after the Rancho Roc came out Discraft introduced the Wasp to compete with it, then the Buzzz came out and the Comet has been lost in the shuffle. It is mostly called a turnover disc now becasue if you throw it wrong it turns over. Thrown correctly it's still the longest mid-range on the market AND you can throw hyzers with it. Crazy talk, I know! It's true, though. I think the Comet is by far the most underrated disc around.

That's all I got on Comets.

Thank you ThreePutt, exactly the sort of information I was looking for. :)

When I posted this I considered just PMing you but thought I'd give the rest of the class a chance to answer ;)

Almost all...
008-1.jpg

This Comet is still in my bag. It's from the KC Wide Open in '97. I think Waterworks had just been installed then, it had been a temp course the year before. It seems like just yesterday.

Anyway, it's the last Tourney Pro Comet I'm throwing. I have switched over to the Z Comets that came out last fall, which are super bad-ass discs. This one is still consistently the longest Comet I throw, which is why it's still in the bag.

It is mostly called a turnover disc now becasue if you throw it wrong it turns over. Thrown correctly it's still the longest mid-range on the market AND you can throw hyzers with it. Crazy talk, I know! It's true, though. I think the Comet is by far the most underrated disc around.

I was definitely throwing it wrong, then (made a good trade with it, though). I have seen it thrown correctly and it will glide a long, long way indeed. It's why I bought one to try. Really domey to me.

So the Comet was an attempt by Discraft to copy the Roc. However, in '95 the Roc that was in production was the Ontario Roc. The Comet has a slightly larger diameter than the Roc, which kicks in some super glide. Thrown side by side with an Ontario Roc, they are very similar but the Comet generally is longer due to the better glide. ...
It is mostly called a turnover disc now becasue if you throw it wrong it turns over. Thrown correctly it's still the longest mid-range on the market AND you can throw hyzers with it. Crazy talk, I know! It's true, though. I think the Comet is by far the most underrated disc around.

That's all I got on Comets.

My experience with my Elite X Comet definitely echos what you say about the glide. It really does have a crazy amount of extra carry on it. I've been practicing with the X one a lot lately and getting pretty good at controlling it to hold different lines. And its all this extra time I've been playing around with one that prompted this person to give me that old Comet they had found. Of course I was instantly curious how old it was because of its different stamp and plastic. Thanks again for all the disc golf history I crave.

Thank you ThreePutt, exactly the sort of information I was looking for. :)

When I posted this I considered just PMing you but thought I'd give the rest of the class a chance to answer ;)
It's much more fun padding my post count. :D

My experience with my Elite X Comet definitely echos what you say about the glide. It really does have a crazy amount of extra carry on it. I've been practicing with the X one a lot lately and getting pretty good at controlling it to hold different lines. And its all this extra time I've been playing around with one that prompted this person to give me that old Comet they had found. Of course I was instantly curious how old it was because of its different stamp and plastic. Thanks again for all the disc golf history I crave.
I have not thrown the ESP Comet, but I have thrown TP's, X's and Z's. One of the things about the Comet is that it's a great form-flaw detector, so it you get out of rhythm or roll your wrist you will know about it pretty quick. For some reason, the Comet that gets instantly squirrelly on me from the slightest flaw is the X. The Z's are more stable and you can nut on them a bit more, and the TP's are just not as touchy as the X's. The X's can be bitchy little discs. When the Comet was only in regular production in X I quit throwing them. I went back to them this fall when they finally went in regular production in Z.

Bad-ass Comet:
084.jpg

OK, I'm just playing around now. How many posts did I milk this one for?

Latest posts